“Italian hospitality at its finest?”

Bed and Breakfast da Viviana
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I will never regret my decision to visit Castelnovo ne'Monti. Everybody will seem to agree that this place is pretty tough to reach with infrequent Reggio-Emilia public buses; but two things truly convinced me that that was all worth the trouble i.e. Pietra di Bismantova and BB Viviana.

Since this is the page for the latter, here I begin my review.

Yes, I'll admit that it is tough to reach BBViviana from Castelnovo ne'Monti or from big cities like Bologna, Parma or Reggio-Emilia. Viviana, however, extends her welcome by fetching me at Castelnovo ne'Monti town center. She speaks fluent English and she also treated me to a gelato and homecooked Italian dinner (I personally regard and value homecooked Italian food to be on par with dishes cooked by TripAdvisor-top-rated or Lonely-Planet-recommended or wikitravel-recommended Italian restaurants). She introduced me a glass of local wine and the specialty cheese of the region, i.e. (as LonelyPlanet said it) the most-grated cheese in the planet, Parmigiano-Reggiano. The view from the BB was truly breathtaking. The full view of Pietra di Bismantova surrounded by green Tuscany field was ethereal at early morning from the BB. The air was fresh and soothing. The room was clean and pleasant. The amenities were plenty and accommodating. The racks were adorned with various interesting local brochures and traveler's guides.

I'll say with great confidence that "BB Viviana is truly an epitome of Italian hospitality" after reminiscing on my three weeks solo Italy trip from Trento Alto Adige, Veneto, Lombardia, Liguria, Toscana, Lazio to Campania.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kelvin A

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We really enjoyed our vacation at this place, right from the way Madam Viviana received us with a smile. I liked the way she explained things to us and gave us more guides to nice places, the place is well kept hygienically and in order, abbundant breakfast and liberty to move in and outside the house. She also cares for all individually with a nice smile for you to feel at home. Her son Marco too was very social with us, they are wonderful peaple.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here for one night while doing a tour around Tuscany, Umbria etc. The owner Viviana lives in the property next door so once you have been given the keys to the house you are left to your own devices which is nice. You have the whole house to yourself and there are good kitchen facilities although we ate out. In the morning Viviana comes round and serves breakfast. The house has plenty of literature about local sights and tours some of which Viviana can arrange.
The bedrooms are of a decent size and clean and tidy. Would use this as a base next time if again in the area,

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank carolyne1
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed 1 night. The owner holds you hostage (1 hour) while she goes over the whole town in such detail it is annoying. The rooms are miniscule...The breakfast is a hoot--croissants wrapped in cellophane..like candy made in China and shipped to her. All I can say is stay somewhere else...she is a real pain and the breakfast is a joke. Only thing hot was the coffee!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else....it is not worth dealing with that nut case.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank 1Mack
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

I was much surprised to read of your poor impression of our B&B so allow me to respond to your comments:

- I do not hold anyone hostage, I usually reply to the many questions as for most people is the first time they come and do not know anything of the area, but it’s a favour I do and most of my guests truly appreciate my wasting of time considering it a privilege;

- I agree, the bedroom is not so big but fully equipped: Queen size bed (slatted wood and high-quality mattresses) – side tables with lamps, chest of drawers, wardrobe, hangers, chair and shelves. The reason is due to the fact that - with the recent renewal - we have decided to make the bathrooms (fully equipped) inside the rooms but - as I always say to my guests, the rest of the house is at disposal (kitchen – dining/sitting room – balconies and of course external areas).
We certainly do not advertise ourselves as being a big hotel, we always point out we are a small B&B and the majority of our guests understand that we have a cosy character and our property offers a family atmosphere.

- Given that Italian law for B&B doesn’t allow you to manipulate food (so no homemade cakes) my offer for the breakfast is the following (as per our website):
Espresso coffee, American coffee, Barley coffee, tea, milk and cocoa, fruit juice, toasted bread with butter, jam, honey, biscuits, cornflakes, muesli, yoghurts, different type of croissants, cheese toasts and on requests eggs.
Of course the croissants are wrapped and I buy food at "Coop" where I am sure I can find the best quality. If one wants to warm a bit the croissant there is a microwave at disposal –
Everything is at disposal also during the day and not only for breakfast. There is the fridge at disposal for juice or yoghurts etc, coffee, tea at disposal for anytime during the day.

I am disappointed that your experience did not meet your expectations and I respect and appreciate any guest’s constructive feed back and as such I am a great fan of Tripadvisor, however I believe some comment can be a little subjective and so thank you for the opportunity to respond.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We spent three nights at this wonderful home. The area is beautiful, and the accommodation is ideal: we had a large bedroom, comfortable bed, and the kitchen is fully equipped. The views are beautiful. As all reviewers note, Viviana herself is perhaps the "icing on the cake". This lady is extremely friendly without being intrusive. We appreciated her English language skills, and she gave us wonderful advice about restaurants. I wish that we could have stayed longer in order to have enjoyed more of the food! Marco was helpful to us when we needed advice about driving to Verona.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank maureen056
Reviewed October 31, 2011

B&B turned out to be one of the most excellent places I had ever been. It is very calm place in a very picturesque region. You can find there everything you need for the comfortable rest of your daily city life. You will be able to enjoy wonderful views and fresh air. But the most admirable point in this trip was the host. She was very kind, warmly welcoming and communicative person. She recommended us wonderful places for eating. They were traditional italian restaurants and pizzerias with very tasty meal- just what we needed! She also gave us good advices where to go to see beautiful views.
It is very comfortable place with homely atmosphere in it. I'll remember this journey for a long time and of course I'll return to B&B again.
Thank you, Viviana, very much!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2011

I want to thank Viviana for the wonderful stay we had at the Bed and Breakfast da Viviana.
the house, the rooms, everything was really nice and clean. little kitchen area plus living room.
the landscape is absolutly beautiful! nice restaurants in the area too.
there is a cheese factory 2 minutes away that you can visit with Viviana, really interesting.
i highly recommand this B&B and would not hesitate to book again.
thanks again for everything Viviana.
Nadine, Montreal