“Not a course for beginers”

La Serena Golf Club Murcia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Played again after a few years, my opinion has not changed. Having lost 12 balls during the course of the game I became convinced that I would not play there again. After a disastrous problem with maintenance staff and the greens (front 9 virtually re turfed and not good) I wondered if the €25 was cheap enough.
as 16 holes are affected by water and hidden creeks this is definitely not a course for the beginner or indeed the high handicapper. The only thing going for it when there are some 50+ courses within an hour is the price.

2  Thank RockyRobin70

Reviewed October 20, 2012

not too bad for the novice, greens very fast, fairways well kept, bar and food good. very good value for money

2  Thank Martin T
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Having played Serena each year for the last 5 years it is with great sadness I have to tell you that the front 8 holes (all on temporary greens) next to the hotel are nothing more than appalling. Despite the positivity of the booking desk/pro-shop stating they should be something like over the next few months, I have to say that appears to be very optimistic. In hindsight we should have asked to play the back nine twice had we known as could not be bothered given the time of day/vacation to go elsewhere. The booking desk through in our buggy as a token gesture but I blame our booking agent for not advising us of the state of the course. Roda up the road is also not the course it used to be with green conditions poor and obvious cut backs on course maintenance from prior visits. Spend extra Euro’s and get up to La Manga. Trust me it is well worth it. However, don't give up on Serena as despite what other contributors have said, it is a reasonable track in the sun and all should remember it is only your own over ambition or lack of conviction that causes your "white gold" to go into the water hazards at Serena when it is back in real play.

1  Thank DaveB100Midlands
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We booked a trip for 12 players from the UK over ten months ago, asking if there would be any maintenance work on the course at the time we wanted to visit. I also mailed them a month ago to make sure and got the same anwer, no work on greens, all fine.
We arived for our booking on the 4th Sept to find a large sign saying temp greens holes 1 to 7 for maintenence and 11 and 13 closed !!!.
The very rude man in the pro shop offered us free buggies, but we left immediately and fortunately got on one of the La Manga courses at short notice. In speaking to other locals they apparently do this quite often.
If you are a proper golfer I would steer well away from this place.

2  Thank Dobmeister
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I can only assume that the times when the pro wasn't in the shop he was out in his scuba gear collecting balls from the many water hazards on this course, then returning to sell his bags of 'white gold' to anyone coming past the clubhouse as they attempt the back 9.
I played this course back end of May 2012 and feel obliged to come and share my thoughts.
The courses was incredibly dried out compared to other courses we played this time of year. The greens had just been hollow tined and had an excessive amount of sand on. This didn't bother me too much as it seemed impossible to even get to the greens.
Due to the dryness of the course I found my ball continued on the ground for some time after flight. There were too many hazards that 'cut in' to the fairway, giving incredibly small / impossible windows of course for the ball to land and then stop on. On a number of occasions I found my balls 320+ yards away from the tee! The only strategy I can see working on this course is by using a sandwedge and a putter. I hit too many 'good shots' that were rewarded with a lie in a bunker or even a hop skip and a jump into a water hazard.
Iron-play on the course was also a chore. The fairways consisted of dry dirt and the odd patch of grass remaining. We ended up playing preffered lies as it was non competetive and non enjoyable. You'd be lucky to find somewhere to place it within 10 yards of the ball worth hitting off. Golf buggies / carts were slow which made the poorly planned / orinetated course even slower to get around. There was a 'course marshall' cart wizzing about the course but only to drench the green we were about to play with sprinklers. It was practically millionaires golf out there with no one about but yet we seemed to be stood over the ball about 2 minutes on our approaches because of this.
Won't comment on the greens because they were under such heavy maintenance I could not give an accurate or fair review of them.

The clubhouse and proshop etc were very smart / grand/ modern, but that's hardly compensation for the poor course. I just wish they'd have put as much effort into the course as they did the clubhouse...

There are so many other courses in the area I really was expecting standards / conditions of the course to be a lot more competitive but it it fell well short of the others we played during this recent visit to the Murcia region.

I won't be playing again, Roda was superior and closer to us so will be definately using that as my 'local course'. We ventured out to La Peraleja which was in a lot better condition, there was actually grass on the fairways!

1  Thank Tom D