“Shows what hard work can bring”
Review of Stray Cafe

Stray Cafe
Ranked #5 of 6 Coffee & Tea in Redcar
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: I have had numerous meals in this cafe and think they do one of the best jumbo breakfasts going. 5* hygiene/cleanliness rating too! The cafe is set on the grass above the beach and has fantastic sea views all the way to Saltburn. Fantastic food, fantastic staff. Highly recommended.
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Excellent food and drink in a good setting given its a hut on the grass. Decent service though all a bit chaotic due to lay out and space restrictions. Works well throughout year with outside space on the rare sunny days!

Not cheap but good value.

1  Thank Andy F
There are newer reviews for Stray Cafe

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

We went to visit the cafe this morning and me and my partner were both looking forward to having a breakfast after taking our 8 wk old daughter for a walk, as we were walking towards the cafe a member of staff seen us walking down the path leading inside to have the door shut on us as we got to the door.
When we went in to the cafe a member of staff said "we don't allow prams or pushchairs inside" i could not believe it so in other words you can sit outside and freeze or your not welcome so we carried on walking in to town to another cafe ! Me and my partner were disgusted that they do not allow prams inside as this will mean a lot of people will be turned away we will not be returning...

1  Thank SLN_12
Curlywurly2, Owner at Stray Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Can I start by apologising to you and your family for not being able to bring your pushchair into the cafe on the said day. I must inform you though that not not allowing pushchairs inside at the time was only a temporary measure. We are greatly limited for space and at the time we were having a new toilet/washroom installed, as well as a new tiled floor behind the whole of the counter. Due to this we had a lot of materials inside the building. The temporary 'ban' on pushchairs was lifted soon after work was completed. Once again I apologise and hope you may consider a return visit.

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We have stopped here a few times for breakfast and for the most part the food is quite nice. Always quite busy but The staff are blunt and very rude. There never seems to be a smile for anyone and god forbid you dare take back a cup of tea that they put milk in when you asked for black! The result was frosty to say the least. It's a shame really that they don't realise that their customers are the reason they still have jobs!! Attitudes need to change!

2  Thank SarahY78
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stopped a number of months ago whilst cycling and service was poor, tables were not cleared and staff generally rude and inefficient . But it was very busy so we queued and waited and gave them the benefit of the doubt. However I did notice a large amount of uncovered food on the counter which concerned me enough to only purchase a pre packed cake.

We called again today and it was even worse . Staff are slow , there's no system whatsoever to the service , five staff behind the counter , one serving ! . The person who served me was downright rude and when I asked to order sandwiches I was told " you will have to wait we have had to send someone to the shop for buns". When I asked how long a wait we would have she replied " how do I know ? We have a lot to serve before you ! " how rude !! No apology , no explanation just a general feeling that I was an inconvenience to them.

Whilst queuing to be insulted I noticed that there was quite a lot of food again uncovered on the counter. With a queue as large as it was I had no intention of purchasing an item that everyone could have coughed over.

It seems as if this place had lost its way . Yes , it's in a popular spot for cyclists , bikers and dog walkers but they seriously need to pull their fingers out ,up their game, get a system sorted and organise their staff. Some lessons on general manners would be helpful as well , and dare I mention food hygiene ?????

Total waste of time - carry on to Redcar and get some chips !

4  Thank Epicpug
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Used by many people out walking the dog or just walking on the stray, if travelling by car parking it is on the main road, this is wide with no problems. The food is fine and reasonably priced eat inside or out if the weather kind.