“A place to chill out”
Review of Grewgrass Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Redcar
Grewgrass Lodge
Redcar, United Kingdom
“A place to chill out”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

we have just spent 5 weeks in a lodge at Grew grass after being flooded out of our bungalow. Having spent 2 weeks in various hotels it was so good to have a home from home to enable us to chill out after all the stress.This peaceful little haven is just 300 yards as the crow flies from where we live and we never knew it existed, husband enjoyed fishing in the pond,I enjoyed all the wild life and other animals especially cheeky chicken who became like a pet. Owners Dave and Chris are very friendly and obliging. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to visit this area.
Anita A.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed at Grewgrass Lodges from Aug 24th to Sept 7th, 2013. Here is my review

Location – excellent, the site is right off the roundabout on Grewgrass Lane and gives easy access to all the roads into Redcar, Marske and Saltburn and the A174 to Middlesbrough. You do need to have transport as it is about half a mile from the nearest bus stop with several very busy intersections to cross and the graveled path into the site to negotiate.

The site is set in the heart of farmland and has trees surrounding it plus a pond, so for a wild life lover like me, it was ideal. I thoroughly enjoyed sitting with the French doors open, listening to the birds singing all around me.

The hosts keep chickens, geese and ducks and these are allowed the run of the site during the day. Highly entertaining but sometimes they leave a “calling card”. I cleared quite a few messes and we had to discourage the birds from coming on the deck and into the lounge when the doors were open. If you don’t feed them, they do stay away after a few days. We also thoroughly enjoyed free range eggs for breakfast and the Scotch Eggs sold by the host (some of the best I have tasted!)

My only comment on the downside about the location is that you need to remember that this site is in the heart of farmland. We had several days where the local farmer was harvesting, this caused dust, noise and vibration and then was followed by the muck spreader. Fortunately, we had heavy rain the next day so smell was not a problem for us. I doubt very much that this would cause any major problems for anyone unless you are a townie and were not expecting it.

The hosts, David and Christine were wonderful. Nothing is too much trouble for this couple, and Christine very kindly provided a small welcome pack (free of charge) with basics such as milk, fresh free range eggs, teabags, bread and biscuits. Every request made to them was met quickly and all our problems were solved straight away.

The name Grewgrass Lodges is a bit deceiving, I was expecting a wooden built lodge but quickly realised that it was a static caravan with wood cladding – not a problem. The interior was clean although we did keep finding animal hairs from previous occupants and a few squatters (spiders) were relocated outside. The furnishings are worn but comfortable, the double bed was very comfy and I missed it when I moved onto my next location. The kitchen was well equipped and anything that was missing could be requested from the owners. The shower was great, good pressure for England and unlimited hot water.

On the downside, the accommodation is showing signs of age and would benefit from a little attention, all minor things such as grouting/sealant in the shower and sealant around the sink. Our lodge did have a list towards the rear so that the back bedroom door did not close and in the kitchen, the grill pan would slide to the back of the oven when we used it.

We did have a few cooler days with temperatures around 10C, the gas fire in the lounge is very good for warming but the bedrooms were cold even with the electric heaters on. This may be a problem for anyone planning to stay in the winter months. Plenty of blankets and hot water bottles are available so the main issue would be getting undressed and into bed.

We did experience a few problems with the TV, the signal was intermittent at times and we never managed to get logged on to the wifi in the lodge, fortunately for me, my son was staying with me and he set up his phone as a “hot spot” so this solved the problem for us. Internet is a “must have” for me wherever I stay.

I would recommend Grewgrass Lodges as a place to stay, I have not done any research on comparable costs but felt the price I paid for my stay was reasonable for what I received. My Son and I both enjoyed our stay there and expect to go back again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wolverhampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We returned to Grewgrass Lodge in July 2013. It was as we remembered - an idyllic getaway.
If you are looking for a tranquil place to stay in this beautiful area, then this is it. Dave and Christine are the perfect hosts; the various animals on site are a true delight, and Ray spent many a happy hour at the fishing pond.
Having come to Grewgrass to spend some time with my elderly mother who lives locally, I was actively encouraged to bring her to the lodge whenever she wanted to come. Thanks so much for that Dave and Christine - it meant a lot to both of us.
We are both looking forward to our next visit and can't wait to experience this oasis once more.
Ray and Alison Holland, Perton.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed in one of the Grewgrass Lodges for three nights in July 2013 and found the accommodation to be very clean,comfortable, and in a good location for visiting the Yorkshire North and East coast. In our three days there we visited Whitby to sample "Magpie's" famous fish and chips,York's Shambles,boat trip down the Ouse,York Minster and the Railway Museum,Thirsk where we visited James Herriot's old practice and also went to the town's old cinema.
However the highlight of our trip was Castle Howard.which should be on everyone's bucket list ....the gardens are beautiful,the architecture breathtaking and on top of that, the BBC were filming PD James's "Death at Pemberlay" the follow up to Jane Eyre's "Pride and Prejudice" six years later.......with Mr Darcy!!! We saw Matthew Rhys who is playing Darcy having his tea break on the steps of Castle Howard.What more could we have asked for.
Thoroughly recommend staying at Grewgrass Lodges as a perfect base to explore Yorkshire's delights !!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lincoln
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our family have just spent a lovely weekend in the lodges at Grewgrass. We had a great time, the lodges are very clean and comfortable with all the amenities available to ensure your stay is good. We stayed here as we were going to a family wedding, everyone in the family after 20 minutes gave it a big 'thumbs up'. We had excellent weather but there is also an abundance of games, DVDs and books if you prefer. Redcar, Marske, Saltburn, Whitby are all within easy reach. David and Christine met us on arrival and were friendly, helpful and informative. David spent time telling us about all the animals, which are ponies, chickens, Indian Runner ducks, geese, rabbits, birds (even saw a Kingfisher) and you are also able to fish in the well stocked pond. Our granddaughter had a wonderful time as did all of us. This site is a quiet little oasis and we will certainly return here again in the future.

Room Tip: There are only two lodges, one has a shower and the other has a bath / shower.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
UK
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Just read Bobs review, maybe he was in a different place. ?? We came in May and had a great trip. The owners Dave and Chris were excellent hosts, discrete to leave us alone but there when we needed advice of where to go etc, The chalet was lovely, clean and had all of the necessaries for a good stay as well as delicious home made jam and eggs from the resident chickens in a welcome pack. . It really is a haven there. My mum loves the wildlife and Dad spent hours looking at the small lake, ponies and chickens, the dog loved them too. !! It is minutes from so much to see, we visited Kirleeham ?? House and saw the saxon jewels and visited the Owl sanctuary this time. Grewgrass lodge is a great place to chillax and enjoy the well run, clean and comfortable place. Have already rebooked. Thanks and well done .

Room Tip: Both Cabins are very well furnished with comfortable leather furniture, and everything you would nee...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here Monday to Friday and was impressed right from arriving through till leaving!!! Really good cabin with all appliances required to make it a home from home.With free wi-fi and comfy furniture it really was relaxing .we will definitely be returning here for another stay as was enjoyable and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank travellad_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redcar
Cross Keys By Good Night Inns
Edwardian house Bed and Breakfast
Claxton Hotel
Claxton Hotel
#2 of 10 in Redcar

Been to Grewgrass Lodge? Share your experiences!