“Absolutely amazing!! Best chippy we've ever been to!”

Oliver's Fish & Chips
Ranked #1 of 101 Restaurants in Redcar
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Oliver's Fish & Chips is a long standing business which has operated in the Redcar area for over 30 years, formerly known as Russell's Fish & Chips. The current owners, Michael & Helen Roberts, purchased in the business in 2011 and decided to rename the business Oliver's after their only son.Oliver's Fish & Chips has both Takeaway & Restaurant areas and operates Monday through to Sunday, during the hours of 10am-8pm.
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We were in town and decided to grab some chips, on walking towards Russells we smelt the amazing smell coming from the restaurant and decided to go for a meal instead! What amazing service, we ordered almost instantly (but with enough time to look at the menu without feeling rushed) and then I went to the toilet, on coming back from the toilet our drinks and food were on the table along with bread and butter!! (included in the price of the meal) - it was displayed beautifully. We had both ordered sausage and chips with beans with scribbles, the sausage and chips came on the plate and then the beans and scribbles we had ordered came in bowls, keeping them separate from our main meal so we could add as much or as little as we liked :)

The food was cooked to perfection, not over cooked and not under cooked - it was delicious! I highly recommend this place to anyone looking for somewhere to eat in the Redcar area, even if you wouldn't usually go to a chippy... give this place a go!! You won't regret it.

1  Thank Katie C
There are newer reviews for Oliver's Fish & Chips

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We went in today for fish n chips. It wasn't very busy. We took a seat and chose what we were going to have then we waited to get served. And we waited... and waited. Another couple came in and straight away the woman behind the counter told them to take a seat and someone would be over. The waitress went over to them after a couple of minutes and took their order. We threw her and the woman behind the counter a few looks and they looked back but still didn't acknowledge that we were sitting there waiting. Yeah we could have said something, but I thought it was pretty rude. Like I say, it wasn't busy and it was obvious we hadn't been served. So we got up and left. We went to The Little Chip instead, which was very nice. The service at this place was non-existant! Avoid like the plauge.

4  Thank Georgina P
Michael R, Owner at Oliver's Fish & Chips, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Dear Georgina,
My wife and I have read your review and are sincerely disappointed with the service you received, sorry I should say didn't receive, from our members of staff within the restaurant area of the business. As you will see from the previous reviews our staff are highly trained and we specifically instructed to 'meet & greet' each and every customer who enters the business. We are hugely sorry that in your experience to the establish being a negative one and you being felt to have been ignored, can I ask for some information from you in order for me to inform my members of staff and to ensure this does not happen again; what day were you in the shop? and around what time?
We would very much like you to ring the shop on 01642 477520 on Tuesday or Thursday of this week and ask for myself Michael, as we would like to offer you the opportunity to revisit the restaurant again on us.
Our apologies once again and we look forward to your response.
Kindest regards,
Michael

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Having been a regular visitor to Russell's in its previous ownership and since the takeover and refit, I am of the opinion that the quality of the fish and chips and the service has now exceeded that of the former owners. Today I visited at a busy time, the main restaurant was full so, for the first time ever, I had to use the first floor overflow room. I wondered if we may have a long wait with inferior quality food. I could not have been more wrong; the service was quick and the cod and chips arrived promptly and was superb. The new owners are renaming the business 'Oliver's' so that they can make known their quality of service under their own identity. This they will be able to do very effectively with staff so well trained. This place is going from strength to strength. Well done!

1  Thank Julian C
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I usually visit the town once a week with my 2 children, my eldest who is almost 3 always insists on visiting Russells,on occasions we will eat in the restaurant, quite often we use the takeaway (weather permitting)
I love the restaurant, it has a very fresh and clean look to it, they are making lots of improvements to the place, it's good to see people taking pride in their business, it is encouraging to see.
My favourite thing about their fish and chips is the proper cup of tea, ringtons tea it really does finish an excellent meal off.
I always feel I have eaten excellent quality fish, and always served freshly cooked chips.
The menu is quite varied, my partner is a really fussy eater plenty of choice to keep us all happy.
The staff take pride in their work, always greet us with a smile. I always have a positive experience when I visit, I would find it very difficult to go anywhere else.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

This has a new owner but the food is still good. The prices are very good as you get large portions. The decor has been brought up to date so is now light and bright. The take away part is just as good and you can take your food over the road and watch the ships go by. The only down point is it still closes quite early so you cant go for tea time unless you eat early.

1  Thank Idacardie T