“Food okay but waiting time isn't acceptable”

Oliver's Fish & Chips
Ranked #1 of 103 Restaurants in Redcar
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Oliver's Fish & Chips is a long standing business which has operated in the Redcar area for over 30 years, formerly known as Russell's Fish & Chips. The current owners, Michael & Helen Roberts, purchased in the business in 2011 and decided to rename the business Oliver's after their only son.Oliver's Fish & Chips has both Takeaway & Restaurant areas and operates Monday through to Sunday, during the hours of 10am-8pm.
Reviewed July 26, 2012

It's a couple of years since we last ate at Russell's so we returned last weekend on a visit to Redcar and were more than pleasantly surprised by it's internal redecoration....very tasteful and more of an upmarket feel to it.

We opted to sit upstairs as there wasn't a great deal of room downstairs. Our order was taken promptly and our drinks were brought to us and then we waited for our food to arrive. And waited.....and waited!

Given that there is a takeaway side to the restaurant, food is constantly being cooked and the expectation is that you won't have long to wait. What the management appear to have forgotten is that your customer's sitting-in are paying more for their food than takeaway customers. Therefore it makes sense to keep them happy and serve them within an appropriate time rather than ignoring them and serving takeaway customers!

Over half an hour from our order being taken we were without food and if we'd been in a restaurant where food was cooked from scratch to order I could have understood it but our order was very straightforward. We had to ask where our food was, we were told they were busy. My Mum said that if the food wasn't there within 5 minutes we were cancelling our order.

Amazingly our food appeared within the 5 minutes. It was okay, nothing to write home about...just okay and in my opinion, not worth the wait and not worth the bill at the end either! Next time we'll be going elsewhere!

1  Thank iwannaliveincalabona

Reviewed July 16, 2012

Clean, modern, smart cafe. Fantastic food. Great service. Portion sizes that filled our teenage boys all for just over £40. Execllent value. Will definitely go back next time we're in the neighbourhood. Highly recommended!!!!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Top quality fish and chips at a reasonable price.I would definitely come again

Reviewed June 17, 2012

great fish and chips,excellent service,only complaint vinegar was watery but the batter on the fish was crisp and the chips well cooked,only had the takeaway and not the sit down service.price was very reasonable,and it was pretty clean..............

Reviewed June 5, 2012

My husband and I visited the cafe side yesterday - our first time in there since it changed hands. Although the new decor is very pleasant, the minimal look has taken away the character, which is a shame.
As I didn't fancy fish, decided to go for the sausage dinner........big mistake! Have to be the most disgusting sausages I have ever tasted - seemed to be of very poor quality and certainly not an experience I ever want to repeat. Hubby's fish was greasy and not a very pleasant tasting grease either.......
All in all, I'm afraid to say that Russell's have now lost these regular customers - won't be going back.