“Great Stay at the claxton”
Review of Claxton Hotel

Claxton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 10 Redcar B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed in the Claxton for a 3 night weekend in July, and thoroughly enjoyed it :)

The decor in our room was dated although spotless with everything we needed and the bed was very comfortable with white crisp good quality linen, very spacious room.

We had 2 evening meals here, and both was lovely, nice home made food. Breakfast each day was wonderful, with no faults.

The Claxton is made excellent by the friendly, helpful owners & staff plus the quality & choice of delicious food.

With the fast, friendly & reliable service and the ideal situation I would recommend the Claxton to anyone, my only regret is our stay was too short!!! We'll be back.

Room Tip: Our double room was lovely, spascious and clean
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 17, 2012

I only stayed 2 nights at The Claxton and wish my stay was longer. The stay was really nice and so are the staff, in the end I was almost sorry to leave. Upon arriving the staff were very friendly and full of smiles
Entering the room, it was clean and quiet. The bathroom was also very clean.
The bed was one thing that if I could take him home, I would have done , it was very comfortable....
Very tasty breakfast, I love scrambled eggs on a full traditional english and I found it better than what the local weatherspoons had to offer.
Evenings were a pleasure here, they have a choice of 2 bars. 1 huge room and a smaller cosey room - both are perfect for relaxing after a busy day at the seaside. Evening meals were cooked lovely and again all the staff were pleasent.
Pleanty of FREE car parking so my car wasnt just abandond on the local high street.
Would recomend to friends and family to stay here .

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I love staying at the Claxton, The staff are always very helpful and friendly, The bedroom had new carpets, bedding and curtains,with a great view of the beach.Everywhere was clean and fresh. The evening meal was great value for money and the breakfast was more than i could eat.I will continue to visit the Claxton for years to come. Great value for money and a great venue for any function you may need all at affordable prices.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our 3 night stay was 3 nights too many! Two single beds were pushed together to make our double, only two very thin pillows, no lights on the headboard worked (one was hanging off), overhead light was dim and dingy. En-suite was so tiny you had to breathe in to get past the basin to the toilet on one side and shower on the other. No window in there so 'extractor' operated as soon as light put on (it was deafening). Large holes in the carpet in bedroom & en-suite which smelt strongly of urine. Curtains decomposing in places and bedding very suspect!! Furniture falling to bits. Due to very short notice this was the only 'Hotel' that could accommodate us for three nights, I wish we had shopped around a lot more!! Poached eggs for breakfast were microwaved - Yes, true, the waitress told me and the proof was in the eating - small, round, tough, solid discs! Never again will we stay there that is for sure. I advise you not to as well!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms to our knowledge! The Hotel Inspector would have a field-day!
Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank J E
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I have been staying at the Claxton Hotel for 11 years but vowed this year would be the last. Stuart Smith is no longer in charge of the place and we noted its demise.
Rooms were freezing cold in spring and the place appeared a little shabby. Alot less than we expected from a former nice and clean place.
In 2000 we considered this a decent hotel, now its just an average B & B.
We will possibly never stay here again and will favour the Park or similar.
Its a nice location with great views but I couldnt guarantee the beds had been changed and the place hoovered, I had a receipt under the bed from 3 days before we took residence.
The owners are nice and Im sure would try their best but it was freezing cold in the room and it made the stay quite miserable.

Room Tip: Go for 5 or 6 but take a fleece.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank chenessfamily
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We stayed overnight at this hotel in November 2012 on a short break over a weekend. On arrival we were allocated room 6, we put our bags in the room and went off to vist the local area for the day.
We returned to our room late on the night, we then realised that there were no side lights or lamps working, the only light was the main ceiling light.
Our main problem, however, was the cleanliness of the bed and bedding, we could both smell a nasty stagnent smell on the bedding, and as a consequence of this neither of us slept very well at all.
When we got up in the morning we removed the pillowcase and was disgusted to see that the pillows were all covered in very nasty smelly yellow stains, we then checked the duvet and mattress and both were also very heavily stained.
If we had infact checked before going to bed, we really wouldn't have been able to lie on that filthy bed.
We certainly wouldn't stay in this Hotel again. We are frequent travellers both in the UK and worldwide and always say it doesn't matter about decor as long as you have a clean bed to sleep in, this Hotels bed was the dirtiest smelliest bed we've ever slept in anywhere in the world.
On the plus side, the breakfast was good and the staff we met where helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Harb
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Stayed with my family. Service and value excellent. This is our second stay and can't fault it.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank Sparkyoates
Also consider these accommodations in or near Redcar
Brockley Hall Hotel
#8 of 10 in Redcar
Abbey Guest House
Abbey Guest House
#1 of 2 in Redcar

Been to Claxton Hotel? Share your experiences!