“Souper.”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Typical British pub serving great food
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I popped in here today for some lunch on my way back to Wolverhampton from a meeting just outside Newtown, Powys. I had a very warm welcome from the lady behind the bar.

It's always a bonus when the cheapest thing on the menu happens to be just what you fancy. I had some 'Traditional Pea soup with Smoked Bacon and a home made Cheese Scone'. The news came back that the cook couldn't find any scones, so I had a slice of fresh brown bread instead.

The soup was hot and hearty, and packed with chunky slices of bacon. I enjoyed it. However, the soup had some (probably dried) mint in it. I would suggest making either pea and ham soup or pea and mint soup; not pea and ham and mint soup. The mint doesn't complement the ham so well, and the obviously home made soup would have tasted even better without it. Perfectly acceptable for other palates perhaps.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We chose this place to eat on a Sunday evening (we had eaten at the other options which were open). We were a little worried when we saw the blinking coin machine in the vestibule. And then the menu read as any pub menu which usually serving from frozen. However, the meal surprised us - the kids fish coddies were round - they loved that - my husband and I both welcomed the nicely dressed side salad with interesting leaves and veggies, and my chicken skewers were nicely cooked and tasty. Straightforward food - but nicely presented and delicious. So far it is the most successful meal out for our children on this trip. The waiter was friendly, patient and informative. We weren't expecting amazing, and this delivered a pleasant evening. We leave in the morning but we would return on future trip.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

I was appalled at the standard of the Sunday roast I had yesterday at this Pub!! I have been there many times and had a lovely home cooked meal.... but... NOT yesterday! Everything was frozen, bought in produce!! The roast potatoes were what I can only presume was Sainsburys basic range, they were just dreadful... the veg was similar and the cauliflower cheese was hard and sat in an insipid sauce!! All in all we left most of the meal as it was tasteless and cheap quality and for £9.50 per head I would have expected alot better! Am very very disappointed and sadly will not be venturing there again for Sunday lunch.

9  Thank Elisabeth09359
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We stopped at this pub for a quick drink and on seeing the food, we were impressed enough to order a roast lunch. The roast beef was tender and plentiful with a grand selection of vegetables and sauces. It was piping hot and absolutley gorgeous. We would definately go again. The staff were chatty and helpful and it really was a delightful lunch.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We chose this place to eat on a wet Sunday evening (not much choice). Straightforward food - doing what it says on the tin. Pleasant staff. We weren't looking for a gastro experience , and this delivered a pleasant evening