“Fine for a beer, otherwise don't bother”
Review of Three Tuns Inn

Three Tuns Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: The famous and historic Three Tuns Inn, (known locally as 'The Tuns') set at the top of Bishops Castle has been open since 1642! A deceptively large interior offers lounge, conservatory, snug, front bar and function room. Standing on the site of the oldest licensed brewery in the U.K, The Tuns offers modern eclectic cuisine using simple locally sourced ingredients in a happy, friendly, bustling environment and of course serves a wonderful array of real ales from the on site brewery. Pub and brewery are now separate businesses, but work very closely together to help create a truly worthwhile and memorable visit to this hidden gem of a market town, hidden away in the Shropshire hills, designated an area of outstanding natural beauty.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We came in for an evening meal without a reservation around 7.15 and were told there would not be a table available until 8.00. That was fair enough, and we decided to wait. However, when we actually sat down and ordered our main course we were then told there would be a 25 minute wait for food to be prepared as the kitchen was busy. Had we known, we would have gone elsewhere. I asked if, in that case, we could have something like some olives in the meantime, and was told that the wait would be the same. I did query how preparing a plate of olives could occupy 25 minutes but did not receive a coherent reply. The waitress then suggested, apparently without irony, that I could buy some crisps at the bar!
We might have left at that point except that we had already started an indifferent and overpriced bottle of Pinot Noir. The food finally arrived at 8.45, a full hour and a half after we came in. The meals in themselves, pork loin and duck were good, but there seemed to be no system to the way clients were served, and the waiting staff were indifferent, unobservant and unsmiling. The whole experience let down by poor service.

5  Thank Peter R

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Four of us had two meals here on consecutive days. The first was lunch - just sandwiches, but absolutely delicious, with gorgeous fresh bread and service reasonably neutral (not particularly unfriendly, but neither was it friendly). The second, next day, was dinner. Bar service was efficient but not welcoming. Table service was OK. Three of us enjoyed our meals, but the tuna special was very salty. We shared that with the staff, but of course should have rejected the dish, rather than hope it would get better. I really want to like it here, and we have been several times over the years, but I am not in a hurry to return when there are so many other places doing nice food and with more pleasant staff.

1  Thank AndTedcametoo
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My friend and I were at a local glamping site and had heard of this pub, rated highly for its food. On arriving we were told by a waitress that there were no tables left, we were disappointed and about to leave, another waitress came after us and told us there was in fact a table we could have. We were very pleased until we came to realise, during our starters of asparagus and cold hollandaise sauce, tht we were next to a table of four couples and their rather noisy children. They were 'allowed' to throw toys around (including at the windows) squeak and squark throughout our meal whilst thier parents obliviously drank another bottle or two of wine. My friend and I couldnt hear ourselves think. When we were served our mains, we asked for another drink to be told by the first waitress that we should go and get our drinks from the bar. Now whilst I dont necessarily mind leaving my dinner to go and wait in a queue to buy drinks (and let my dinner get cold whilst doing this) I would have appreciated being told this politley and maybe at the outset. The first waitress and the larger party of adults with unmangaged children were the negatives points of this establishement. My friend did go to the bar for drinks whereby the nice, second waitress offered to move us, to which we accepted. It would have been nice for the management to have had a quiet word with the adults of the large booking to have asked them to mind their children and not allow them to run around, throw toys and be so unruly, but alas they did not and so we would not visit here again, this is a shame as the food was lovely.

2  Thank Bernie F
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Ate at this pub all three nights of our stay in Bishops Castle. Great food, great beer and friendly atmosphere. Food and service excellent.
Highly recommended.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

visited beer festival very good beer good customer service food served well clean and if I lived at bishops castle would be my local

1  Thank y h