“Amazing food adventure”
Review of The Castle Hotel

The Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bishops Castle
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were very lucky to stay at the castle and enjoy up and coming chef Johnny Stanford's amazing tasting menu! For the meagre sum of £49.50 we were treated to canapés, the tastiest bread I've ever had (the butter and beef dripping may have played a part in its excellence!) an amuse-bouche of mushroom 3 ways and then the 7 course feast as advertised! And what a feast it was both for the palette and the eyes! I can honestly say to you all if Johnny makes a return visit here make sure you get yourself booked in quickly as it really is not to be missed! The rest of our stay was likewise perfect with a beautiful room with the best assortment of teas/hot drinks I have seen anywhere and lovely friendly staff who make you feel very at home. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious - although I'm surprised I could eat a thing after the previous evenings banquet! I recommend staying at the castle and am sure you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights around this time last year and enjoyed it so, as I was in the area again for an odd night, I thought I would give it another go. I am pleased to say I had another enjoyable stay. As I think I mentioned before, Bishops Castle is an interesting old-fashioned town and the hotel is a very traditional old building at the top of the High Street. It has it's own car park of ample size and a small patio/garden area to sit out at the back if the weather is good. The hotel is clearly well-run and staff are professional yet it is the sort of place where you can quickly feel at home. The highlight for me on this occasion was the dining experience. When writing these reviews I do like to include both good and bad points to present a balanced view but in this case there is nothing negative to say. As usual for me I had a three-course evening meal and the food quality, quantity, pricing and standard of service were all perfect.
My bedroom (room 9) was probably not one of the better ones on this occasion as it was on the top floor with a sloping ceiling which was a bit intrusive but as before, it was very clean, pleasantly furnished and the bed was very comfortable.
My last review mentioned that I had to ask to switch tables in the dining area due to a draught from an ill-fitting window. I did not encounter the same problem in the dining area this time but I did encounter it in the bedroom. There was a three-quarter inch gap between the top of the window and the frame at one end. I had to stuff a towel into the gap to stop a draught but the wind blew it out during the night. I do wish somebody would take an hour or two to check out all the windows in the hotel with a view to stopping draughts. There is so much to enjoy about the hotel and the town it is a shame that this relatively minor point detracts from the experience of staying here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Topdeckman
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Really nice location. The staff here are extremely helpful, very polite and nothing is too much trouble for them. The standard room we had was comfortable; we appreciated the armchairs and the ample supply of teas, coffee etc.. A tall person of larger build might find the lower ceiling beams challenging and also the shower would be rather compact for a larger person. We dined here on both days. The cooked breakfast was ok., but elements of it could have been better eg. the black pudding and the sausage. The poached egg on muffin was spoiled by the hollandaise sauce. There was a large party of guests there on that morning, so this did not make things easy for the kitchen staff. Breakfast the following day was better: eggs, bacon and mushroom and also the cheese, bacon and mushroom omelette. The evening meals were generally very good.The grounds are very pleasant and the residents' patio would be very pleasant in good weather. Overall though, a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: We tried for a master bedroom, but none was available. I think most people would find them a more co...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Second stay at the Castle this year, but this time with friends. Only standard rooms were available with electric showers and no bath, not the super duper "Master" we enjoyed in spring. A low pressure shower with constantly varying temperature is not what you want after a good, but very wet day's walking!

Nice room, good breakfast and dinner with friendly service.

Will visit again, if we can have a "Master" or the promised re-furb of the standard bathrooms has gone ahead.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve C
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We visited and chose The Castle Hotel as it was close to an event we were attending. What a find though. Really enjoyed the atmosphere. The Castle is a very old building and the stairs might be a problem for some, but the bedroom was lovely (only a shower) but spotless and tastefully furnished with a lovely view over the town and countryside. It was the staff and food that made it great though. Everyone could not do enough for us and the fish menu was "just up my street". Friends joined us for Saturday dinner and were also impressed. The residents balcony area with views over the Shropshire countryside was delightful. Not an area we have visited before and we would certainly like to return and stay at The Castle Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2013

£115 a night b&b -
Good: Excellent and very friendly staff - nothing was too much trouble, charming old building with nice rooms and a good bed (room 7), parking, decent breakfast, great location - Bishops Castle and the surrounding area is a gem.
Bad: Hopeless showers - Triton electric shower that dribbles water at an inconsistent temperature; either freezing cold or scalding. Our group were wet and cold after a days cycling and everyone complained of the same issue. There is no bath as an alternative.
Poorly maintained ale: Bishops Castle boasts some of Shropshire's best beer but the cellar maintenance is clearly not happening. We tried 3 Tuns and Big Nev both of which were cloudy and seriously sub-optimal. We drank both beers later the same evening in pubs in the town and they were terrific.
Indifferent food - the menu is ambitious for a small operation and as ever it is about the ingredients. This is more Brakes Brothers than Roux brothers.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Philip C
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We recently spent the week-end here for a family get together. We were 6 adults and 6 children. The hotel staff looked after us very well and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is in a great location with lovely views and a big garden for the kids to run around in (and they did!). We even had a dog with us which was easy too. The food at the hotel was just right and we were given a separate dining room to ourselves which meant we were more relaxed in such a big group. The rooms were very comfortable and the recently renovated master rooms were luxurious. We enjoyed the surrounding area - there is plenty to do and the countryside is beautiful. Thanks to all the staff at the Castle Hotel!

Room Tip: For greater luxury go for one of the master rooms. However if you need an extra bed for a family of...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
Lion + Pheasant Hotel
#2 of 16 in Shrewsbury
The Feathers at Ludlow

Been to The Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!