The Castle Hotel
Knighton Hotel(Knighton)
Bell Hotel(Newtown)
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
All reviewsdog friendly hoteloak panelled dining roomweather forecastshropshire hillslovely gardenlovely hotelroll top bathreal alecream teabreakfast and evening mealbeer gardenshort breaklovely roomkippersmini breakmarket squarewonderful stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were given a very welcome gift of a voucher for an overnight stay at the Castle Hotel. It was a lovely surprise but unfortunately the Hotel did not live up to our expectations. Having read the fabulous reviews we were expecting a great stay with comfortable surroundings, great food and friendly staff. The location and setting is fabulous with stunning views with country walks on the doorstep. However, the Hotel itself was run down and in need of refurbishment. The furniture in the bar areas were torn and stained with dirty rugs and cobwebs on the lighting. The bedroom, although adequate in size, was extremely cold with a draft and, on closer inspection, there was a gap around the window where it did not fit the frame. We had a meal in the restaurant during the evening (which is the same bar room we were in earlier only with a table laid) which was disappointing. The food was fresh and hot but was overpriced for what was served and service was definitely not with a smile. Having said that, the breakfast service was a different story and we went from one extreme to the other. The Hotel itself, in my opinion, is not a 4 star rating - it is an overpriced pub with rooms with lovely surroundings.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mich_edwards96
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Called in for lunch one day in October 2012 and were so impressed we decided to have a two day break at the Castle Hotel over New Year. Henry and Rebecca put together a very imaginative 2 day / 3 day break. We arrived on Sunday 30th December, with a plan to do some walking. Weather put paid to that so after a superb lunch time sandwich at the Castle we set about exploring Bishops Castle, great little town, full of "real " shops, some of which were still open. Our room at the Castle was warm and welcoming, lots of Laura Ashley (according to my wife) really comfy bed and great views over the surrounding hills. The Sunday evening meal was sublime, filleted breast of Pheasant for me and Venison and Stilton Pie for June. We dined in the small oak panelled dining room, nice and private, the service was first class. The other three rooms in the Castle were also full of diners, clearly it has a good reputation for food and drink.

New Year's Eve. Still raining so our second planned day of walking turned into a country drive
And what a most pleasant part of the world this part of Shropshire is. Visited some old places plucked from my childhood memories, Clun Castle, Newcastle upon Clun, Knighton, Roshay, Beguildy, hardly changed. Great place to do some gentle touring.

The five course Gala dinner for New Years Eve was absolutely perfect. Superb choice of menu, ( see if you can still pull it up on the hotels web site) highlight for us was the fillet of Welsh beef for June and the Filleted breast of Gressingham Duck in a black cherry sauce for me. A good all round wine list offered a good choice of wines at realistic prices. The rest of the Castle's three other bars/ dining rooms were also full.

After dinner we returned to what I would describe as the main lounge bar, it had reverted to a lounge bar from a dining room effortlessly, so good were the highly efficient staff. A trio of excellent local muscians played us through till midnight and beyond, what a talented set of musicians to have on your doorstep, keyboards, drums and guitar, sort of bluesy, rocksy, folksy
and they did a great requested "Green Onions". A great New Years Eve celebration.
A big thanks to everyone at the Castle Hotel for looking after us so well and fo putting on a really marvellous "Party Night"

Room Tip: All the rooms appear to have been updated recently, spoilt for choice. We were in Room 7 on the second floor, the stairs and landings are great because of the age of the hotel, some of the old timbers have "settled" resulting in some unusual floor slopes.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Castle Hotel in December. The hotel is a charming country hotel with character and beautiful views. The rooms appear to be newly renovated and are very comfortable and spotlessly clean. Downstairs there is a old-fashioned bar with a very wide selection of local ales and log fires, just what is required on a cold winters night. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is the 2nd lovely meal we've had at the Castle Hotel. We were staying near Presteigne, and both times had intended to try and eat at another place in Bishops Castle, but were told there - in rather abrupt terms - that they were full and we should have booked.

The Castle Hotel food was good last time we went, so we returned there on Saturday 8th December - the lady said they were pretty full but if we could eat and vacate the table by 8pm they would fit us in gladly. as it was only 5.50 we thought we could manage that! The kitchen wasnt meant to open until 6pm but they took orders straight away, and the food was delivered quickly, was fresh, hot and very tasty. The warm chocolate brownie dessert was amazing, one of the best I've ever had.
Next time we visit the area we won't bother trying anywhere else, we'll just book and head to the Castle Hotel straight away.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here for two nights on business. Bishops Castle is a very interesting quiet town that time seems to have forgotten. Both the town and the hotel are very pleasant. My room had obviously been recently re-decorated and was quite large and nicely furnished. My bathroom had a shower cubicle but no bath.
The dining areas comprised a small room used as a restaurant in which breakfasts were served but it was not available on the two evenings I was there as it was in use for meetings by a private group. Three rooms in the bar area are also used for dining, one small enclosed one and two linked ones. I was allocated tables in one of the two linked rooms both nights. The food was good but the dining areas were not really to my taste, I found them a little drab and a bit on the cool side despite the open fires. I asked to move tables on the second night as there was too much draught coming from an ill fitting window.
Overall, I enjoyed my stay and thought it good value.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business