“Awesome Semana Santa!!!”
Review of Mimi's Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guanica
Mimi's Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Guanica B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here on the Saturday of Easter weekend and had a blast. The room was beautiful and spacious. David the owner was amazingly friendly and helpful. A big group of Puerto Ricans from Utuado were staying in the guesthouse at the same time and invited us to join them for BBQ and drinks which was a blast!! We are definitely coming back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sporthippie
There are newer reviews for Mimi's Guest House

Reviewed March 12, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a week away from work and wished to be removed from all of the gaudy resorts. David, the very engaging and helpful host, says he wants people to 'live like a Puerto Rican' but with all the comforts they are used to. The property is not a luxury resort, but is rustic and that is the beauty of it. It is well away from the hussle and bussel of life but it has easy access to a remote beach, near a beautiful little town where nary a gringo will be found. David goes out of his way to keep you engaged, and we felt the price was fair. If you're looking for the five star Cancun resort with a Hooters next door, you will be disappointed, but if you're looking for the diamond in the rough this is the place for you.

As for the "rat holes", they are crab homes, not rat holes. Is the place perfectly spotless? No, but it is comfortable to walk around in bare feet and has the feel of a home away from home. There is no daily maid service but I personally don't like people walking through my room on a regular basis anyway and prefer to make my own bed in the mornings.

A warning - there are only three restuarants in Guanica so don't try to set out and just find a place to eat. Do your research ahead of time and have a plan for meals. The pinchos nearby serve great chicken and/or pork but they are only found in the evenings Friday to Sunday.

When we plan our next trip to Puerto Rico we will most certainly be staying with David at Mimi's Guethouse again. Thank you, David, for your knowledge, service and friendship.

Room Tip: The Chistina Room has an open concept kitchen/living/dining room, a back bedroom, full bathroom off...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank primetime_ek
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here for two nights in the Studio Cibeline room.

David the owner is great, really friendly, gave us a good tip for a place to eat, advice for other things.

It's a secure place to stay, with off-street parking.

The room is large, cleanish, with a bathroom and kitchenette area, but the fittings and furniture, (shower especially) are redolent of my student flat in 1992.

$100 seemed a high price to pay.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lady-Bettina1
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We spent 4 nights here and overall enjoyed it. We liked the quiet and the isolation and the proximity to the coastal area of the Dry Forest - the beaches further east along PR 333 and the Meseta trail at the end of the 333. We had Christina, a large spacious suite with a bedroom, bathroom and a living, dining and kitchen area. There was no working ceiling fan in the living area. The kitchen did not have a kettle, and the pots did not have lids. There were no teaspoons and the only glasses were plastic wine glasses. There was one dishtowel and no paper towels provided. The kitchen, claimed to be "fully equipped" was minimally equipped for preparing full meals. If we had asked David, he would have probably given us what we missed from his own kitchen, but some things should be part of the basic essential supplies that are provided to guests and it becomes tedious to ask the owner for this thing and that thing. The bathroom could do with a thorough up-grade. The towels and sheets were good - I liked the 100% cotton bed linen.

At night it was beautifully cool in the bedroom with all the shutters open and we slept well. David is a genial laid-back host. Some basic maintenance and up-grades would make a big difference to the place and to the quality of peoples' experience at Mimi's. A stitch in time saves nine!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fisheagle2513
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Mimi's is a comfortable, well-maintained small hotel in a perfect location by some of the most pristine and uncrowded beaches in the main island of Puerto Rico. Owner David goes out of his way to make guests feel welcome and comfortable and provides great tips for relatively undiscovered beaches, dining, etc.

My only complaint is that the place could have been a bit better maintained for the price. Mind you, I am NOT saying the place was dirty -- I definitely had no issue walking around barefoot in the room or showering, etc. But for $100/night, I'd expect not to find clumps of dust in out-of-the way corners, around the window sills, etc. I realize the place is right on the beach in a tropical country, but this wasn't a budget hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank zdevil
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed for a night at Mimis and we were really disappointed, which prompts me to write my first tripadvisor review.

I'm not a demanding traveller, I usually do budget travelling and 5 day treks. I don't mind bare accommodations but I do mind overpaying.

Let's start with what's nice with Mimis:
- close to a beautiful beach
- quiet
- nice and helpful host

However:
- the only window of our room was to the common area where a family with a kid was hanging out most of the time. Not even a shred of privacy. Not cool for a couple.
- the shower had such as small stream of water that rising was a real pain (like from a water bottle), and the shower head is so low that I had to kneel down to fit under it (I'm 5'10")
- the furniture looks like it was picked up from the street.
- the yard looks literally abandoned

So I would pay $50 for such accommodations. With a decent shower, better furniture, better privacy and a clean yard, I'd pay $80. But not $100.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Brooklyn2012T
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Me & my boyfriend spent 5 days 4 nights at Mimi's in Oct 2012 and fell completely in love with the property and surrounding nature trails/beaches. David was really helpful and sweet plus informative. You could tell he really put a lot of love and care into the property which he named after his mom. We enjoyed watching the land crabs that burrowed into the soil as you walked by. Fresh coconuts grown right on the property. A comfy hammock to lay on, make sure you spray up, those misquitos are fierce & love non-locals, haha. We will definitely come back!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dee_gigi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guanica
Hotel Parador Guanica 1929
Parguera Plaza Hotel
Turtle Bay Inn
Turtle Bay Inn
#1 of 3 in Lajas

Been to Mimi's Guest House? Share your experiences!