“No Spa, No Mini-Bar, No Problem”
Review of Mimi's Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Guanica
Mimi's Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Guanica B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I recently made a repeat visit to Mimi's Guest House (after a four year interval) and was reminded of why I loved it the first time. Maybe the shortest way to explain it is to say that it is perfect because it is not. If you are expecting someone to hand you a rum punch as you walk in or a maid to turn down your bed, this is not the place for you. Actually, it is even more fundamental, Guanica and/or Paraguera may not be the area for you. These are the proverbial "drinking villages with a fishing problem" where everything that I find both frustrating and endearing about Caribbean travel is amplified. Mimi's is the perfect place to use as your respite between forays out for the next adventure. David is a wonderful host, he has uncanny intuition with respect to knowing when his guests need some input/assistance from him without being overbearing. David is a true "local" in the sense that he can direct you to places you should visit as well as the ones you should avoid. I stayed in the Cibeline Suite on both of my visits and found it perfect for my needs as a solo traveler, but it would be perfect for a couple as well. Cibeline is equipped for basic meals (I believe all are and the large suite has a full kitchen) so be sure to stop at the store on the main highway for basic provisions, you will want to relax upon arrival rather than venturing back out. In the end, David is the "brand" of Mimi's. You will find him to be a bonus to your travels in this wonderful part of the island and, for mainlanders like me, he is the perfect therapist for the "it's complicated" relationship you will have with Puerto Rico.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed June 20, 2012

This review is much overdue- my girlfriend and I stayed at Mimi's in October 2011 to celebrate our birthdays. Our room (Amalia) was beautifully decorated, comfortable, clean, and perfect for two people. We were lucky enough to have the opportunity to enjoy the amazing outdoor shower! David, the owner, was the perfect host. He granted us plenty of privacy while giving us great recommendations of things to do in the area. We had the perfect beach, dining, and sight seeing experiences while in Guanica thanks to David. Meeting David and staying at Mimi's was definitely the highlight of our trip!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mariza L Z
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Just spent time at Mimi's and we were delighted with the guesthouse and owner, David. The rooms are large, clean, and interestingly decorated. David went out of his way to make us feel welcome and showed us several of the nearby beaches. This guesthouse is a real gem for those looking something off the beaten path. We'll be back!

HG

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

We could not have loved Mimi's more! It was so comfortable and inviting and after 4 nights we didn't want to leave.

We had a nice studio- Amalia. Cite little decorative accents, rocking chair, bright colors. The bed was way comfier than the resort we stayed in- it was not a pile of mush but firmer. We didn't mind the little lizard friend on the window- its all part of the charm.

We had a kitchen to make our meals and our gracious host David (not Dave) gave us unfailingly good restaurant recs when we didn't want to cook. He also picked tropical fruits off his trees for us and was also our guide book. He walked us to the BEAUTIFUL, nearly private each where we snorkels among mangroves and we heard there were dolphins nearby though we didn't see them. He had beach towels a cooler and umbrella for us to use. We brought our own snorkels but he had those too. He recommended day trips to other towns and beaches and we all went together to Bodega for live music, the. He shows us the heart d the town on Saturday night. We had so much fun and this place was a perfect home base.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed April 14, 2012

My wife and I were seeking wind for kite surfing and the Guanica beach is a great location. So I went to tripadvisor for their recommendations. And was immediately taken by Mimi's and its reviews.

#1: David! If you are a pair of gringos in PR and wish you had a friend to guide you, David is that person. Funny, knowledgable, and generous with his time and his company. I called from the States to make a reservation and was immeiately hooked by the low key conversaion and the emailed directions on how to find your way from Ponce. Accurate and understandable (no '10.6 ks past PR HW 2099a')!

#2: The place! Funky rooms with plenty of space to spread out plus a great lawn to hang out on (alas, a lack of sailable wind for the weekend). This is great value for those not looking for a crowd of people, but wanting enough physical space to relax without stepping in your suitcase.

#3: Location! the beach is beautiful and the town small but with good places to eat. And David knows them all, including who is cooking on a particular evening and what very special something will not be on the menu.I went to church on Easter Sunday morning and it was what a service should be ... warm, welcoming, music, and a great sense of community. The priest walked through the congregation shaking showers of Holy Water from a bunch of wonderful fresh green leaves!

I've read the other reviews. I can see where some might be dismayed by the off the main road location, by the funky rooms, by the twisty roads, and by a small town. But for the two of us, it was a great experience! Thank you, David!

Room Tip: Talk to David and ask him what he thinks.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dicks2
Reviewed March 22, 2012

First of all I have to say that David it's a great guy! He even let us borrow his digital camara because I busted mine. The room was very clean but the place (grounds) are not well keeped. Don't expect a view of any kind and be prepare for a long walk to the beach. I booked this place because there was nothing else available an even thou I knew that probably did not have Wi-fi I forgot to check if it had a TV which it does'nt so if you can't get a signal in your phone you are incommunicated while you are here (no phone in the rooms). There's no pool so if you are not willing to walk 20 mnt to and from you have to get in the car to get to water. If you decide to stay in your room an cook in the kitchennette you better have all your groceries because you have to drive a good 10 to 15 mnts each way in a winding road
to get to the nearest store. If you like to be away from it ALL this may be the place for you but I like to have some more confort and ammenities for $110.00 a night, this day are some great bargains out there!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2012

If you want a place to TOTALLY relax and let go, Mimi's is the place to go. This is our third year back and it's not going to be the last. We love David, the host. He is helpful, warm and very generous with his time. We love "Amelia," the name of our room we stay in every year. It's clean, funky and has everything you need as do the other two rooms. We love the location. Mimi's is at the end of a long winding road" and is very quiet except for the morning birds and wonderful sounds of nature. David will tell you of all the wonderful places to go visit and eat and may even go with you. There's a "secret" beach that is a 15 to 20 minute walk from the place and if you don't feel like walking then there are other beautiful beaches very close by. Guanica is a sleepy town that looks like there is nothing to do but the weekends are hopping and there is one particular local restaurant, "The Blue Marlin" that has delicious native dishes and very reasonable. If you feel like venturing out there are some great restaurants within a 15 or 20 minute car ride.
So, make your reservations now and don't think another minute about it.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pebs125

Been to Mimi's Guest House? Share your experiences!