“Older hotel with some charm”

Hotel Parador Guanica 1929
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Guanica
Lansing, Michigan
“Older hotel with some charm”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a nice old building that is away from the ocean, on an inlet, in a noncommercial area. Nice pool, nice open air restaurant with good food. And NO ALCOHOL served in restaurant - which came as a surprise to us. You can bring your own in and they will uncork and provide glasses. Rooms are small but adequate, with good air conditioning. Beaches east of Guanica are scenic, but lots of litter and surf is rough. We spent a half day on "Gilligan's Island" which was fun, but I doubt we would go back to this area unless it was to stay at Copa Marina which is on the water and a more "all inclusive" resort

Room Tip: Off the road near the back is best
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank travelmolly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Eventhough beautiful spot the service is poor and waitress naive about the food. The dinner was the worst of my life the fish was raw and undercook salty with earthy flavors. The only thing in favor is the view and the outdoor sitting where you can hear the birds and coquis

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank Parador1929
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Upon arrival I opened the door to the room, I was overcome by a strong smell of toxic chemicals, that literally hit me in the face, and I did not want to go any further. I kept the door open, hoping that the strong chemical smell would dissapate, but it was pointless. I entered the room, which is supposed to be handicapped accessible and found it was smaller than our closet at home and we don't live in a large house! I walked in, and my cane slid on the soapy floors and I fell, thank God my husband was right there to catch me. The floors where not wet, but there was a film of soap on them. As I stood there, my feet started to separate and I needed my husband to assist me because the soapy film on the floor was about to make me do a split. It seems like they clean with straight cleaner and do not dilute the chemicals. I am told all the rooms have this strong odor and they pride themselves on the smell of clean, not cleaning, but the smell of cleaning. We both woke up with headaches, swollen eyes and dry throats due to breathing in this chemical as we slept. The bathroom which is supposed to be accessible, had the shower raised up and inch above the bathroom floor which caused all the water from the shower to spill out onto the floor of the bathroom causing a huge safety issue as it mixed with the residual soap on the floor left over from the mop. There was purple cleaning solution on the counter from the chemical solution used to clean the bathroom, the cups inside the bathroom had this purple solution stuck in and around them, as if the maid had cleaned the cups in the same chemical solution they use for the floor.
The room, although they claim it was accessible, was not, there was not enough space to safely sit in my wheelchair an view the TV and not be in the way of my husband trying to get to the bathroom, I would have to take my wheelchair outside if he wanted to get to the bathroom, or he would have to climb over the bed which is not safe and completely unsanitary. It was a fire hazard and a safety issue. I understand that the building was built in 1929, but so was my house in NY, and in today's day and age we must fix things to accomodate people and situations, this hotel won't fix anything to make it more comfortable and safe for their guests and will blame it on, "It's an old building", that is not an excuse when it comes to safety!!!
When we booked, we were guaranteed that my electric wheelchair would not be an issue...they lied!!!! Upon arrival, my husband was told that my wheelchair would have to go over a five inch speed bump that they installed in the front of their building (I'm sure this speed bump wasn't there in 1929, so they will add things to make it more difficult for someone, but not add things to accomodate anyone). My wheelchair can NOT make it over any bump or slabe of cement that is higher than 3/4 an inch, it will break my front axle and it will also bottom out with anything higher than three inches. This hotel did not care about any of that, all they cared about was the fact that they got $80 and would not offer a refund for us to stay anywhere else, its like they were desperate for money and didn't care about anyones health condition with the chemical odor or anyones safety condition with a mobility disability, all they cared about was they got our money. Due to the unsafe size of the room and the fact that I could not go over the five inch speed bump, I was forced to walk with my canes to the room. This caused my Dystonia to put me into severe pain. The hotel does have a handicapped ramp to get into the room, but first you have to make it over the speed bump which is impossible. Due to my medical condition of Dystonia, I can NOT walk up or down ANY incline, whether it be a ten degree incline or a fifty degree incline, I can not walk up or down any handicapped ramp or stairs without causing myself severe pain. But in order not to lose $80 I had no choice, due to their greed, I was forced to walk it. They do have a horseshoe for a car to drive up to the place, but the staff or the manager likes to park their BMW and Mercedes in front and block the entrance, later that night, the entrance was blocked by a cop car and the Mercedes SUV, so no one could drive up to let anyone off in front of the building. It took me 45 minutes to walk from the handicapped parking space into my room. I chose the stairs, as there would be less pain for me because it was the shorter distance, the handicapped ramp was extremely long and far away from the room. Every step I took sent my entire body into contractions, my husband had to stand behind me and hold me up as my muscles contracted and was throwing me backwards. I got to the room in severe pain and will remain in severe pain for weeks because of the greed of the Parador Guanica 1929!!!! I spent the night with my eyes tearing from the chemical smell, and my body involuntarily contracted all night long from being forced to walk. The beds were so soft and comfortable though, it was like laying on a marshmallow, but I was woken up four times because of the stray pack of dogs that are in front of the hotel (watch were you step, they relived themselves #2 in front of the stairs) and then I was woken up to the sound of a motorcycle who decided to sit in front of the hotel and rev his engine, no one told him to knock it off, all the guest woke up and were quite upset. I could also hear the guest coughing and sneezing in the next room from the chemical odor, the walls are very thin and you hear everything. The rooms are tiny, I was in an accessible room which is supposed to be larger to accomodate a wheelchair, but it was too tiny, I can't imagine the other rooms being smaller than that, but I am told they are. The pool is in front by the road. My husband checked out the grounds because I couldn't move, he came back and told me who ever took the professional pictures for their webpage is a genius, but no woman would want that photographer at their wedding because he makes tiny things look huge!!! The pictures on their website and the actual building border on the line of false advertising!!!

"Parador" in Spanish means "stop"...and that is what you should do if you plan on booking here, STOP and GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!! It's not worth $20 a night and I wouldn't stay here for $10 a night, I value my sense of smell and that was destroyed by the chemical odor, so we modified our reservation and stayed at the CopaMarina for the remainder of the vacation and had an absolutely magnificent time at the Copa Marina!!!

I am giving "sleep quality" one star because of the smell of toxic chemicals you are forced to breath as you sleep. If it wasn't for this odor, then I would give sleep quality a five star for their marshmallow like beds that you just sink into.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Tristalia
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Beautiful from the outside. Once inside it all changes. The room is so very dark because of the windows. Tried to order food, but was completely ignored at the restaurant to the point we left. Bathroom door wouldn't completely shut. Laundry facility was a beat up washer/dryer that was of course out of order. Pool area was great though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank shacksugar99
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This is a boutique hotel to the fullest. The room decor is low-end but the staff is very friendly.

The hotel is not staffed after 10PM, so make sure to check-in early in the day. The staff is also not excellent at recommending things for you to do outside the hotel, so do your own research.

Skip the restaurant. We gave them four opportunities to fix the problem (salt salt and more salt), but they seem to love salting everything so badly that you can't eat it. I literally fed my entire mahi mahi fillet to the resident cat (he loved it).

That being said, we actually enjoyed our stay quite a bit and would recommend it to friends with the disclaimers mentioned above.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Stewart S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Just stayed there from December 26th to December 28th. In my opinion, it covers the basics. The room was on the second floor and it was OK. Our breakfast was included in the price and it was nice. We dined-in the first night at the Parador because we didn't want to go out. The dinner was good. Again, this place covers the basics so if you are looking for 5-Star treatment, you shouldn't stay here. The place is kind of isolated but we didn't mind. You WILL NEED a car to move around. However, beware of the Wi-Fi connection... we couldn't connect on the second floor. You will need to sit close to the main office on the first floor to get a signal. We saw various guests doing the same. Again, if you don't care about connecting to the Internet, this is a good choice in Guanica. Last, there is a church across the street, therefore, there is no alcohol served on the premises but you can bring your own and place it in the small fridge in your room. Happy travels!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed December 18, 2012

This is the 2nd time my husband and I stayed and we decided to get the all-inclusive package for a weekend. We also invited 3 other families. It is a quaint hotel with no luxuries but in Guanica, who stays in the hotel, you go to the beach. All 4 rooms that were used were clean and had all necessary items, including a fridge we could put any leftovers or necessities (for babies, for example) which many hotels do not include. Every night our group was accommodated in a large table and their setup where we pick the meals we will have is excellent idea, never had to wait to long. All the waiters were very service-orientated, helpful and cheerful (although they still owe us a "flancocho ;-). The food was very good (its not a 5star rest, but fit our needs) and the portions were good. There are mosquito, but we are in Puerto Rico and the hotel sits on a bay. My only complaint was the water pressure while I was showering the first day, but I commented it to the receptionist/front desk and during the rest of our stay did not have an issue. I would definitely return and so will our friends.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is my favorite and if you get #27 (i think) its the corner room with a view to the bay tha...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Yunquemarsita
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guanica
Parador Villa Parguera
#1 of 3 in Lajas
Villa Cofresi Hotel
Villa Cofresi Hotel
#1 of 8 in Rincon

Been to Hotel Parador Guanica 1929? Share your experiences!