“One of the Best Dive Shops We've Gone With”
Review of Island Scuba

Island Scuba
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Guanica
More attraction details
Owner description: Island Scuba is both a diving training organization and a diving trips tour operator. We are fully certified by the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI), the world's leading scuba diving training association.We offer our customers the opportunity to enjoy breathtaking Wall Dive. Submerge and enjoy a breathtaking underwater scenery and marine life in the Caribbean, with a lot of spectacular dive sites, some of them just 12 minutes from the dock. There is so much to see, that you can dive a different reef everyday for two weeks and be amazed. Explore the most spectacular walls, colorful and pristine reefs in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.Island Scuba provides a friendly professional service that offers spectacular Wall Diving, take the challenge, dive one of the top dive sites of Puerto Rico and discover the diver's paradise.
Baltimore, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“One of the Best Dive Shops We've Gone With”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We dive a lot, and this is one of the top dive shops in all the Caribbean. The wall near Guanica is healthy and has diverse marine life. We saw a Moray Eel swallow a Lionfish...the first time we've ever seen marine life eat lionfish. There were dolphins swimming on the boat ride to the wall. The wall wasn't beat up from over diving, so it was in great shape. We dive a lot and have experienced lots of dive shops. Pedro and Nayda have one of the best.

There are two things that set them apart from just about any other dive shop. First, they let you dive how you want, and the dives aren't timed. Pedro would check in periodically, but he let us experience what we wanted and wasn't just a tour guide. Second, they love to dive. This makes a big difference. We've been with other shops where the primary goal is to make money, and with Island Scuba it's more people that make money doing what they love. You can tell the difference. The staff will take care of your gear and set it up for you on the boat prior to you getting to the dive shop in the morning.

Outside of diving, Nayda helped us get fresh fish and even called to the next town since the fish market by us was out that day. She also gave recommendations for other things to visit in the area. Guanica, where the shop is located, is a really small town, but it's incredible. The people are nice and the scenery is fantastic. If you're in Puerto Rico, you owe it to yourself to dive the wall in Guanica.

Visited November 2012

Orlando, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Go for it !”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

If you are considering diving the wall in Puerto Rico this is the place to go, very short ride to the wall from the dock in Guanica, PR ( playa santa ) i book a dive with paradise in la parguera i went next morning to the shop and it was close no courtesy call, nothing a total waste of my day so i found this place Island Scuba about 20 minutes away from la parguera in Lajas and book for the next morning dives after the awesome dives and great operation Pedro and Nadya at the shop were fantastic, i would not consider any other operators in the area meaning the the other guy in parguera name paradise scuba.

Note: i do not mean West Divers in parguera they were true to me and toll me they were slow at the time that i was there they simply took my number to Let me know if more divers arrive for next morning to head out, this happend in slow season and traveling alone as i did.

Can't go wrong

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Junit0
Orlando, Florida
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 286 helpful votes
“They are the best.”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is a real shop in the south part of the Island. If you are in San Juan, rent a car and drive 2 hours for this amazing, beautiful and great experience. This is A MUST DO! I'm a tour coordinator and I can give you all the inn and out of this beautiful island, this proffecional staff, great dive shop (very complete) and the morning cup of coffee, it's a MUST DO!
The staff is real nice, very welcoming (730am) AAAHHHH! sleepy mood, but as soon as you get in they treat you like at home. Smell the coffee and they will serve you a cup. enjoy! that is so Puertorrican, and I think that was the click for me. Then the owner take you to 2-3 differents spot to dive. I had a Blast and I'll be back in november. I cant wait. This place is GREAT!!!

Visited July 2012
Virginia, United States
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dive with Island Scuba Today!”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We were referred by Debra with Travel Maps in San Juan. As a Biologist at an Environmental Consulting firm in the States, I was impressed with both Nadya and Pedro's ecological approach to diving. They acted as stewards throughout our experience with them, both when booking and underwater too. Nadya was truly kind and patient waiting out Tropical Storm Ernesto with us and Pedro as our dive master was a fantastic and conscientious leader. Elvis could not have been better as the first mate, so helpful with our gear. Rates were affordable and what a day at 120 feet! Don't miss a dive on The Wall with Island Scuba!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Kristin F
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Operation”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I was referred to Island Scuba by the owner of Mimi's Guest House where I was staying, which turned out perfectly. Most importantly, Island Scuba was able to confirm that they would take me out regardless of the number of other divers (another operator in the area said they would call me back if two other divers signed up). Small details make a big difference to me with a dive operator; in this case it was one particular nuance in Nayda's safety briefing that impressed me. Of course she did the standard "tour" showing us where life jackets and fire extinguishers are stored but then she went on to explain how to use the ship radio and identify our boat and send out a distress signal. I am not really sure why that impressed me except that I don't think I had ever really heard a safety briefing that included how to handle a situation if I were the only one capable of seeking assistance. It seemed so basic when I heard it from her, but the fact that this small detail is included in their briefing indicated to me that they prioritize safety. The diving was the typical wall dive of the Guanica/Paraguera area. The swells were a little high the day we dived, so timing the whole ladder exit thing was the only tricky part. The dive masters were willing to guide, but allowed divers to do their own thing if preferred. They trusted our ability to manage our own gas and did not have arbitrary limits on bottom time. Pedro and Nayda seem like wonderful people and are now the only operator I will use on my return travels.

2 Thank H2Ojunkie