“Beautiful and relaxing”

Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guanica
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Our family (adults, teens) enjoyed our stay here for about 4 days over spring break. It started out a little rough when we were given a room other than what we had expected, and because the hotel was full, it took a while to sort things out and find a satisfactory resolution. But the staff did make every effort to make that happen, and we ended up with two very comfortable and spacious adjoining rooms with a beautifully serene view over the palm studded lawn and the ocean.

From there on the trip was wonderful -- the days seemed to stretch on forever (in a good way!) when there was nothing we were obligated to do and so many nice places to relax. Even though the hotel was full, it never felt crowded. It's not the kind of hotel where you have to rush down to the pool at 6 a.m. to claim your poolside chairs with a towel. We found that if you mosey down at 10 you'll find a chair just fine. It's not as easy to land one of the mattresses-on-stilts-under-thatched roof, but over the course of our stay we had the chance to sample those too, as well as to relax on chaise lounges under a tiki hut (on the beach or in the water!) and to lounge in the hammocks hanging here and there.

The beach is not good for swimming, but there are nice pools and there's a lovely (free) public beach just a five minute walk down the sand. Even though it was spring break for all the schools in Puerto Rico, that beach wasn't crowded either.

We rented snorkeling equipment that we took out (on a hotel launch) to the small island they nickname "Gilligan's Island." It's actually part of the same public park that is inland from the hotel. If you're a snorkeling expert you probably won't find the underground flora and fauna particularly interesting, but for us novices it was a lot of fun (and pretty easy). There's a loop through two mangrove channels, but do ask when you get the equipment which direction to swim in, as you'll swim upstream in one and downstream in the other and one has a stronger current. It was a quite crowded on the island, but we were told that was because it was spring break, and that it's uncrowded during the rest of the year. Regardless, it was lots of fun.

The kids also kayaked, which was easy to arrange and do. Breakfast and dinner were included in our rate, and we ate lunch at the resort as well as there aren't many other choices nearby. Food was good and most meals were outside. The hotel sits in the middle of another part of the public park, which is actually a "dry forest" and which we heard had interesting hiking. Too hot and too energetic for us.

We loved our stay and will go back if we have the chance!

Room Tip: Stay in one of the buildings that face on the main green area if you can. One of the rooms we were...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank gramana
There are newer reviews for Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Our Family of 3 Adults truly enjoyed our visit to the Copamarina. The resort is rather isolated, but perfect for a few relaxing days. The grounds and pool areas are well-maintained, with many orchids, and amazing Rainbow Eucalyptus trees. The beach is scenic, but shallow, grassy and turbulent, so the best swimming and snorkeling in the area is at a small Mangrove island group just offshore, Guilligan's island. The resort runs a clean, prompt catamaran every hour to/from the islands.
The restaurant service is excellent, and the food tasty, although a bit more variation on the menu would be appreciated, as it is really the only place around to eat.
The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, with a nice view. We had a "Garden View" that looked out over the ocean.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have Ocean Views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Rabin O, General Manager at Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear Charming and Relaxing;

Thanks for your kind remarks regarding your recent stay at Copamarina, We are happy to read that you had enjoyed your visit!

We hope to see you in the near future,

Appreciated

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I was really looking forward to a one night stay on my "trip around the island."
It was a pricier hotel, but knew I'd enjoy some "relax" time.
I arrived and the scene was amazing -- beautiful chairs, pool, beach, etc.
And then I waited. And waited. And waited. I only had a few hours of sunshine left, and wanted to enjoy that beautiful beach! Other employees walked into the reception area, looked at me, and walked out. Then, as the employee finally wraps up with the other guest, another guest jumps right in front of me and the employee says NOTHING. Doesn't even apologize to me. I finally get my room information, and NO offer of help. I don't think much of it, as I don't usually take them up on the help. As I walked to my room I realized I probably should have asked. It was very far and NO parking anywhere close. I arrive at my room, drop the bags and go to use the bathroom. As I approach the toilet I realize I'm standing in water. The room smelled funny. I aborted the toilet use and checked out the shower - dirty. The couch and "make up chair" were stained. And the AC unit was disgusting. I called the front desk and asked for a room change. Outdated is one thing. Dirty is another. To their credit, they did locate me to another room. And provided me with luggage assistance this time. (After I had walked with my bags all the way back to reception-- using the pool bathrooms along the way!) Arriving in the next room, it at least smelled a little better. But not much. I decided to "move on" and finally make some use of that beach. I changed, went out and sat in a chair and relaxed. Their beach environment is quite lovely, and I even took a short nap despite the pool "exercise" session that started, with music at top volume. (End of day? really?) Unfortunately, I am still paying the price of that nap. PLEASE, whatever you decide, use TONS of bug spray, even during the day. I am COVERED.

Overall I would say the hotel was worth MAYBE half of what I paid, (About $100 total, including their $18.81 resort fee. FOR WHAT? A beach towel?!) and that's just because of the location. In reality, I wouldn't stay there again for any reason. Ever.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jamieloves2travel

Dear NOT Impressed;

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the wrong first impression experienced upon arrival at Copamarina on your recent visit,
Your comments as a valued guest and help us to identify our downfalls and give us the opportunity to rectify on areas of opportunities,
I have shared your comments regarding the cleaning details that you had pointed to our housekeeping department to correct and avoid recurrences of same, The standing water was due to a broken water pipe that most likely happened before arrival creating humidity smell as well.
Copamarina has being in business for the last 50 years and had periodical improvements to maintain the property in tune between surroundings and our guest expectations, Our renovation budget has being approved an before mid next year we shall have a completely renovated guestrooms for the comfort of our guests,
We are nested in 20 acres of land that provides amplitude of space for the ones looking for a peaceful corner as well for the ones that are looking for some extra activities, besides the beach towels, our resort fee cover complimentary parking, WI-FI across the 20 acres and a contribution to the maintenance of Gulligan Island, an alternate beach facility featured to our guests.
One again, our apologies for not fulfilling your expectations
Sincerely

Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights to experience a different part of the island during our visit to Puerto Rico. The staff are very friendly and the accommodations are nice. Do not expect 5 star rooms... They are not, but they are very nice. Our room was in 1st floor and backdrop ropes to go out to beach... Lovely. They gave us T-shirts which we enjoyed and the gift shop was affordable. We went to Gilligan's Island and had a great time there as well. The water was nice and clear all they way... Just beautiful! The mangroves made for a unique experience as well. I would not stay here for more than a couple of days and would definitely recommend anyone to stay here for a nice stay. Our daughter (10) loved the hammocks, pool and Gilligan's island. We ate at the restaurant one night and the food was great.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank MVBonilla
Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

We truly enjoyed our 10 day stay at this resort. The grounds and views are gorgeous, the food is well above average for a mid priced place like this in the Caribbean, and the meal plan worked out perfect for my husband and our 2 boys. The grouper mofongo dish is incredible...I could have ate it every night! Mu husband loved the skirt steak and the whole red snapper.

My husband hurt his foot where a plank broke on the deck near the infinity pool and the managers were completely on top of it! He didn't need medical attention so one of the managers herself cleaned and took care of his foot. They had people there immediately to replace the boards and they left us beachside massage gift certificates for both of us later that day.

The only thing I could say negative is the beach isn't really very swimable with its shallow water and grassy bottom, but the pools make up for it as there are other amazing beaches in the area (my favorite is Suchia in Cabo Rojo) We found plenty to do in the area, but we always rent a car, if you don't, you could get bored. And although wait service is always slow and laxed in the Caribbean, I do think a few of the wait staff could be a little friendlier, but most of them were great!

All and all this is a fantastic, beautifully maintained resort with good attention to detail and delicious food. We plan on going back next year for sure!

Stayed: November 2013

Dear "'we will definitely be back next year"

Thanks for your kind remarks ! Hopefully your husband is fully recovered and looking forward to the next visit !

Appreciated;

Reviewed November 13, 2013

It was a perfect weekend... no flights, no rental cars, just a 20mnt drive from Ponce to enjoy a secret paradise!!!!! Service was great at all times since we arrived to the hotel, Alexandra (main restaurant) was amazing and Las Palmas Café was very good also.....
Look forward to go back!!!!

Room Tip: Garden View have great access to pools areas
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ortizinsurance

Dear ''amazing getaway"'

Happy to hear that you have found your getaway place just 25 minutes away from home!!

Looking forward to see you again!

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed on this hotel for two months (due to work) and this is what I noticed: rooms are average but you are paying for a four start. Ambience is calm and quiet, very relax. But if you want some excitement you will have to drive a while for it. If you want a city like environment do not even bother and go to San Juan. I do not recommend this hotel for a stay longer than 3 days unless it is work related. Do not spend your money at the hotel restaurant unless you do not mind paying a lot of money for cheap food and the serving size smaller than a happy meal(kids meal size). The pool area is nice and very relaxing. The beach is okay, I have seen better. The customer service is average. If you are looking for a quiet get away this hotel will meet your expectation.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank luckynikki25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guanica
Hotel Parador Guanica 1929
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Cabo Rojo
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort

Been to Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!