“Great Place to Kayak”

Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guanica
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed at Copamarina for three days and was able to rent a kayak and paddle around the shore lines in and out of the mangroves, go to an unihabitated island just off the shore.
The southern side of Puerto Rico is very different from the San Juan region - less tourists, and more Puerto Rican families. Lots of activities on the southern side - there is actually a desert, there is an irredescent bay of water - and on a full moon night if you go swimming at sunset, you glow

Room Tip: From what I could tell, all rooms are great - just depends on the size of you family/group.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Copamarina is a very nice hotel with beautiful, well-kept grounds on the southern coast of Puerto Rico. The diving is first rate, along one of the world's longest walls and the boat docks on the property. The area is fairly undisturbed, making it even nicer. The hotel's beach is nice and the pools and whirlpools are great. We enjoyed breakfast and dinner at the outdoor restaurant and the food was good and selection varied. The hotel is next to the dry forest which made for interesting exploring. If you take the road along the beach east from the hotel, you have the dry forest and cacti on one side and the ocean and palm trees on the other side, with some nice beaches. We also went to the main entrance to the dry forest and stopped along the way at a bakery that had really good sweet rolls. Guanica is about a 3 hour drive from San Juan, but well worth the trip.

Room Tip: It looks like all the rooms have an ocean view. Ours was on the first floor and you could walk righ...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Beetky
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Had a wonderful time - just wish the beach was more of a beach. Very relaxing in general. Only complaint would be the workman starting on the roof so early. and the BUGS. Restaurant could add some more selection/choices but good overall. With bugs/flys that come with eating outdoors the staff should probably be a little quicker about clearing finished meals. Staff was very friendly and helpful. This is the place if looking for "nothing to do" but relax.

Room Tip: all rooms seemed ok
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Just came back from a one-night only stay but I wish I would've stayed longer. Girls at the Reception are just wonderful (thanks for everything Jeaseny) as the rest of the staff. Alex with the water equipment rental was particularly helpful and encouraging, so we ended up kayaking to Gilligan Island (the earlier you do it the better as there are strong winds in the afternoon).
Wish I could've stayed longer and wish I didn't leave my purse in the luggage room (just a little piece of advice which should've been common sense). Everything else was just great, already planning to go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Siouxtrois
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have been meaning to write this review for months since our stay in February '13. We travelled as a family of 4 (including my two daughters, 16&18). I did lots of research on Copamarina and several other resorts around the island. The others seemed just too tourist and too big or corporate for us. We are from the Boston-area and like a little of the local flavor in a quiet environment since we all needed a break from school and work. Copamarina provided exactly that!

1. GROUNDS. Just Excellent. We loved the impeccable grounds and pools. Really the grounds crew is second to none and we thank them for keeping this place a true gem of paradise. Give them a raise! (I'll address the beach separately.)

2. STAFF. The hotel staff was fine, mostly friendly but I don't have much to add since I try not to complain while on vacation. If we needed them I'm sure they would be there for us. Which leads me on to the facilities...and rooms.

3. FACILITIES. The gym (I didn't use) looks small but well-equiped and air-conditioned! The tennis courts were quite nice, lighted at night and always available. We used the ping-pong table which was fun. The dive shop was friendly, although we were just too tired to go out on a trip, my family did use them for kayaks and my husband loved sailing the hobicat (scares me). Here's the best part though...the beach beds! Once I discovered these on my second day, I seldom moved from one. I tried them all. I want one at home. These were the best thing about the resort for me. That's all I can say on that.

4. ROOMS. This one is hard for me. Here is one or two areas that keeps this property from being "luxury" or 5-star, and even sliding off the edge of 4-star. So I can be really picky or decide to let things go. Again, I did my research so I knew what to expect...average...mostly. When I walked in I was okay and my expectations were met. The room was fine. It was fairly large, average, definitely dated as others are saying, and a little too dark for my taste but, oh well, I won't be in the room much. The beds were decent, that's good. Not enough storage space for four people even though there is plenty of room for another chest. Now, after settling in a bit and really taking things in, here is where I decided to let things go: THE BATHROOM - not what I expected! I really want a clean bathroom and this one was challenged. It's old, slightly moldy, showerhead had build-up and just didn't feel clean at all. My husband said it would be fine and to let it go. Deep breath, he's right and I did. I really should have mentioned it to the front desk but I was on vacation and didn't want to cause any problems, so I didn't but suggest that if these things bother you that you go right to them. I do have one strong suggestion here: Hotel Cleaning Staff, PLEASE clean the back side of the bathroom doors! Ours was covered in black mold. Not kidding. I get it, it's the caribbean and these things happen but you really need to the clean the doors. My hand kept sticking, gross!!! Finally I took a wash cloth and cleaned the whole thing myself. I hated thinking of my daughters touching that. The next guest didn't know what a bonus they got. BED LINENS - Really, hotel managers, just throw these current ones out. You got your money's worth...about 15 years ago! They are old, ours had holes and I hated to think of what else I wasn't seeing. Guests, just take them off. They are sub-par. Such an easy fix that would improve the rooms greatly that I don't get it? Our solution, just don't spend much time in the room, which was easy since the grounds were so lovely.

RESTAURANT (s): Nice. We liked them. The breakfast buffet is pricy and would encourage me to overeat so I only had it twice in 6 days, but my family enjoyed it a few times. We where lucky enough since the hotel was mostly full the week we were there that the pool bar and grill was open and my daughters loved that. Simple grilled food for lunch. Perfect. Dinner at either restaurant was good and flavorful, but I wouldn't say excellent (the steak was great though). The indoor restaurant does have a nice flair about it but mostly we loved eating outdoors. The service at either restaurant is spotty to bad. It seems the staff just gets lost along the way. What are they doing? The manager stands in the center frowning at them all and I think they are scarred. I've been a waitress in an earlier life and it actually takes good organizational skills and hard work to be good at it...no one here has that. Also, smiling at your customers would be nice and there is almost none of that. Part of the problem might be that we tipped very well (always 20% except once at 15% when it was beyond bad service) because we felt bad for them. Others may do this as well, how can you not? So, I guess there's no incentive to change. As far as prices, we are from Boston so we weren't shocked. Also, if you're from NYC you'll be okay. If you are from anywhere other than the east coast, say the midwest, you will find it expensive so be forewarned. (I grew up in Mpls/St. Paul so I know of which I speak). But again, it's vacation so whatever.

BEACH. Another hard one. I did my research and understood, well, at least I thought I did. I couldn't really believe others when they said you couldn't swim here. They must just be too picky, right? Wrong. Just believe me, you can't swim from the beach BUT you can enter the water off the dock which worked for us. And the water is not the true Caribbean blue here, which is a little sad...but you can see it off the coast so that's good. We were okay with this since, again, the grounds were so lovely (I repeat). Also, you can walk to the public beach next door which was almost completely deserted during the week days. Our trip to Gilligan's Island (I prefer it's true name of Aurora Key) was fun and interesting. But even on a weekday it gets crowded so go early. One visit was enough for me. Oh, I forgot to mention that the beach waitstaff back at the resort is a nice touch and important to keep. These women actually smiled too.

ENTERTAINMENT. Not much. That's okay and what we were looking for. Teens need to have siblings or friends along to make it bearable though. There were some others around that week but it seemed difficult for two blond teenage girls to break in among the teen boys (Really boys?! I know you saw them. Were you just scared and couldn't speak? Amusing.) The staff ran outdoor movies a few of the nights we were there. Excellent move on behalf of the management. It was fun and appreciated. Keep that.

THE DRIVE. It's not that bad, enjoyable really. It was great to be off the beaten path. There is nothing around the resort and we were happy to stay put. Yet, I was a bit nervous about what I was hearing about the drivers there but, again, we are from Boston were we have insane drivers.

I know this review is way too long (I've never submitted one this long) but that sums up the point. It's not an easy answer. While Copamarina is lovely, it's not perfect and that is what you need to understand. We have been to other resorts in the Caribbean that are perfect so I know they are there but they are more expensive too. We really did love being at Copamarina and I recommend it. Just understand it's pros and cons, and you will have a great time as well. Bottom line, will we go back? Maybe, and I'd be happy if we did...I just hope the bed linens/spreads have been changed and the bathrooms cleaned top to bottom. For what Copamarina is and being priced accordingly, I give it 4-stars, that's pretty good.

Go and relax!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank artistic
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The staff was very nice and cordial at all times. Hotel is very well kept and rooms although basic are very nice. The trip to Giligans island was nice and the water was so clear and calm. The food at the Palms cafe was excellent and the waitress was very nice also. The food was a bit pricey but no more expensive than anything you can find at a resort. Only recommendation is to have more activities for the kids since there was a lot of families with children and the only thing to do for them was a small playground and pool.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The beach is not really good for swimming that the hotel fronts but you can take the ferry for $7 for a round trip to "Gilligan Island" which was very nice. The rooms are nice and clean; they are pretty typical looking hotel rooms. The gym was nice as well.
The staff at the front desk as well as the cafe bar was all great. I had a few special diet requests and they were very accommodating by preparing special meals not on the menu. Thanks a lot! The food and drinks were great! It was nice not having to drive off the property. The restaurant is a little pricy but typical of a resort.
We hiked in the adjacent dry forest to the little old fort. The guy at the front desk was very helpful giving us directions and a map. It had a really great view from on top of the fort.
We had a deluxe ocean front room with a king bed. The room is a bit far from the water compared to most hotels. I think this resort is a pretty good value for the price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guanica
Hotel Parador Guanica 1929
Combate Beach Resort
Combate Beach Resort
#1 of 9 in Cabo Rojo
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort

Been to Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!