“Nice and relaxing” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Guanica
New York City, New York
“Nice and relaxing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

The only annoying part of this hotel is the drive up. The long road up
to the resort is very narrow and twisty. You have to constantly focus to
stay on your side of the road as car or bus passes in the opposite direction.
I only add this because it seems like we went back and forth quite a bit and I hated
the drive!

We checked in at 3pm (check in time), but our room was not ready. They called
me on my cell phone when it was ready (1hr later), and gave me free drink coupons
and another hour added to my check out time as compensation.

The hotels grounds are very scenic and upscale. Several pools, hammocks, and
beach chairs front a beautiful beach. There is a very nice bar/restaurant overlooking the beach with some TV's and tables where they serve breakfast, lunch and dinner. The
indoor restaurant was closed during the time of our stay. There are free kayaks and
water sports available along with a full service dive shop. Unfortunately, due to strong
wind and surf conditions the dive boat would not go out during our stay. The rooms
were very spacious and impeccably clean. No complaints at all. All rooms have large
balconies. We paid extra for an ocean front room, but regretted it once we checked in.
It was great, but looking around I don't think it was worth it as all of the rooms seem to
have a nice view of the beach. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner at the restaurant
bar and all meals were excellent. It is all a bit pricey though, and you should definitely
buy drinks and snacks ahead of time to save some money...the room has a refrigerator.

Room Tip: No need to upgrade to oceanfront.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Bedford, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is difficult to describe, but lets see what I can do with this. Copamarina is a place for locals.
Its huge on the weekends. And any time of year the winds are coming in from offshore. People go there to relax and eat. The food is the major attraction. Primarily dinner. Its a feast and that is the only way to describe it. Even though its on the water depending on the wind there can be a huge amount of algae and swimming just does not work out. They can function as a regular hotel, but that is not really what they do as others have noted. Just understand what your getting before you get there and you will be fine.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank dolphingvp
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I went to Copamarina with my husband and daughter (2 years old) from Sunday to Tuesday. When we arrived the room wasn't ready. We have to wait around half and hour. I have no complaints with the room overall. The only thing I didn't like was the loud sound from the A/C. The first night I couldn't sleep very well. I enjoyed the view from our balcony; it was very relaxing. My daughter liked so much the pool and the beach was perfect for her. We have breakfast two days at Las Palmas Cafe and the food was good. We paid around $40 (including tip) each day. The restaurant and pool bar were closed. They are only open on weekends. My advice: 1) you could bring food from home and eat in your room (there is a mini fridge; coffeemaker; and the hotel has ice machine); 2) if you are going to Guilligan Island, you have to pay $7 each for the roundtrip (in the island is nothing to eat, so you have to bring snacks and drinks); 3) do not visit "San Jacinto Club/restaurant" near the hotel; the food is overpriced, so you better eat at the hotel for the same cost and more quality.

• Stayed May 2013
Columbia, Maryland, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I would like to star by saying that this is not a hotel, is more like what Puerto Ricans called “Parador” or small inn, which are cheaper than a hotel, but Copamarina is a parador with a 4 star hotel price. People in the front desk were not very helpful; especially a young lady with a bleach hair had such a bad attitude, like if we were there uninvited, she looked upset every time we asked a question. The beach looks great in pictures, but is infested with mosquitoes, no wonder I never saw anyone enjoying the hammocks and/or beach chairs. No one could stay there for more than 5 minutes. The place is very humid and the AC does not really work, all my paper and bed were always wet.
I was there on a business meeting so we needed it to have breakfast before 7, I was told by the front desk that if we talk to a server in the restaurant they could fix coffee and bagels for us, (there is nothing else around that area where we could buy coffee) When we talked to the person in the restaurant about having coffee, she was so angry that she throw the coffee and bagels to us, literally, she threw the stuff that the glasses broke, we felt so bad, unfortunately, we could change hotels, last day we were lucky enough to have the cook, I think his name was Jose, he was so nice to us, he stopped doing what he was doing to served us, he even apologized for the other lady attitude.
They didn’t change the bed which is ok, but they didn’t change the towels, or replace the shampoo or conditioner, on Friday night they had a live music party right outside my room. I had to work on Saturday and called the front desk to ask until what time they would play the live music. They really didn’t care.
The next day I saw couple of families cancelling their stay due to the loud music the night before.
Copamarina was really a bad experience, I was very happy the moment I left.

Room Tip: if you want to have a good room stay somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
9 Thank Ana B
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were in San Juan visiting and old frinend and he suggested we go to the southwest side of the island and try the Copamairna. We booked 2 nights and it was perfect! Check in was a pleasure, the room faced the ocean, a pool and restaurant. The staff was ready to do anything we asked and happy to make our stay the best always smiling and ready. Food and drink was great and prices in line with the type of property, actually a great value copared to San Juan. I wish I had brought my kids here when they were young, they would have had a blast. The pool activities, lawn areas gardens and grounds were very well kept. I plan to send my adult children for some fun!

Room Tip: The newer rooms had quierter air conditioners, but it didn't bother me. The newer rooms seemed...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

We booked a honeymoon trip to Copamarina in March. In May they called to tell us that they had booked the entire hotel and we would need to stay elsewhere for all but the very last day of our trip. They offered some suggestions (after repeated calls) but made no apologies and offered no incentives. We were left scrambling to find a new hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Michael W
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We spent our Anniversary at the Hotel and my partner scheduled so many wonderful surprises !! Room beautifully decorated with roses, champagne, Sunset Trip and many other surprises in conspiracy with the staff. Everyone of them are special ! Thanks for an unforgettable 12th Anniversary. Expect us back soon !!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Guanica
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Doubletree by Hilton San Juan
El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!