“Utopia Spa” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Utopia Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Katelios
Utopia Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Katelios
Sussex
“Utopia Spa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

A visit to the Utopia hotel spa is a must, it is open to non residents and the facilities are first rate and the lady masseur is top quality. My wife and i had a very relaxing jacuzzi bath and a massage to relaxing lilting classical music, it was sublime. The massage couch moved in so many directions as to mold your body into the most relaxed. position, it was sheer heaven and what a present for a loved one say on an anniversary or birthday.
I will certainly be putting money aside for our trip to Kefalonia next year for a repeat of the luxurious treatment.
I am unable to comment on rooms as we were not resident in the hotel, but the overall ambiance of the hotel was very pleasing.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gftSussex

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Stroud, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

This was our ninth visit to Katelios over the past 20 years but our first stay at Utopia. We looked in at this hotel, last year, and decided we would like to stay in the future. We booked direct as the main tour operator is now Polish as a result of a "dispute" the hotel owners had with Thomsons last year. We found the Polish people very pleasant and well behaved and many tried to communicate with us in broken English.

The hotel itself was a great experience! High standard of cleanliness throughout; good-sized bedrooms with either a mountain or sea view; choice of swimming pools and plenty of sunbeds and free wifi.

This is a family run hotel and the staff were always friendly and helpful. Special mention to Peggy (the manager), her sister Argiro (Mrs Martin!!) and Afroditi (the chef) who provided us with some of the best food we have eaten on holidays abroad!!

We did not use the Spa but the facilities are of a very high standard and managed by an English lady called Mary.

One of our initial reasons for booking this hotel was the proximity to the beach and local tavernas as we now have some mobility issues. The hotel now has a pathway to the beach thus avoiding the need to use the road.

Health permitting - we will return! Thank you Utopia for a memorable holiday!!

Room Tip: All of the rooms we saw were good whether it was sea or mountain view! The suites look excellent for...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nannyneale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

First time in Kefalonia but what a holiday. Hotel was amazing, wonderful facilities, extremely clean. Plenty of sunbeds and plenty of space. The rooms were large and well equipped. Great bathrooms. The lighting could have been better as wasn't the best for doing make up but otherwise perfect. Most relaxing holiday I've had. Totally recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012
8 Thank Solvendum
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Once we arrived at the utopia resort we were kindly welcomed by our staff with smiles and good afternoons. We even got upgraded to the penthouse suite! although we went out a lot the food was lovely and tasted good. Even though one day there was a power cut (that wasn't their fault )and our air con was turned off the staff were very helpful and got a mechanic as soon as possible.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 407 which had a lovely sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

Outside The hotel looks rather like a hostel. Inside someone tried to make it look like a hotel. The room is quite big, with a nice balony overlooking the Sea and the swimming-pools. The ugly part of it is a bathroom-dirty, shabby with insufficient amount of shower-gel even for one person.
The swimming-pools are decent but I have never seen anyone cleaning them.
The worst things in Utopia are:1-waiters 2-food. The 1-st are extremely lazy and unhelpful. They do not take the dirty plates away until You finish the whole dinner or supper. The waiters do everything with a huge effort and grace. The food is awful! Unedible and monotonous-day by day the same. You can find tomatoes served in 100 ways, pasta and potatoes. Don't bother to taste meat unless you have a mechanical saw to cut it.
To sum up-it's a 3 star, average hotel in the middle of nowhere but with a nice view.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Fleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel is in a really nice location and very close to both the beach and village centre which has a good selection of high quality tavernas to choose from. The whole hotel is spotlessly clean with very nice swimming pools and plenty of high quality sun beds for everyone (no need to put the towels out, but some people still do!).

On arrival we were greeted by the manager and his staff who all had beaming smiles and made us feel extremely welcome. This continued throughout our two week stay. After a stressful days travelling (our car broke down at Gatwick), we were given a wonderful upgrade which was very much appreciated. Our room was fantastic and finished to a very high standard with lovely sea views.

We booked through Olympic holidays on a full board plus basis. The only reason for this was because this worked out cheaper than what Thompsons offered on a B&B basis when we booked last September. The food was very good, although for us, Greece is more about getting out and about and soaking in the atmosphere at the local tavernas (would you spend two weeks in the UK eating at the same restaurant 3 times a day for 14 days?).

As has already been mentioned on previous reviews, it is the staff who are the real stars here. They work very hard to make sure that you are made welcome. This was evident from everyone from the management to the cleaners.

Please do not take notice of previous reviews made by disgruntled Thompson holiday makers who DID NOT ACTUALLY STAY HERE. To give 1 star against this hotel whereby the fault was clearly with Thompsons I find very unfair and very misleading. I even read one review from a couple who just 'popped' in for a drink after being moved by Thompson to another hotel......ridiculous.

This was our 3rd trip to Kefalonia, but first to Katelios. We travelled as a family of 3 (son 13 yrs) and can highly recommend both this hotel and Katelios.

Room Tip: If you cannot travel via a UK travel operator, book direct! (We normally book independently, but had...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Garym503830
Richmond-upon-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

I booked the Utopia over a year ago as it had fantastic reviews and I wanted a special holiday for our 25th wedding anniversary. I was really worried as the holiday date got nearer as I was reading really bad reviews on the hotel. I booked with Olympic holidays, thankfully not Thomson who seem to have cocked a lot of people's holidays up. I emailed the hotel and got in touch with Olympic who both assured me my holiday was safe. From start to finish our holiday was fantastic. The hotel, pool and spa are absolutely spotless. We had a problem with our air conditioning which was fixed straight away. We booked bed and breakfast which I'd advise anyone to do. The grill house and taverna just down the road do a great choice of meat and fish dishes and are only too happy to jiggle the menu around to suit. The food is so cheap too, we couldn't believe it. We ate every night for under 30 euros with drinks. Be prepared to dine alongside the local puddies. There are loads of cats and kittens, I bought tuna from a shop to feed them and gave them titbits whilst I was eating.

Our room was very comfortable and clean. It was cleaned every day with fresh towels. Towels are also provided for the pool area. We had a lovely view over the pool area and out to sea. It was hilarious watching all the Polish guests putting out their towels on sunbeds before breakfast. There was no need, there were plenty to go round. It was so quiet it was just what we wanted. I booked a quiet, non booze filled, no crappy entertainment, non Benidorm type holiday and that's exactly what we got. There was a Greek night on one night of the week which was very good. The musicians were brilliant and the dancers entertaining.

On our anniversary the receptionist informed us that the hotel wanted to give us a bottle of wine and our meal free which was a lovely surprise. I don't drink so my hubby had a bottle of Robola to himself!

The lady in the spa was very helpful. I asked if we could have a look around and she took us round the jacuzzi pool, the sauna area, therapy rooms and Thai relaxation room. It looked amazing and would be great for a wedding package. If we return, we'll have to use the spa area before we start sunbathing.

I'm disabled but found the hotel very easy to get around. It had a lift, disabled toilets near the pool area and the pool had gently sloping steps with a rail.

Katelios is a tiny place with lots of local charm and plenty of places to eat.
We took a local bus which stopped just up from the hotel to Skala. Skala beach was lovely and there were quite a few shops. We also visited the Roman Villa. We booked a couple of trips with our rep. It cost a bit more than booking locally but being disabled I thought I'd be looked after better with our rep. We did the island tour which was a long day but amazing. We stopped at Fiskardo, had photo opportunities at the breathtaking Myrtos, lunch as Assos, a look around the Robola winery, the Monastery and then on to Melissani lake/cave and Drogarati cave. The lake entrance has a few steps followed by a carpeted slope down to the water. No idea how I did it but I was determined to walk down to have my boat ride and I did. The walk back up near killed me but was well worth it. I couldn't do Drogarati as there are 120 steps. Hubby did this one on his own and the photos he took are very impressive. We also did the evening trip to Argostoli for a meal and shopping. We saw a turtle swimming along the shore. We also had a surprise stop at another local winery where hubby bought the rest of our luggage allowance in wine!!

All in all a fabulous holiday. A beautiful island and a beautiful hotel. Thank you very much Utopia for making our anniversary so special. We will return one day.

Room Tip: Pool view is lovely.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sharon_watson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katelios
Cephalonia Palace Hotel
Apollonion Resort & Spa
#1 of 11 in Lixouri
Porto Skala Hotel & Village
Dionysos Village Resort

Been to Utopia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!