“Beautiful and relaxing”

Utopia Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Katelios
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

Just returned from utopia in katelios. Had an amazing week. Hotel gorgeous. Service great. Rooms lovely and very comfortable. Katelios itself is beautiful. The quality of the food in all the tavernas is first class. Beaches wonderful and not too busy. This is are second time to katelios just booking for next year.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank Jenne1

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I recognise the last few reviewers and can add little to what they say, in summary, excellent hotel, beautiful island and Katelios has a certain ruggedness that grows on you.

This was our second visit to The Utopia and would certainly return in the future.

4  Thank Jcee
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My partner and I have just returned after staying 2 weeks at the Utopia Resort and Spa. We have stayed at a couple of other Hotels previously ie Regina Dell Aqua in Skala and Ionian Emerald in Sami but we have to say the Utopia is the best in terms of facilities, staff, food and cleanliness and is the only one which we would return too.

The location is excellent and is a short and very pleasant walk to the village where there is a good selection of Taverna's and Bars all very well priced with a good variety of dishes to suit all tastes. There is a bar called Floritita which serves great cocktails. They even have a Rum which is 95 Euros a glass - its very special! but most drinks are well priced for the quality.

The cleanliness is excellent thoughout. Most Hotels will hose down (without brushing) outside areas a few times a week but here at Utopia they do this everyday and actually scrub the floors - sometimes by hand. Our room was well cleaned and maintained everyday.

The food is very good with a good buffet style breakfast and excellent lunch menu and this with the pool bar drinks are very well priced for the quality provided.

The staff are all very hard working and extremely polite and nice to talk to. If you need anything you just need to ask. We found one member of staff excellent. Her name was Irene and nothing was too much trouble for her. I hope the owners realise how fortunate they are to have such great and dedicated staff.

The locals are friendly and welcoming which is why we retrun each year rather than visit other countries such as Spain and Italy where we find people and staff to be rude and arrogant.

The pools are really nice and large for the size of Hotel with plenty of sun loungers. We would say the mattresses could be a little thicker but this is a small concern.

We hired a car for a couple of days which was enough for us as we have been to the Island several times before. We would recommed this as driving is easy and well worth the cost.

Sue the Thompson Rep was also very good and seemed extremely professional and experienced which is what you need in case of any emergency.

All in all we had a great time and despite some previous comments, I would say the Hotel provides excellent quality to relax and I would say the village is authentic and is one of the few which isn't over commercialised like many others on Greek Islands and if you really need to have total seculsion then hire a car.

We would recommend the Hotel to others and will return.

6  Thank summertimespecial
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Utopia hotel and spa

We stayed at the utopia hotel and spa from 23rd of aug through to the 6 th sept. this was our first holiday with our new family member who is now 7 months old!

Our party consisted of my husband, two daughters, one 12 years and one 7 months and moi.

We arrived at Kefalonia airport in good spirts, thankfully we had a good flight and our little person behaved throughout.

We boarded the coach for our transfer and were quickly on our way. The transfer took approx 50 min but it sped by as the scenery was gorgeous! Plus there was only one other hotel drop before ours.

At the hotel we were greeted by a courteous member of staff and shown to our room. We decided to pay a little extra and book a suite. We had room 407 which we named the penthouse. It was a nice room which overlooked the pool and the view was pretty spectacular. We had views of the mountains to our right and the ocean to our left and the constant hum of crickets and other bugs I'm sure.

We booked on a bed and breakfast basis but when you get to the hotel you can upgrade to all inclusive. It's not something we did as we enjoy getting out and about. We did speak to a few families that did do this and they paid 50 euros per day. There is a good selection to choose form for breakfast and pretty much all tastes are catered for.

The hotel in general is kept to a good standard of cleanliness and the rooms are cleaned every day. The towels and bedding are changed every other day. There is a laundry service if you require it but I will say that I sent some beach towels to be cleaned on our 2nd week and they came back in a bit of a state. They were completely covered in lint. Don't know how they managed that but thank goodness it was only towels I sent!!

The only other thing I would warn you about if your not all inclusive is the bar drinks. They seem to have this one price fixing. For example: on the first few days we were ordering drinks for the poolside. A soft drink is 2.50 euros (about £2). Then at the end of the week I ordered a drink and the girl behind the bar said that they had run out of plastic cup and only had small cups. This didn't really bother me too much until she gave me my bill to sign. They were still charging 2.50 euros for approx 150 ml cups. I disputed this price with the staff member and she said that was the price, I had to like it or lump it. The same goes for beer, you get a large beer at the pool bar for 3euro then you get a small one at the lobby bar for the same price!!
I saw the Thompson rep the next morning and made a complaint. I have to say, the hotel were very good about it and I got an apology and a round of complimentary drinks.

There is a little supermarket about a five minute walk away so you can stock up on drinks, crisps and chocolate for the kids. There is also a reasonable selection of beers and wines for the grown ups too. There is a fridge in the room to stock your drinks in!

I also had several treatments in the spa. The spa is nicely decorated and there is a plunge pool, steam room and sauna available for you to use. The only thing is, is that you have to give the therapist notice that you want to use them as there not kept on all the time. The prices for treatments are similar to those in the UK. There is a reasonable amount of treatments to choose from although if you go to book a couples package you can't have it because there's only one therapist there. I have to say that I had a 50 minute facial and I would recommend it to all. It was fab and my skin was amazing after!

The last thing I would recommend you do when you get to Kefalonia is hire a car. Or if you have no little people a scooter. The island is beautiful and the scenery very dramatic. There are excursions you can book with your holiday companies but we found that hiring a car worked out much cheaper plus your not tied to someone else's timetables! We booked our car through Pefonis travel &rent a car. They are in Skala and Argostoli. We paid 180 euro for four days. I would say that was just right. We got around and saw everything that we wanted to in those 4 days.

Here are my pearls of wisdom when it comes to traveling up to the north end of the island. Don't forget this as it will take hours off you journey times! When traveling up to Assos and Fiskado take the west side of the island route it's so much quicker. You will travel up the east side of the island when you visit places like Sami or the caves.
The east side of Kefalonia is very beautiful and the scenery is breath taking. When you get to the north end that is something else but I will leave that for you to find out for yourself.

All in all we had a really enjoyable stay at the Utopia hotel and spa and would stay there again if we returned to Kephalonia.

Happy traveling x

Room Tip: Room 407, 2 bed suite with views of the pool, sea and mountains.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Claire B
Reviewed September 6, 2012

..i and my wife spent 6 days in this hotel two weeks ago. Sorry but we are italian,with a slavish origin,and so if you are from Northern Europe,exspecially an Englishman, you can stop reading it.We say so,because the utopistic intention to show something unsual like mediterenan picture to a man born over Paris is perfect ,is this is the hotel intention,,an we agree this is the question...But ,my friends ,pleasured by a banal swimming pool, open your eyes please.,,No beach, 4 staff persons doing everything possible mixing rules all day over,exited by big umbrellas and dirty towels never changed all the season...even you deserve more..only ten miles far from here you can enjoy beutiful beaches, restorants with local meals, nature, caves,lakes, real cruises meaning something ,history,people,,real approach with greek traditions...take a taxi please..,and more important, go out from the hotel..like for Jim Carry in The Truman show, it is possible ,a wall, a little exit ,well masked by trees, wait for you and KEFALONIA will show you all a man can ask from a journey,in a wonderful Ionian island..you are on time to chose a different way of holiday ,and maybe a different approach to lifestyle

Room Tip: we cannot help...no possibility to choose rooms from Italy
1  Thank giorgiosuzana
Reviewed September 6, 2012

just returned from 10 days at the utopia.
we were warned that the roads take a while to navigate so took a taxi from the airport which took 30 minutes and cost 45 euros.well worth it as we were unpacked,had a snack and were sitting by the pool by the time the coach arrived.
very nice hotel with friendly professional staff.we upgraded to a sea view room which overlooks the pool which was very nice but due to the fact the sea is half a mile away and spent very little time in the room would not upgrade on another visit.
as other people have said the beds are very hard but what no one seems to have mentioned is the sunbeds by the pool.yes they are well made wooden beds with cushions on them but the cushions are so thin that after an hour your back will be killing you.thanks to the fact the hotel was no more than 50% full and that there are plenty of spare sunbeds most people were either doubling up the cushions or placing lilos under the cushions.if you have stayed here please comment on reviews and hopefully someone at the hotel will invest in some decent cushions.
having said this would have to say this is a good four star hotel and the location is perfect for a quiet stay.the beach is a gentle 10 minute walk where you will find 7-8 tavernas all selling superb fresh fish and 3-4 bars which are not smacking out load music.also nice to find no tacky tourist shops selling rubbish or people hassling you for anything.
we will certainly return next year as this was for relaxing only and our neighbours at the hotel who went ererywhere said this was a beautiful island and is worth hiring a car for a few days.
all in all was exactly what we wanted for a peaceful stay.

ps...thomson reps.....
i have slandered most of the reps in the past so i should have known better but obviously i am getting too old to learn.
on arrival at the airport i had broken my glasses.having found the thomson rep to inform them we would be getting a taxi i then asked if they knew the nearest opticians to ketelios.was told that we needed to go to skala (a 30 euro round trip ) and to go to the pharmacy.having arrived at the pharmacy were told they do not repair glasses and the nearest one was a eighty euro round trip.at this point spent 1 euro on some elastoplast to bodge the job till i returned home.
so once again,thankyou thomson reps for your knowledge of the area.

3  Thank tracysmith3693
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Me and my mum spent a week in this hotel in mid august, and we have decided we are definitely going back next year, but bringing brother and dad! We were looking for a relaxing place to stay for a girly holiday and this hotel ticked every box. The pool was lovely and clean and the sun beds were really comfy (not like our last holiday) and it was easy enough to lounge around the pool area all day. When we first arrived, we were worried that we were in the middle of nowhere, but we were soon told it was just a short walk to the beach and the tavernas. There was also free wifi in the reception and it stretched to some parts of the pool which kept me from going insane... The only bad thing about the holiday was that i accidentally left my sunglasses on the poolside, and i checked with reception if they had been handed in but they hadn't, so i never got them back:(. When we were leaving, we wished we could've stayed another week, because it was so lovely! would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Hannah E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katelios
Cephalonia Palace Hotel
Cephalonia Palace Hotel
#7 of 11 in Lixouri
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa
Apollonion Resort & Spa Hotel
Astra Village Hotel & Suites
Dionysos Village Resort
Tsilivi Admiral Hotel

Been to Utopia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!