“Hotel great”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Katelios
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Hotel great”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Hotel is suberb, room decor, bathroom excellent, mountain view wonderful,(sea view is very limited so not worth the cost) beds are firm ,I slept like a log. Local beach is handy ,good tavernas surround it, this beach is gravel in most areas, however in fairly close proximity to many white sand beaches, like Trapezaki, Canali, Lithero up the coast in Lourdas, so no problems if you have transport, and a litlle local knowledge.
The staff in the Hotel are excellent, from the manager Sassa to the cleaners, very helpful,friendly,, the waitresses do a great job in serving with a smile, despite some customers attitude, the menu needs review, remembering that this is Greece, the food is typical Greek style, the Stifado was great, however if you have booked half board, this should be served one course at a time and there should be some options for vegetarians on the main course, there is not.
For some nights in the week the food was buffet style not a la carte,which does not suit everybody, the buffet breakfast is fine.
We would recommend staying here on B & B ,which is probably the best option, and then eat each evening in the excellent local tavernas.
The location is close to the gravel beach and a road full of Tavernas, but is fairly remote in terms of visiting other resorts in the north and the east, buses are great when they are running otherwise hire a car.
Pool area is superb, many loungers, pool bar, all drinks are expensive, but not much dearer than outside the Hotel, local wines from supermarket ,cheap and surprisingly tasty.
If you want a quiet break ,in the sun ,wonderful hotel and staff, Greek food, no travelling, this is the place!!!!

6 Thank mikenpolly

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Our first view of Utopia we both said Yes! Tompson has made good for the twice cancelled week late holiday they promised us, Hotel looked great, pool area fantastic, room well turned out. It was our anniversary treat to us! so full of expectant energy we jumped on the bed "first mistake" I have slept on softer scaffold boards needless to say the only hard thing that week was the bed! We dressed for dinner and went down to a fine dining area "second mistake" Tomson had assured my wife" they cater for Vegetarians",the resulting meal was Dire my wifes main meal consisted of a plate of oily beans, I had Desperate Dan beef that I couldn't eat and gave to one of the many skinny cats that frequently roamed the eating area, many people complained that evening and all through the week. Vegetarians beware they put ham in everything including Marghrita pizza, potato salad, green leaf salad they have no comprehension of what a vegetarian eats, I tried on many occasions to explain the problem to the head of the kitchen staff and the manager to no avail.We decided to eat out even though we had booked half board it was easier? We looked forward to using the jacuzzi "third mistake" it was not working (sighs) the top of the building is unfinished,only two news channels on tv and the local beach is the pits.On the bright side we booked some tours with the local operater at half the rate that Tompson charges, the island is beautifull and well worth exploring I won't be going back to UTOPIA as it does not exist and it will definately not be with Tompson.

Room Tip: Forget the sea view its miles away
2 Thank Peter F
Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

On arrival the hotel looked nice the reception staff were very nice and helpful and we booked in with no issues, we opted for half board. Our room was 50M from the reception so not far to go, the room over all was poor. The bed was like sleeping on my dining table just so hard, I ordered a double room with a pool view I got the pool view however twin beds pushed together not the double that I ordered. The shower was to small its tiny and there is nowhere to put shower gel, shampoo or anything else. There were a few other things that let it down like the four pictures the pictures had melted and the display was missing just looked tacky. No tea or coffee making stuff in the room, there was a fridge but no mini bar. Just as well really beer and wine there is expensive, I walked to the local supermarket and got four large cans for the price of a glass of beer in the hotel. We had 2 English speaking channels on the TV (CNN and BBC World News) the satellite was broken and we were told it was going to be fixed each day. Now I don’t go on holiday to watch TV but we had a few days of bad weather and there is very little to do there in the rain so an hour or so in front the TV is not a bad thing.

The first night (Sunday) the evening meal was a buffet and quite frankly it was dire I would not have given my dog the food, but we were so tired after a 6am flight we gave up and went to bed, looking around Monday we found the Spa was not complete or working there was a layer of scum on the spa pool and a huge dead bug/cockroach thing at the bottom. That evening we were again presented with another buffet and this time along with a few others I refused to eat it, I have travelled all over the world on holiday and with work and never have I seen anything so bad. I ended up with lamb chops cooked for me.
The following morning at breakfast which again was not that good we were told that a different menu would be on. That evening we had a five course evening meal 100% improvement but still very little choice there were normally two mains, some of it was very good however some was of a very poor standard and just let it down. We met a couple there and the wife was a vegetarian and she was simply just not catered for, when she asked for something vegetarian the waitress how seemed to be in charge just seem to get angry and intimidating so much so that the poor wife ended up in tears and left the restraint, needless to say her husband let the manageress know, he was offered a few beers to make up for it bit of a joke really.

Just to top the lot we met a young welsh couple who were really nice they had a young boy and because they also complained and told the hotel there was nothing for the children to eat, they were given a letter by the manageress asking them to leave the hotel as they were disruptive and the only people to complain, total rubbish I know at least five others that complained, they were also given €300 to eat in the village rather than the hotel. That was disgusting and not a got start to a two week holiday they were not disruptive and never did they ask me or as far as I know anyone else to complain. Its seemed to me the manageress could not cope.

Well enough is enough I think I have made my point, on the plus side the remaining staff were great they would do anything for you to try and make your stay better very polite always had a smile, the pool area is nice and lots of little restraints in the village with very good sea food. The beach is not good but they were in the process of cleaning it when we were there so may improve later in the season.

Oh a few more things is you go with Thompson, Thomas Cook or another company, DO NOT BOOK any trips walk down to the village half way there near the little supermarket there is a little shop that does trips ran by a guy called Terry, we went with Thompson and was going to book the discover Kefalonia their price €45 each Terry Price €25 for the same trip, when I asked out rep why the vast difference in price she just said the Thompson one was different so again I asked what was different no response she just got a sad on and would not talk to me, later I found out that the reps also use Terry for their trips so they are just ripping us off

All in all would I go back that’s easy NO,

Room Tip: Get a room with a pool view
2 Thank SeanPortsmouth
Leicester
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here and could not have been happier, we were the last drop off from the airport and gasped when we saw the Hotel Utopia! It is an amazing hotel, for sure the best on the island. Staff were soooo freindly and helpful, took our cases to our rooms straight away, where wine and fruit were waiting, and a jacuzzi bath! The mountain views from the hotel is breathtaking, and you can see the beach, a short 15 min walk at most. The hotel has everything to offer, we only stayed bed and breakfast so that we were able to enjoy the tavernas in the small village, but we ate at the hotel twice in the evening on greek night and bbq night during our week stay which were fabulous. On the last day we discovered the sauna, and steam room on the lower ground floor OMG!! There was no one in there, and it is gorgeous, so you must go - access downstairs before the restaurant. Happy hour is excellent the barman was so lovely - everyone just wants to wait on you! Overall a great hotel - immaculate in every way! The customer service is unbelievable - any thing you need - they provide!

Room Tip: All rooms are fab - I checked them out! The staff let me see other rooms - all have different things...
4 Thank MelvinLeicester
Gloucester
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I stayed here with my partner and family during the summer. We stayed for 2 weeks and enjoyed a lovely quite holiday.

Hotel was clean and staff were friendly. Only negative would be that the drinks are quite pricey, however if you're cleaver there are lots of deals in different bars which make them a lot more reasonable.

Short stroll to the beach which was a little disappointing. Although sandy, it is a little stoney in places and quite small.

Great holiday if you dont want to do a lot!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Laura S
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Where to start, this place is peaceful, relaxing, a perfect honeymoon destination. Me and my Husband left for Kefalonia the morning after our wedding and all we wanted was somewhere quiet & hot hot hot!! The weather was perfect 10 degrees hotter for this time of year! The hotel was so clean the cleaners are constantly working cleaning clean floors. The beds a little hard - but we didnt care as it is what we are used to! The drinks around the pool were a little expensive but who cares your on holiday and there is a shop not to far away! The staff brilliant and cocktails to die for! We took full advantage of the free spa facilities on offer and really enjoyed using them especially sauna and tropical showers!

7 Thank Kerry109
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 19, 2011

Read all the great reviews on here so my partner and I were really looking forward to our stay...however, although clean and in a good location, we were disappointed with the service we received. We found the drinks to be overpriced and one member of the staff was quite rude to us whilst dining there...which, unfortunately, as this was a trip for a special occasion, put a bit of a dampener on things and made us decide not to dine at the hotel again - which actually was fine, as there are lots of nice tavernas to choose from!
Obviously the other reviewers had better stays than we did, hence the assumption that we must have caught them on an off week.

8 Thank Nick R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Katelios
Cephalonia Palace Hotel
Porto Skala Hotel & Village
Mediterranee Hotel
Mediterranee Hotel
#1 of 19 in Lassi

Been to Utopia Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!