“Peace and Quiet” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of McLeod Ecofarm

McLeod Ecofarm
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in French Island
McLeod Ecofarm
Melbourne, Australia
“Peace and Quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

An eclectic byodynamic farm in a historic location on the beach, McLeod Eco Farm is run by a very friendly and welcoming couple. French Island is stunningly beautiful in an understated way. Caught in a bit of a time warp, there is no mains electricity and only basic amenities - however I found this added to the charm. Many long walks are available to satisfy your quest for nature (think koalas and abundant bird life); you can really lose yourself in this part of the world. Whilst the grounds could benefit from a couple of working bees and the accommodation is basic, our hosts served up the most amazing food. They were also very accommodating in answering our questions about French Island and the somewhat unique style of management of the farm itself. Easily accessible via ferry from two locations, I would highly recommend this for 'something different'.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kittykat173

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2012

Last weekend my family and a group of friends spent 2 nights at the McLeod Eco Farm. I first visited French Island 30 years ago and I have been back many times. I love the remoteness, the history, the wildlife and the peacefulness of the island. You feel like you are in another world, even though you are just one hour from Melbourne.

Two years ago I cycled with a group to the McLeod Eco Farm and stayed in the prison cells. The prison cells (now called Love cells) have basic facilities, but I enjoyed the novelty of sleeping in the same cells that the prisoners once did. This time, our group stayed at Eve's Guesthouse. It is the former prison officer quarters. My wife and I had a nice room with ocean views. The toilets and showers are shared and there is a communal kitchen and a lounge with an open fire place, which we appreciated during our winter stay.

Our hosts Mark and Melinda were very friendly and helpful. They cooked us a hearty organic meal and the breakfast basket is a lovely treat. Mark took our group on a tour of his Eco Farm. It was very interesting to learn about environmental farming.

I can’t understand the negative reviews on the McLeod Eco Farm. If you are not an outdoor person, if you like to be entertained and like luxury 5 star accommodation, then this is not the place for you. But if you like cycling, hiking or just relaxing in pleasant surrounds, then I would recommend this place. I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side of Eve's Guesthouse have ocean views
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank David C
Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed at the McLeod Eco Farm for 2 nights over the Queens Birthday long weekend. The Hospitality was fantastic, the food plentiful and the surrounds very peaceful. The nights spent besides a beautiful log fire leaving all my cares away. Take a bike and tour around the Island. It is well worth the trip. The Eco farm is 'Where love grows'. "I felt the love - alleluia alleluia".

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Gary G
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

We arrived not know what to expect, and left feeling like we had for the first time in a long time spent quality time together as a family! I was also suprised by the negative comments, it sounded like a different place. While it looks like it needs a little bit of TLC, the place is beautiful we had our own beach, heaps of room to explore, walking tracks and a great place to see the stars. My son got to collect the eggs, feed the chickens and hang out with some pigs, he loved it! We all had a great time, thank you to Mark and everyone at McLeods we will be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Leah P
Konstanz, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

First of all: I loved this place! It's exeptional in the most positive way you can think of. The people are friendly, welcoming and special. You can experience a strong feeling for nature but you need to let it happen. I felt very relaxed, strong and like there is more in live than work or money.
I worked there for two weeks and would recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Caro-K-aus-K
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

I'm really surprised by the negative comments, because I had a totally different experience...
We spent with my girlfriend 3 nights/4 days in former prison officer quarters, that's just fun, when you think about it! Plus we could enjoy the tranquility of the place, have a rest on the beach (1 minute walking distance from our room) after a decadent breakfast, biking/hiking in the island, have a play with the animals walking freely in the farm, getting ready for a fully organic dinner, and finish the day in front of a comfy fire. Exhausting.
The owners have been very nice and friendly to us, and we had the opportunity to have a full guided tour of the farm, and know about all their incoming projects.
To sum up, if you are a nightclubber, maybe the place is not appropriate for you, otherwise I'll definitely recommend it.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flaharrague
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

Unwelcome. Not worth visiting as workers seemed not interested and unwilling to give a farm tour. Absolutely not money worth! Workers really need to work on the place as it looks worse than the actual prison (back in the old days). Stay away. Not worth the time and money!

• Stayed April 2012
12 Thank Tripapedia

Travelers are raving about these French Island hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near French Island
The Island Accommodation
Corinella 'On The Esplanade' Bed & Breakfast

Been to McLeod Ecofarm? Share your experiences!