“Great views of the Alps, delicious food and beer”
Review of Andechs Monastery

Andechs Monastery
Book In Advance
More Info
$84.57*
and up
Private Tour: Munich Sightseeing Including Andechs Monastery
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I really enjoyed this day trip just outside of Munich. I went with a tour group and we sat outside in the biergarten and enjoyed very good Schweinhaxe and beers. The views of the Alps are beautiful and the monastery was quite nice too.

1  Thank Bonzopookie

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Took the S bahn to the last stop on the S 8. Proceeded to hike trough the woods in the snow for about 90 minutes. There is a bus option for those not looking to hike through the hills. Beer is great and the food is reasonably priced. Door to Monastery and return you will need at least 4 hours. Make the trip.

2  Thank sanjoseguy_11
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Brilliant !Haunting beauty.Must see!We went in mid Jan 2014.It was little foggy up there.This added the charm of the place.!

Reviewed January 18, 2014

My friends and I have made the pilgrimage to the "Holy Mount" of a number of times. It's a great hike from the S-Bahn - takes about an hour through the town and woods. There are some great views of the nearby lakes, and when you get to the end, you feel like you've earned a beer from the beer garden. You can also take a bus or drive, but we only use that option if the weather is really bad - trust me, the walk is worth it!

Once you get to the top, the monastery itself is in a beautiful location, and it's worth going in to the church itself to see it. But the main attraction is the beer garden. The beer is fantastic - even so close to Munich, a city famed for its beer - Andechs stands out, and it's cheaper than most bars in Munich. The food is a bit more expensive, but it's easily the best (and largest) Hax'n I've had. Overall, this is on of my favorite spots in Munich, and I recommend it to any visitors.

4  Thank Jon C
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Every time I go to Munich I make time for Andechs. I have been there 3 times so far. The most beautiful place I have been. The whole experience is amazing. I recommed taking the S-8(if memory serves...) to the end of the line at Hersching and walk through the quaint town full of beautiful homes, through the woods and up to Andechs. Once you are through the small town, signs are marked fairly well and is not difficult to find Andechs. The beer is my 2nd favorite in the world (Augustiner is #1) and the sights are incredible from the beer garden. As it is off the beaten path, the garden has a lot of locals, a very few tourists, which is nice.

I travelled during Oktoberfest 2013, 2012 and 2011 with my fiance, brother and friends :)

3  Thank Karla S