“Very nice hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Jacksonville, Florida
“Very nice hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

Was visiting Scotland from the states with my son and stayed here for a couple of nights. We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel and it was great fun trying to navigate around the hotel as we never seemed to take the same route twice. The gym was excellent and one of the best I have seen in a hotel, we were also impressed with the pool, steam room and sauna which were great. Breakfast was plentiful varied and delicious. We ate one dinner at the hotel and the food was very good indeed, bar had a good selection of beers. I could not ask for more, very enjoyable stay.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Jeremy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2014

I've stayed in this hotel a number of times now on business due to working near the airport. The rooms are the same price (and cheaper) than some of the airport hotels, but the facilities, food and general condition of the hotel is far superior.

Plenty of grounds to wander round, a swimming pool and good gym means that even though you are away from almost everything, you won't be confined to your room with nothing to do.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank SMudgeh
Billericay
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a couple of nights to attend a friends wedding nearby. It's a very grand looking place and the check-in staff were very friendly and efficient. The deluxe room was nice and comfortable enough. Breakfast is really good, with an extensive buffet. It's a little pricey, but it is a bit of a captive market. Would happily recommend for people travelling by car. Taxis from Edinburgh are expensive, but there is a bus service.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Peterborough, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

I was solo at this hotel as part of a bus tour. The setting is beautiful and peaceful as it is rural and surrounded by a golf club. The main building has great character while the hotel building is more functional. The room was average. It was clean with a comfortable bed and quality bedding. The shower / tub combination had grab bars for safety. A couple of negatives though. The toilet was placed right against a wall making it difficult for left handers. The other issue was the auto closure on the door. I found that annoying. The clients are confined as far as dining options. The Golf Club has a restaurant which we used for a lunch meal. We were in a hurry so we mentioned this to the wait staff. They accommodated us easily and willingly. The Club sandwich I had was quite good. The only other choice is the restaurant and the bar in the hotel itself. There is another choice off the property opposite the front gate as well but that is it unless you have a car. If you want some snacks, there is no store in the hotel, instead there is a starters shed for the golf course where you can get soft drinks and junk food.

Room Tip: Rooms in the lower numbers are the most convenient. IE rooms 100 - 120.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Onourway547
JCraigI, Director of Sales at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, September 8, 2014
Hi

It was a pleasure to welcome you and the group to the hotel, thanks for your review. We do now have a small snack trolley in our Leisure Club which is open from 6am untill 11pm, in addition to the Starters Hut at the Golf Course. We also have 24hr room service available with a varying menu depending on time of day.

Kind Regards

Craig
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst visiting the Fringe Festival. The staff and facilities were excellent and we had a room in the old baronial part of the hotel which overlooked the golf course with views down to Edinburgh Castle - the room was really well decorated and as you expect from Marriott.was really easy to drive 2 minutes to the Park and Ride and get a £3.50 rover ticket which lasts all day in Edinburgh and the Park and Ride is 24 hour. For Marriott Gold and Platinum members there is no lounge but a voucher was given for a drink the first night of the stay. We didn't eat as we were out early and in late but the menu looked extensive. Would return.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JimMillar
Beccles,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

Got a really friendly welcome when we stayed here 28th of July. Nice room, although you have to walk quite a way and it was a bit warm, (but then the weather in Scotland had been unseasonably warm). If you have trouble walking, ask for a room closer to the main facilities as there were stairs and lifts too. Ate at the bar restaurant and the food was lovely. Breakfast was good too.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Ayr, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

We have chosen to stay at the Dalmahoy for the past 6 years and always enjoyed our stay. On this occasion however there were too many things which left us feeling let down. Upon check in we were offered an upgrade for either £20 for a Deluxe room or £30 for a room within the main house. Our standard room which we had originally booked was already costing us £175.00 per night BB. My husband checked whether it was £30 per night or £30 for both nights, we were told it was £30 for both nights. We agreed to upgrade to the main house. Once payment was taken we realised it was in fact £60 extra! £410.00 was taken from our card. Not only this the receptionist (tall male) advised us at this point that the room only had one double bed in it, and asked if we would like an additional roll out bed for our Daughter. What? why would we not want a bed for our Daughter, has she to sleep on the floor? What a stupid question and why allocate us a room with only 1 bed in it in the first place when our original booking was for a triple room. My 6 year old Daughter was standing with us so its unlikely he missed her. Anyway we obviously said yes we needed an extra bed. We went to the room, the right honourable something or other only to find we couldn't swing a cat. Where was the extra bed to go? The room was tiny, yes it was tastefully decorated inkeeping with the old house and the view of the golf course was pleasant enough however no way was it worth £205 per night. As we had stayed many times before we knew what the standard rooms were like and trust me they were much larger and more comfortable than this cupboard. I immediately called reception and asked them to swap us back to our original booking. Back to reception with our bags to be given another room key. We didnt ask for the £60 to be refunded as we knew we would be dining there etc anyway. Once we arrived at room 145 it was as expected, large, clean, bright with 2 double beds. My little girl was immediately looking for a juice of some sort as we had now trekked the length of the hotel and its many stairs. Opened the mini bar and it was empty! Why? Later on in the evening we were about to complete the breakfast request sheet for room service but there was no pen. I went to reception and asked for a pen. I was told there should be one in the room, there wasnt. We had booked a table at the restaurant which was more relaxed we were told as we had our Daughter with us for this stay, I think it was called Zen but that may be wrong. On previous visits we had dined at the formal restaurant. Arrived at Zen to find it overlooked the swimming pool. It wasnt what I had hoped for but hey ho, we hungry and my Daughter didnt have to be super quiet if you know what I mean. The crab and cheese toasties were bland, the peppercorn sauce with my £27 steak was like water and the side salad consisted of shredded iceberg lettuce, nothing else. My Daughters tomato soup was Heinz from a tin, however the menu did state this, her fish fingers were fantastic though and all of our deserts hit the spot. Our meal cost £97.00 which we felt was so over priced for what essentially was average food. This included a bottle of wine. My husband left a £10 tip to be polite, I on the other hand wouldn't have. We then went to the cocktail bar to buy some drinks for our room so the little one to go to sleep. We purchased a cocktail, 4 diet pepsi and a bottle of wine. We asked if the room had a bottle opener to be told yes. Guess what? No bottle opener. Called reception who said the room does have a bottle opener, assured them it doesnt. 15 minutes pass and then a young girl arrives with a bottle opener for a wine bottle (screw type) no opener for the small bottles of pepsi. We did explain on the phone what we needed open. No one listens at the Dalmahoy. This could go on and on but even Im boring myself now! The breakfast was average as well, bacon resembled the sole of a boot. Oh and incidentally, we were charged £15.50 for my Daughters breakfast, why? Our rate of £175 per night was b&b. Tried to connect to the wifi aslo, this cost extra, off course it does. £175.00 per night isn't enough to keep this standard room operational. From a hotel background myself I know this will actually cost you around £40. Pure greed and shame on you. What has happened to the Dalmahoy? I wont be back to find out.

Room Tip: Stick to a standard room, they are larger than the main house rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Lex M
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Alexis,

Thanks for letting us know about your recent stay here at Dalmahoy, I am sorry to hear that we gave you so many reasons to complain. Please be assured that we take all feedback here very seriously and thank you for allowing me time to prepare my response.

I am frustrated to hear about your upgrade confusion as it is a very straight forward process, we have addressed this with Tommy who checked you in, I apologise if you felt mislead, this was most certainly not his intention. He also should not have allocated you room 421 as there is clearly no space for an extra bed in that room. This is a training need which we have addressed with the entire team. I have personally checked the room you finally stayed in, and there is in fact a bottle opener built into the sink unit in the bathroom, but perhaps this was not fully explained to you.

We made the business decision not to stock our minibars over four years ago, and I appreciate that this is still a service our guests expect. I am also sorry to hear that you felt the food quality in Zest was not up to expectation, I have shared your comments with our Head Chef. We regularly receive great feedback for our breakfast, so to hear that you found the food quality so poor, is very frustrating. Be assured we will act upon your feedback. You are right that your daughter should not have been charged the full amount for breakfast.

As you have also contacted the hotel directly I have sent a goodwill gesture and hope you will accept it as an indication of our intention or restore your faith in Dalmahoy.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirknewton
Novotel Edinburgh Park
#82 of 150 in Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,439 reviews
Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh Airport

Been to Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!