“First impressions fail on so many levels.”

Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

I was really looking forward to this stay. Sadly within 1 hour all I wanted to do was leave. Beautiful building in the marketing cleverly conceals the 3 star maze at the back. It says the majority of rooms have views over the countryside - ours had glorious views of 50+ windows across an enclosed square. Walked on food crumbs on the floor and a chair was damp! I did not, therefore, feel confident the room was clean. No executive lounge. Booked months ago on rewards so the good news is at least the room was 'free'. Wouldn't stay again myself and would caution others. Perhaps management should visit the Marriott in Aberdeen for a few tips!

• Stayed: July 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,782)

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a beautiful property. My husband, who golfs, says that the golf course is excellent. The staff are friendly and professional. Our room (421) was a tastefully decorated, if a bit over-priced, being called a "suite" even though it's the average size for a Marriott room. Room service was good quality and prompt, though the mini-bar advertised on the website was just an empty fridge. It would have been the romantic weekend we planned . . . if only we had come in December. It had to be at least 85F/30C in there at midnight.

Now, we are admittedly experiencing a summer heat wave in Scotland with temperatures around 20-23 each day, and old listed buildings like the Dalmahoy are usually not air conditioned . . . but there was NO REASON for that room to be so hot. If housekeeping would have just opened the windows in the morning that probably would have helped a lot. By the time we arrived at 10:00pm there wasn't enough time to leave the windows & curtains open to cool the room before darkness fell and insects were drawn in (because the Brits don't seem to know what window screens are). The hall outside our room was a perfectly normal temperature. A fan was provided, but once the room gets that hot there's really nothing for it. I tried taking a cold shower but the coolest water I could get out of the tap was warm. We left very disappointed.

We had booked massages at the spa and when we left the hotel at 8:00am Saturday morning I called and left a message to cancel our services for Sunday at 4:00pm. On Sunday afternoon, the spa called my mobile asking where we were. The spa staff is clearly not checking their messages.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

At Marriott Dalmahoy, you pay for a royal rustic staying experience in a well maintained 18th Century premises by an extremely courteous and helpful staff. It is a Golf resort with a wonderful cocktail Bar(I could spend hours here), a formal dining awarded restaurant, a casual one, excellent gym, pool and acres of fields. It is most definitely a jewel for those who want to have a peaceful rustic experience. I shall return for the peace, tranquility, service and rustic 18th century estate.

Aileen, receptionist, handled my complications at check in with sensitivity and care. The third party conference organiser had miscommunicated my early two night stay to the Marriott and realising this error on their part Aileen assigned me the Honourable James suite at the conference rates on her own initiative. Timothy, at the reception, also ensured my transfer from the suite to the conference assigned room was to my comfort and ease.

Room service was excellent and food is of a high standard. The pool and gym were excellent as well. I enjoyed my early morning walks around the estate and reading in the cocktail bar where the Internet was complimentary.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a decent enough hotel - very nice decor in country house style, and the surroundings are impressive - a nice environment in its own expansive grounds, which make for a peaceful and quiet location. However, apart from this, you pay 4* prices for a stay that, in many respects, can be less satisfactory than at a Premier Inn. I stayed at the Dalmahoy for 3 nights in July, in a really hot period, and the bedroom was uncomfortably warm because there's no air conditioning! - and the windows only open a fraction. The heat hits you as you walk into your bedroom. They do give you a fan, but this doesn't really make much difference; it was still too hot to sleep. Premier Inn always has air conditioning.

Other cons are: wifi is free only in the public areas (better than nothing - but they charge £6 per hour to use it in your room!); the showers are poor - no pressure.

Staff are very pleasant and helpful, and service is good - but that's also the case at every Premier Inn I've stayed at. There's a good range of food avaialble for breakfast - here it does score over Premier Inn, but it costs twice what the Premier Inn breakfast (which is perfectly good) will cost you.

So my advice is, if you want a good hotel in Edinburgh at a good price (provided you book early enough) go to Premier Inn at the Gyle, where you'll get: a large, air conditioned room; free wifi for 30 minutes every day and it costs only £3 for 24 hours - in your room or in the public areas; a really powerful shower; ample free parking. Avoid the Dalmahoy in the height of summer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I will start by saying that I am a very well traveled person and to give a hotel 4 or 5 stars it must be outstanding! The property needs a serious refurbishing. It's a nice property and the grounds are fantastic. The staff is very friendly and quick to serve. Service is the reason to stay at this property. If you are looking for a grand scale Marriott property with marble and all the finish out you will be disappointed. This is not the staff's fault it is Marriott's fault. I am platinum status and you don't get there by not staying with Marriott. I understand the golf at this resort is outstanding and the course has held the British open before.

Room Tip: We stayed in the turret suite-#132 very good size. Room was $212. Per night and included breakfast...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2013

FlyBe put me in here after they cancelled my connecting flight for operational reasons, so it is a place that I would not have chosen under normal circumstances, There were long delays getting a fellow disabled passenger off the plane, a 45 minute wait, then staff at the airport dealing with the wheelchair bound who would not take us to the taxi with the passenger in the wheelchair as he wouldn't be responsible for us. When we eventually got one of the taxi company to walk us across the taxi we had been waiting 1 and 1/4 hour. The taxi driver left us to load our own bags into the car before we finally set off.

None of the above has got anything to do with the Dalmahoy, but it put me in a certain frame of mind when we walked into the place after a £24 trip (paid by FlyBe) in the taxi.

I was instantly warmed by the look of the place as soon as we drew up. This was obviously going to be a quality experience. Sure enough the greeting was great, but the check-in rate for two of us had not been agreed with FlyBe. We had a room and breakfast, but not for dinner. So there was more waiting at reception, until we were obviously becoming more annoyed with yet another wait. We were giving a token for a complimentary tea, coffe or soft drink from behind the bar, so we just sat in there and placed the order. An hour later the rate was sorted. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I had got so sick of waiting that I wasn't going to bother with dinner in either of their restaurants.

The room was large, clean and fitted with quality furnishings. I tucked into a flapjack and a bag of crisps that I was carrying with me, had a shower, which is over a bath, ordered breakfast, did some emailing at the desk and eventually took to my bed. I had a comfortable night, another shower and back into the previous day's sweaty clothes thanks to FlyBe not getting me back on the right day.

The breakfast was fine, but the packets of museli are so small you might want to order two of them. The breakfast menu has a wide choice, but I didn't spot porage as a choice, in amongst all of the other choices.

I would be happy to come back, but in happier circumstances and where the booking was by FlyBe and due to a cancelled flight. I am sure that the Dalmahoy would be a great place to stay. I just regret missing the restaurant, but I just didn't want to wait for anything else.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Attended a Wedding on 24th Feb 2013, which we had booked a room for the night, rooms were not available until late afternoon so we all had to use the Brides room ( there were about 10 of us at one point, mostly males ) which caused a lot of stress and upset to the Bride to be.
After writing to the Hotel I received a letter with several apologies for the lack of communication and lack of being told about breakfast ( which we had paid for but were not told about )
As a Hotelier myself, I was very disappointed in the lack of management and care in the Dalmahoy, it’s what I call " all fur coat and no knickers" all smiles but nothing behind them
Very poor service, very poor information, and very poor "apology"
Will not be back

Room Tip: Best to try a family owned local Hotel
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Douglas F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirknewton
Norton House Hotel & Spa Edinburgh
#4 of 4 in Livingston
Novotel Edinburgh Park
Novotel Edinburgh Park
#74 of 151 in Edinburgh

Been to Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!