“Slightly Aged, but excellent in general.”

Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Firstly, the downsides. The hotel is slightly aged, although still extremely nice - the fixtures in fittings in places are showing significant signs of age, and not in the good way.

Secondly, the Wifi is expensive at £15, given this is outside of Edinburgh city, and local coffee shops/pubs with Wifi are quite some drive away then it's worth factoring this into the cost of you're trip here. We refused to pay this price, just due to value!

Other than that, it is extremely comfortable and the hotel staff are friendly and helpful. We stayed during Winter, but can see this would be a fantastic retreat to come to during the summer, and the grounds are fantastic. For those interested, there is also on site church!

We found that a car was essential, although be warned that it is several miles to Edinburgh city centre, but Stirling, Glasgow and Livingston are all within a short drive. Livingston in particular is a shorter distance just for a coffee or a lunch. There is also a Carvery Pub opposite named Ratho Park (Crown Carveries) if you are looking for something close by.

However, there is a bus stop close by, and the Park and Ride is 3 miles down the road.

The Spa (run by another business) was poor, however - did not take the time advertised for the massage for my other half, and is poorly equipped to offer the range that is advertised.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Regular at this hotel and returned again for the New Year celebrations with my partner and my family. Staff friendly and helpful and could not do enough to help. Mulled wine being served in reception for guests. Room clean and tidy and up to normal Marriott standards. Plenty of choice for breakfast.
The New Gala dinner was excellent, food hot and superb. Ceilidh and disco great fun.
Looking forward to my next trip back to the Dalmahoy

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The greeting was a little abrupt rather than friendly and some of the staff also came across as abrupt but I think this may have been due to them being foreign. All in all the hotel was very good and I would recommend it, it seems a strange complaint but it would be that we were very rushed through all our meals. They hadnt even got to the kitchen with our finished starter plates when the main courses were brought out. I hadnt even finished chewing and my plate was taken away on 2 different occassions. Breakfast is ok but food could be hotter.
But generally this hotel was good, I would stay again and would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Bit of a maze in there, if you have problems walking you need to tell them as there is quite a walk...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on the 28th & 29th dec, 6 adults and 3 kids rooms were spacious and spotless should,have had an upgrade but for the sake of bathrobes and slippers passed on it .Swimming pool was excellent with good changing facilities but at certain times was just to busy to gain access .only ate at the zest restaurant but portions and quality were excellent. Overall good 2 night family break

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in mid November for my wife's birthday. We both needed a switch off and after a pleasant drive up we were checked in by a friendly, professional lady at reception. The room was spacious and typically "Marriott" standard. As it was my wife's birthday the hotel had kindly and unexpectedly placed a bottle of wine in the room for us which was a very nice touch.....here was no corkscrew and only one wine glass but the thought was there at least. We had a couple of drinks in the bar before heading into Edinburgh as we has a table booked at the Dome and it was so relaxing we could have just stayed there! A return taxi trip into the centre of Edinburgh will set you back around £40. When we returned to the hotel later that evening we had a nightcap in the bar and again the atmosphere and service was very good. Breakfast the following morning was ok but not up to Marriott standards...no fried eggs etc. We weren't there long enough to use the spa etc but we mostly enjoyed what we experienced. If we returned to Edinburgh we would stay somewhere more central next time but this is for our convenience and no reflection on the hotel or their staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My wife and I had a pre- Christmas break to Edinburgh. We felt it would be nice to stay just outside in this gorgeous country park hotel. We got a great deal off Super Breaks, so we only paid £99 each for bed and breakfast for 2 nights, plus dinner on the first night. A Bargain. With a bargain such as this I wouldn't complain, but feel I should warn people that are paying full price.

Firstly the good points; the staff were all very friendly and attentative. The room we were allocated was excellent, and comfortable (would have been ncie to get more than 1 biscuit between 2 though). The spa was of good quality - the pool was large and of decent temperature and the sauna and steam room did their intended jobs - the changing rooms were huge! Possibly the best part of the hotel.

The bar attached to the spa was good, the service in their excellent and the food ok... £8.50 for a beef sandwhich was a bit steep when you consider the beef was 2 slices of processed beef, probably from a packet from the local supermarket and not of good quality, but on the plus side the syrup sponge was to die for!

Now my big issue; the main restaurant; the Pentland Restuarant - this is taken from their website "This award-winning Scottish restaurant in Edinburgh, Scotland, serves traditional food cooked to the AA Rosette standard. Enjoy a delicious meal with friends, family or business associates, overlooking stunning views of our championship golf course"

Served to the AA rosette standard - does it have any AA rosettes? because if I was the inspector they wouldn't have any. My wife and I had 3 sub-standard courses, luckily it was part of the deal so didn't cost us, but if we had paid it would have been in excess of £75 each, plus the £25 bottle of wine.

To start she had soup, which was fine, and I had Ham Hock Terrine; both delivered to the table within 2 minutes of ordering - my terrine had been taken straight from the fridge and was VERY cold.

For mains she had sea bass which was like rubber, and I had chicken in a tarragon sauce. The chicken was over cooked, and stringy with fatty bits running through it. It had been cooked with the skin on but the skin hadn't been fried so it was still skin and couldn't be eaten, and there was no tarragon in my sauce. It came with a mash so dry I needed to ask for extra gravy to wash it down.

Our deserts were even worse; the wife had a caramalised apple tart which was actually a slice of microwaved apple that was so rubbery it couldn't be cut, a caramel jelly which looked like the chicken fat in the roasting tin that's been allowed to cool and some digestive biscuit crumbs as the 'pastry base' - disgusting.

My desert was a passion fruit pannacotta; what I got was a bland pannacotta topped with more dry biscuit crumbs, a poor rasberry sauce and 3 frozen raspberry's.

Had we paid for this meal it would have cost approx. £175.00 - we could have got better from Asda's cafe. Had we beeen paying I would have sent EVERY dish back. This was the worst restaurant meal I have eaten in a very long time and I will never go back to that hotel again because of it.

But don't think that was the end of the problems; breakfast on day 2; I asked for poached eggs when we were seated. By the time they came I'd had a bowl of fruit and got sick of waiting so had a cooked breakfast. It took over 30 minutes to poach 2 eggs in a restaurant where we were one of only 4 tables. The eggs I got were both dry and overcooked.

This is not the standard of food I expect from a 2- AA rosette restaurant. Just to add - if you want to enjoy your meal with a stunning view of the Golf Course; don't go after 4pm in winter as it's dark, and they don't have outside lights so you can't see the golf course - the view by day isn't much better if you're sat anywhere other than in the window.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard A
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Our Daughter was married at the beautiful St. Mary's Church, Dalmahoy in November, within the grounds of the Dalmahoy Marriott Hotel and Country Club. The Marriott hosted the reception. What a fantastic day!
Everything was perfect and we were looked after so very well.
The staff were so helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble.
We and several family and friends had the pleasure of staying at the hotel. Our Daughter had the wonderful Honeymoon Suite overlooking the golf course.
I cannot recommend this hotel and country club highly enough as a wedding venue. It is a beautiful and romantic setting. I would like to thank the hotel staff for all they did to help make our Daughter and Son in Law's Wedding day so memorable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank PJS6083
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirknewton
Macdonald Houstoun House
#75 of 151 in Edinburgh
Livingston Lodge Hotel
Livingston Lodge Hotel
#4 of 4 in Livingston

Been to Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!