“Not top of the class but great golfing location”

Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kirknewton
Nottingham
“Not top of the class but great golfing location”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

If you are looking to base yourself amongst good golfing country then The Dalmahoy is a great choice. Added to which, the golf courses at the hotel are great fun and good standard.

The hotel was clean and super friendly service.
The downside is the the hotel gets so much occupancy, that it looks like its always a wee bit tired.

That said, the food was great and the rooms were comfortable.

Just be aware that this is a wedding hotel and there are always functions at the weekend which means that the corridors can be noisy with returning guests at 3 o clock in the morning!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Only stayed 1 night but really enjoyed it, nice room and friendly staff. No downsides that i could see

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2012

This hotel is ranked 1 out of 1 for the Kirknewton.

Where to start?

Upon check-in I was told that the wifi was £6 for an hour or £15 for 24 hours. When I asked the reception desk if that meant the wifi was superfast she could just about hide her shake of the head before mumbling about 'depending where you are'.

Needing to eat I headed straight to the formal bar area. There was a grand choice of three items on the menu. The cheapest was £10, the other two £20. I order a £10 and a £20 only to be told 10 minutes later that only 1 and a half of the items were available. I cut my losses and proceeded the cross-country hike to the Country Club. Up stairs, down stairs, round a corner. This place is a maze. Fortunately after complaining in advance to the restaurant manager at the Country Club my food arrived in 20 mins.

Another trek took my back to my room.Needless to say, although a 'wifi is available here' sign was proudly on display. After trying to 10 mins to connect to the wifi in my room I gave up and hiked back to the reception.

The reception then told me I had to go back to my room so I could call the help desk and get my signal boosted. At this point I gave up.

Oh, PS, the rooms are average at best.

Room Tip: Choose a room that is under a 1 mile walk from the reception.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank nicmitham
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Amazing place to stay we were here for my daughters wedding with over 100 guests who all stayed for the weekend. Each and everyone enjoyed their stay. From check in to check out would give them 10/10 Rooms are spotless. food excellent and staff were all friendly and helpful.Could not fault this hotel . If you are looking to get married in Edinburgh would recommend you go and check this place out. The wedding was fantastic thanks to the Lynette and her wonderful staff .

Room Tip: You would enjoy your stay in any of the rooms. but if you can afford it would recommend the suites t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2012

We arrived on the Sunday about three in the afternoon ,the staff where very courteous on arrival .I was surprised to be handed a map on how to get to my room and glad that i did take it.That night we where looking for somewhere to eat and the staff again at the desk where very helpful with their local knowledge.That night the room was stifling hot that i had to open the window ,the heating was not on .The bed was comfortable ,the room was large but could do with a revamp .With the window open the noise at half six in the morning was unbearable then further to that the conservatory roof must have been leaking so they wisely placed some dehumidifiers to dry the water which made an terrible droning noise.....AT HALF SIX IN THE MORNING...not good enough....Lets look on the bright side the breakfast was good but would not pay £15.00 pounds for....Oh yeah nearly forgot ,the changing rooms at the spa/swimming pool where being renovated .... Thank goodness they had guiness and a nice wee mc callan at the bar....

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Tom G, Director of Operations at Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that you did not get the best night's rest, we are always happy to help find rooms in other parts of the building to make sure our guest's sleep well. We also have portable fans in every room to cool things down on a warm summer's night.

It is great to hear you found our team so helpful, we put a lot of resources into training and developing our associates, this is so they can provide the best possible service. Our Marriott breakfast is a plentiful one, with a broad range of cooked and continental breakfast items, I am glad you enjoyed it.

The Country Club is indeed in the middle of a substantial refurb, and our brand new Zest Restaurant & Bar has recently opened to the public. Our male changing rooms were completed only last week, and the female facilities are not far behind. Hopefully next time you visit you can see the finished article.

It is also nice to hear you had time for a wee dram.

Kind Regards

Tom
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This hotel is based a little outside the center of Edinburgh, but it is well worth the sacrifice of not being in the city centre. The food is outstanding, the pool is brilliant. The beds are heavenly, fab nights sleep.
The wedding planning is first rate, the beauty room is excellent.
We have visited this hotel on many occassions over the last 10 years with friends and family. It has never failed to impress, and everyone we have introduced to the hotel has been impressed and severall have returned again. My favorite place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I’m going to say this hotel was ok but not quite up to the standards of other Marriott properties I’ve stayed in. I am a lifetime Gold member and current Platinum so I’ve seen my share of Marriott hotels. The staff at the hotel was nice and friendly. We arrived early and our room wasn’t quite ready. The front desk made a call to housekeeping and they quickly got our room cleaned. The hotel doesn’t have an Executive Lounge and we got there early enough that breakfast was still being served in the restaurant. So while the room was being cleaned we decided to have breakfast in the restaurant. Even though I am a Platinum member, they charged me for the breakfast because I didn’t stay the previous night.
The room was a nice size and the bed was comfortable. However, the room was very warm even though the heat was off. I had the window open and the outside temperature was cool but it really didn’t help much. Actually the window only open a tiny bit. This hotel is a golf resort with a lot of property and they claim to have a jogging trail however the trail was very short - maybe a hundred yards until it disappeared. The restaurant was nice but the buffet breakfast was cold. The internet was incredibly slow even at 5AM. The hotel is far from anything and a taxi into town was 20 Pounds. They say there is a bus that can take you into town but walking to the bus seem hazardous. Probably the biggest drawback of this hotel is the layout. It was a long way to our room. If you were to try to go to your room without leaving the building you would have to use the stairs to get to the elevators. You would have to go down some stairs then go up some stairs. If you were to walk around the hotel on the outside you wouldn’t need stairs. The closest elevator only went to the 2nd floor. We were on the 3rd floor so we had to take an elevator on the other side of the building. We had a much better experience staying at the Edinburgh Marriott.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay.

While a lot of people stay with us because of our idyllic country side location, I can understand your reluctance to take the short walk down our drive to get the bus. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about the taxi fares; I hope you were able to enjoy your time in the city!

Scottish weather is anything but predictable so it is hard to control the room temperature. We do have portable fans in every room to help cool things down on a warm summer's night.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the internet connection, please be assured we are continually working to improve connectivity throughout the hotel. As you mentioned the layout of the hotel is not the simplest, and this has logistical issues beyond just navigating the corridors. We will also be looking into your comments regarding the walking trail and your breakfast experience.

Kind Regards

Tom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kirknewton
Novotel Edinburgh Park
#85 of 147 in Edinburgh
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,460 reviews
Airport
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh Airport

Been to Dalmahoy Hotel & Country Club? Share your experiences!