“Great buffet”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ashoka Shak - Livingston - CLOSED

Ashoka Shak - Livingston
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Description: The first Ashoka Shak opened in 2001. Since then, the concept has been completely refined with a sassy new design. The Ashoka Shak came to Livingston in December 2002 at the McArthurGlen Retail Outlet, to spice up the lives of the curry lovers in Livingston. Why not try the Grand Buffet and give yourself a delicious treat? The mention of Ashoka conjures up images of Indian cuisine at its best. Their reputation for quality and service is legendary, with authentic home-style cooking from every region of India. The team wishes you a warm welcome to the Ashoka Shak and invite you to savour this exciting journey into the delectable delights of the truly authentic Indian menu.
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Great buffet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Super self-service lunchtime buffet. As much as you can eat for under £8 and always a good choice including lovely fresh-from-the- oven nan bread.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Alasdair M

Scotland, UK
“Good food, reasonable prices and nice staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My Wife and I found this little gem a few years back, now we travelto Livingston on a regular basis for shopping trips, if I am honest the fact that we can eat at the Ashoka Shak has more than a little bit to do with us heading there. The food is brilliant,we have never had a bad meal and the staff are some of the most pleasant I have ever met, add to that the reasonable prices and the Ashoka Shak has a winning formula for us.

• Visited December 2012
Stockton-on-Tees
“great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

I went a number of times and the buffet varies each time and is great value, Always a good sign is the fact that it was always full!!

Visited December 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Just wait till you read this...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have been married to an asian man for many years and I know how to cook authentic asian food ie starters, currys, biryanis, sweet dishes etc. I'm talking about proper home made food! I went to Ashoka Shak recently at lunchtime and was asked if I wanted to help myself to the buffet. So I did. Big mistake!!!!
The starter was awful. The small pieces of chicken were as hard as a brick, you could tell they had been lying there for ages. I had aloo curry (potato curry) and the sauce/masala was bland and rotten. It was as if they had bought a jar out of a supermarket and poured it in the wok with the potatos and presto!! I made a complaint to a member of staff about the food. I told him that asian people do not make food like this at home, it is nowhere near authentic. This is what he said "Yes mamm, we make this kind of food for the locals but I tell you true mamm, you see that korma over there, we would never make this in india". "Some of the food is authentic here, but some is not". I left the restaurant raging. I appreciated the waiter being honest with me, but I was angry that Jiggy Majhu, who's family own the restaurant, has brought out a cookbook and is deceiving non asian people into believing that the food she is selling is authentic, when it is clearly not. I spoke to a pakistani mother and daughter who were eating in the restaurant at the time and they said the food was bland, and my best friend who is asian said she would "never go near that restaurant because the food is crap"

• Visited December 2012
4 Thank rainbow r
Scotland, UK
“Average lunch buffet, quality of curries need improved upon”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Visited Livingston with family for shopping, price is ok at £7-50 for adults and £4 for children, for lunch for the buffet. Starters fine - 4 choices, mains not great, around 6 curries chicken, lamb and veg but all sauces watery, no desserts as part of the buffet, get nan pieces, rice and some salad\sauce that's about it. So for a quick bite to eat is passable, but if looking for quality I am sure you can find better in livingston.

1 Thank moon_uk_dundee