“Best place to experience Santiniketan”
Review of Mitali Homestays

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santiniketan
Mitali Homestays
Ranked #3 of 25 Santiniketan B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We visited Mitali from 11th till 13th Aug. We were a group of 4 adults and 2 children and thus had occupied the annexe building and it was so comfortable. This property is beautiful with lovely European farmhouse style 2 storied building and large lush green grounds with variety of trees and plants. Everything is well maintained and you have a cozy, lazy and restful feel all around. Rooms with attached baths are very neat and clean with aesthetic interiors.

Quality and quantity of food was good and we savored all the meals. Breakfast was complimentary and is English style with bread, eggs, fruit juices and tea or coffee. Breakfast at roof is refreshing and a sublime experience.

We loved our stay and wished that it could be prolonged. My daughter was very sad to leave and was wondering if we could stay there for ever, such was the beauty of the place.

Room Tip: I would prefer the annexe building since this has the privacy and won't intrude on the host fami...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank MuseMotif

Reviewed August 2, 2012

We visited Mitali Homestays from 27th to 29th July.We were a group of 7 family members including 3 teenage children.We had taken a car from Kolkata,and faced a little difficulty in locating the house,but directions by the caretaker over phone was helpful.The bunglow and annexe are built in colonial style and extremely picturesque.The huge gardens with plethora of plants ,flowers and organic vegetables are a treat for city dwellers.The house is very tastefully furnished and staff are polite.
We had booked the entire annexe ,but since the AC was not functioning in one room we were allotted another room "Nandini" in the main house.Apparently they were not prepared for this substitution,because although the room was clean -the attached bathroom was rather dirty.unfortunately it was not cleaned next morning,inspite of our request.
Cuisine is very good and staff are trained in different varieties of recipes-we tried Continental,Bengali and Mughlai-presentation and taste was excellent,although the teenagers in our group found the portions too small!
The main difference I could find between the excellent reviews that we had read,and our not so encouraging personal experience of cleanliness and services provided was certainly due to the absence of the owners.Had they been there,I am sure we would not have to give reminders to clean rooms and bathrooms at 1.30 pm on the second day! Rooms were cleaned in the late afternoon eventually,though not the bathrooms.Used tea cups and teapot were left on the dining table from evening till next morning,although I had arranged everything on the tea tray.
Mitali is an excellent property but I would advise guests to ensure that the owners are present when they visit.

Room Tip: If there are three people using one room,choose rooms in main building .
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank arpita_chakraverti
Reviewed August 1, 2012

What a wonderful time! Mitali is absolutely lovely, and the owners and staff could not be more inviting. I had a very arduous journey from Darjeeling prior to my arrival, but I was quickly rejuvenated here. The food was splendid and lovingly prepared, the grounds were immaculate, and as an added bonus, the other guests were friendly and interesting. But best of all (at least for me, since I work in the arts), there was a genuine appreciation for fine art and literature here (I suppose that is fitting for a home in Santiniketan). The owners are well connected in the community, so if you're looking for something special while you're in Santiniketan, they can probably oblige. For example, I was privileged to enjoy an evening of tribal drummers and dancers, performing by the light of a bonfire, in the front yard of Mitali. I doubt many other places could provide that quality of service.

Room Tip: Simply trust the owners... they have your best interest at heart.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Billy F
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The Homestays at 'Mitali' are awesome! I have visited numerous times and am captivated by the setting, the welcoming and cosmopolitan hosts, the outstanding cuisine - that ranges from Asian to International to Bengali, the dependable staff, and the endless panorama of activities. The Mitali homestead itself is idyllic, with spacious lawns and rooftop dining under the stars. One can opt to participate in local festivals, village visits, and university dialogues---or simply knock out work thanks to WiFi access. An extra is DesignAsia with custom-made clothing from local fabrics, right on site. I was posted in India for a long time as the head of a major United Nations organization, and Mitali in Shantiniketan is my favorite destination in India and beyond. My latest visit was July 2012 for over two weeks – it’s hard to beat the drama and delights of Monsoon showers followed by brilliant sunshine! Mitali Homestays earned my top recommendation. And: for all you get, it's a bargain!

Room Tip: For extra autonomy choose the Annex accommodations - either the pent house 'Gautham' room, o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Boston_Brenda
Reviewed May 7, 2012

This was a fantastic experience. Now it has become almost like my" second home" away from Calcutta and I am gonna be back there again this month. This is the best place you will find in Shantiniketan. Wonderful rooms and attached bathrooms, the living room is beautifully decorated with bric a bracs from all over the world. The food is superb and it is all fresh and organic homegrown.Sukanyadi is a fantastic cook. I highly recommend this place and the hosts are wonderful people. The ambience is warm and friendly. We had a very comfortable stay. This place reminded me of our bed and breakfast in Scotland or a Riad in Morocco. The breakfast is served up on the terrace and the evenings are magnificient with homemade shawarma and hommous. Truly wonderful experience and a perfect getaway for the weekend from the hustle and bustle of Calcutta.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank GhoshSrey
ulysses28, Manager at Mitali Homestays, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2012

Thank you for your warm review. We have had very enjoyable experiences ourselves with your stays, exchanging so many views and common likes all over the world. Your courteousness, your enthusiasm about Shantiniketan and Mitali and the food, all that made us feel that the effort is worthwhile, the endeavour something we will keep trying to improve!

Reviewed February 14, 2012

My husband and I have never visited Shantiketan before. We were on a short visit to Kolkata,from UK,to see family and friends. I had heard a lot about Shantiniketan,from childhood days, as my mother & aunt had been evacuated from Kolkata(when it was being bombed by the Japanese in 1942 during the 2nd World War,a year after Rabindranath Tagore passed away ) by my grandmother and sent to study in Shantiketan.
We decided to drive out from Kolkata and spend 1 night there. We found Mitali Homestay in the Tripadvisor website and like other reviewers,wished we could have stayed longer !
I think our whole experience of visiting Shantinketan was so special because the couple Sukanya and Krishno, who owns it, made it so ! The accommodation was charming & comfortable,the surrounding was beautiful with numerous trees, flower & vegetable garden,the food,which included organic vegetables and fruit prepared by Sukanya was deliciuos ! Sukanya also offered to guide us through the University campus next morning and it was a wonderful experience as she was an ex-student of the University !

Room Tip: The honeymoon suite with its own terrace was wonderful !
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Parvati I
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed three nights at Mitali and the only thing we could regret was our far too early departure.
We have travelled a lot, in India and other countries over the last couple of years but this homestay was really a very special experience. This started from the first contact (Once we managed to find their telephone number. There is no website yet, but you can easily find the number through google or google maps). The beauty of this villa and its surrounding garden (you could also call it a park) was just magnificent. The hospitality was extraordinary and felt absolutely authentic, Krishno, the host and his wife Sukanya made us feel at home from the first minute. He has been working abroad for international organizations most of his life. Our discussions on political, social, cultural topics were very interesting. He turned out to be a great source of knowledge for a better understanding of India in general and the rural area of Shantiniketan in particular.

Sukanya designs beautiful clothing and presents indian arts and crafts at her little galerie on the premises. Leave some space in your suitcase for some tasteful souvenir shopping.

After staying in Calcutta for most of the winter, for us Mitali was just the perfect get-away.

Having said all this, I still have not written about the best. The food we were served on the sunny roof top terrace was delicious and by far the best food I have eaten for months - at least. You can mention any speacial dietary preferences (such as veg. or non veg., oily ,non oily, etc.) on arrival and they will cater for your personal tastes.

Thank you Krishno and Sukanya for the wonderful time. If we ever come back to Calcutta we'll certainly also come to Mitali again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the honeymoon suite which is in a separate building close to the main villa and everyth...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mxraetz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santiniketan
Country Roads
#2 of 16 in Bolpur
No photo provided
Hemanjali Resort
#8 of 20 in Santiniketan

Been to Mitali Homestays? Share your experiences!