Mitali Homestays
Country Roads(Santiniketan)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe main househis wifebengali foodgas stovecandlelight dinnerended up eating breakfastuniversity townlonger stayperfect hostslovely experiencenice homestaypoush melathe hustle and bustlered soilin advancehome away from homemud house
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We spent New Years eve at Mitali and what a beautiful decision it turned out to be.
It is a colonial bungalow beautifully and lovingly maintained and is the perfect place to spend a few lazy days away from the mad rush of Kolkata and also away from the Santiniketan crowds.
Run by Krishno and Sukanya, the couple has put all their energies into making this a lovable and cozy retreat.
There is the main building and an annexe. We stayed at the annexe and it was perfect for the extended family of 7 that we were. There is one double room, a single room and a kitchenette plus a lovely terrace. This is on the 1st floor of the annexe and there is another double room on the second floor.
Food is served on the roof of the main building and it is again a really amazing place to have your meals especially during the winter. New Years eve was very well spent. Wine was served complimentary by the gracious hosts and so was the birthday cake for my mother (her birthday’s on the 31st Dec !)..and we made friends with Aditi and Partha – guests like us who were glad to be at Mitali !
The food needs mention as it is very well prepared and delicious (250/head for non-veg per meal and the cost is marginally more for Continental, Thai etc). The vegetables are all their own produce being grown in the garden and greenhouse.
The service is excellent; the staff is extremely well-behaved and polite and takes good care of you. It’s like being at home with absolutely ALL your needs looked after. All your transport headaches can be taken care of by Krishno / Sukanya at a cost.
Mornings and evenings were spent walking, visiting Sukanya's boutique in the bungalow grounds, playing carrom in the drawing room - it was idyllic ...
We spent a lovely couple of days, enjoyed it immensely and are planning to be back during the monsoons !!

Room Tip: Group / family of 7/8 people can take the Annexe building for privacy
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank abhi-andy
Reviewed February 2, 2012

When I heard about the place , I havent imagined it is such a hidden treasure so near Kolkata. It is ideal place for people who want sometime alone yet spend sometime with very near ones. I am talking about Krishna da and sukanya di. Both make our stay mesmerising. The evening talktime with them feel me very special.. And last but not the least, I havent have such food in any 5 star Hotel. It is so fresh(actually harvested in their garden) and mouth watering, I have no word for it. So dont miss it. It is really a hidden gem.
For Book Lovers it is also a heaven..... so many books in every room.

Room Tip: Every room have some thing to cherish for
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank ajay63
Reviewed January 22, 2012

From the very beginning, the trip to Shantiniketan was an utter success! The hosts were so gracious and accommodating - they really tried their best to make our stay unforgetable. We had such amazing food and the variety of cooking was so delicious. I loved all the fresh fruit and vegetables from their garden. The personal baul music concert was amazing and the grounds were beautiful. The facilities were very nice and I had such a relaxing time there. I highly recommend this place. I will be returning! Make sure you take home some of those homemade preserves from their garden. So yummy! I don't think I've eaten so much in a long time.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kim W
ulysses28, Owner at Mitali Homestays, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2012

As hosts, we very much enjoyed the relationship developed with the guest and her 7 companions over a 3-day period. Although the house was full, each had a lot of character, highly interested in the culture, sights and sounds of Shantiniketan, but also at home within the property, able to fully appreciate the food and facilites on offer, contributing at least as much as they received. This was one of the best stays we've had.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

I have stayed in quite a few guest houses and home-stays in three continents, in over 10 different countries; I can say with confidence that this is the very best of these experiences. The host communicated well in advance of our arrival, with accurate direction (believe me, this is not an easy task in India). We were welcomed by our smiling host at the gate. The house is located in a quiet neighborhood, surrounded by large trees, beautiful lawns, numerous flowers, and there's a fruit orchard. A house is spacious, with a colonial design, tastefully decorated, several rooms are lined with a formidable collection of books--I could easily spend a year reading those--walls hung with beautiful paintings and memorabilia, clean and spacious attached bathrooms with adequate hot water facility. The food was out of this world. The hostess personally supervises the cooking,;much of the menu is influenced by traditional Bengali dishes, some I guess carried touches of the Tagore family traditions, and some were the hostess' own innovation. The food alone is reason enough to spend a few nights here. The staff was always smiling, and ready to make us comfortable. Dining is on the terrace, under a canopy, surrounded by flowers, with a curious collection of fossil tree stumps dating at least 10-15 million years lying at one corner. If needed, the staff can arrange visits to local concerts by folk singers and tribal village dancers (we choose not to do so). Conversations with the host, a retired economist with the United Nations, and the hostess, made our stay intellectually satisfying. If you are lucky, as we were, you might even be treated with Tagore's songs sung by the sonorous voice of the hostess. As I said, this has been the best home-stay in my experience. A great value for the money. I highly recommend this home-stay to anyone with an intellectual bent, who is looking for a relaxing time. We plan to return.

Room Tip: If you wish to make friends with the hosts, stay in the main house. If you cherish more privacy, stay in the separate house.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Doctorbabaguy
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We visited Shantiniketan during Dole festival in 2011. After much of searching for accomodation we finally settled for Mitali Homestay.

Our expereince on all counts,booking and reservation, directions to the place, facilities during stay, lodging and boarding, food and general assiatnce was excellent. We have recommended this place to several people.

Someday we would want to go and stay for longer duration then just 4/5 nights. Place is very serene and very well maintained.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family