“Decent place for an overnight trip”

Rater Tara Diner Rabi Guest House
Ranked #2 of 25 Santiniketan B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We visited Shantiniketan immediately after the Durga Puja festival in Kolkata. It was a full family affair so we had booked the entire guest house. There are a number of accommodation options, including rooms with double beds, triple beds and even a suite with four beds.
The rooms are large and were very clean. There are all the basic facilities as well. However do not expect any luxuries. The beds are comfortable and large too so for a single night two adults and a child can fit in without too much of a squeeze.
Breakfast was included in our package but it's a very ordinary affair with just toast, omlette, a few fruits and tea or bad coffee on offer.
The guest house offers parking space too but there is no separate garage or anything. The cars are left lined behind each other on the drive way itself. The compound though is fairly large with decent lawns on either side of the drive way. The best part of this guest house is the huge balcony overlooking the driveway and the lawns. A fine seating arrangement exists for pre- or post dinner get togethers. This though would be possible only if one is going in a large group.
On the downside, the guest house is a little away from the hubbub of the main town. That also means that it isn't particularly easy to get transport into the main town. However it is close to the Prantik railway station, which is a plus.
My recommendation would be you stay here if you're travelling in a large group, like we did, and if you're travelling by road or if you've already arranged for transport during your stay in Shantiniketan.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank AnindaS

Reviewed November 14, 2011

Having gone through the reviews and ranking decided to book rooms well in advance in January 2012. When i called up at the mobile no of the owner Mr Banerjee and asked about the room rates .He mentioned it was Rs 1250 per night for non ac double deluxe and he gave me the office number in Kolkata so i could contact and book in advance by paying 50 %

When I reached the office to book the rooms prepared with the cash. The office man told it is 2000 per night...........he also called up the owner ................when I spoke to him ..............he admitted his mistake .......but said he cannot consider Rs1250 rate . Since we had a budget I requested him to please consider the rate but he was impolite and did not adjust for his own mistake.

I returned home upset about the entire situation..............it was a wastage of time and energy to go all the way to their office. We could have decided on some other place that suited our budget.

This kind of unprofessional behaviour was not expected from the owner.

Room Tip: Please be check the rates from the office because the owner of the guest house does not know the rat...
Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Juhin
RTDR, Owner at Rater Tara Diner Rabi Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2011

The lady, who has provided this review, was never stayed as couple in our guest-house in December 2010 as claimed in review and this can be verified from our guest register.

Our rate is same for every guest and rates are changeable occasion to occasion i.e. it varies during festivals like Pous Mela, Basanto Utsav (Holi Festival), Durga Puja and also at season time. This can be verified from other similar establishments doing business in Santiniketan.

She was insisting for lower rate, which we used to offer at off-season where both my office staff and my self told our inability to provide any discount at season, which perhaps was not acceptable to her and she didn’t book any room stating that the rate is not suitable to her. Neither my office staff nor my-self told to her over phone any amount other than our usual rate. Our tariff for January- March is about 25% more than usual rate and she was told by me over telephone about it very clearly. During the course of discussion over phone neither I have misbehaved nor was I impolite as alleged.

This is not correct that I don’t know the rates of the guest-house to provide it correctly to my prospective customers, as I am carrying always a printed tariff and booking position with me so that I may provide correct figures to my guests in case of necessity.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

I have choosed this resort through internet.Really speechless services we got.
To say about the rooms - Really that was the definition of the comfort.
To say about Environment - Really take a break for a complete greenery.
To say about Foods - We didnt distinguish from our home.Everyday we got a special dishes on our request.

Apart from that we got a special attention from every body in the hotel.
To say in one word that was amezing.

I WOULD LIKE TO SUGGEST EVERY COUPLE, EVERY FAMILY AND EVRY PERSONS TO STAY HERE AND ALSO DEFINITELY TAKE THE FOOD THROUGH THEM.

ARGHYA BOSE

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I stayed at rater tara Diner Rabi from 8th october 2011-11th October 2011. Before going there I was alittle apprehensive about the place , being and guest house and not a hotel, as I am used to a hotel wherever I visit. But after reaching there, I found it awesome, quiet, calm surrounding with lots of trees, flowers and a beautiful garden. The staff were courteous and above all the food was excellent. The rooms were spacious, the verandah in front of the room on 1st floor is awesome. One can have the experience of a rocking chair in the verandah. There are cane sofas where one can enjoy the evenings with chicken, onion pakoras and tea.
If one want to really enjoy the serene beauty, quiet and calm and peaceful atmosphere of Shantiniketan, this is the place to stay. So, just pack your bags and get going.

Indrajit Sen, The Times of India, Response, Kolkata

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank KolkataTrapadvisor
Reviewed July 31, 2011

The air-conditioned rooms were very nice. Very courteous staff who were very helpful and they accommodated all our needs. We also liked the food very much. The cook arranged for all the special dishes we requested. We really felt at home, considering the fact that we traveled all the way from Chicago for our first ever visit to Santinikenan.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Soumya_BH
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We chose this hotel from trip advisor. We got a room in the ground floor which was dark and a little depressing. We had to keep all the windows closed with curtains as there was no privacy if we opened the curtains. I think the 1st floor rooms are better ,so anyone going there please insist on a 1st floor room. The bathroom had no separate dry area for the shower and each time you used the toilet there would be mud prints as the bathroom was perpetually wet if you happen to have a bath. In-spite of the lovely flowers in the garden there were some grotesque plastic flower in the room which was a complete eyesore
The food was simple and good bengali cuisine and the dining area was clean.
The staff was friendly and the presence of the owner Mr Banerjee was a bonus because he was really helpful

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank sujata_11
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Excellent place to Stay at Shantiniketan., Rooms are good , staffs are friendly , too good bengali food... A Beautiful well maintained garden everything you need for a short break,Fortunate enough to meet with Mr. Banerjee the owner, a thorough gentleman.Thanks for his effort.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank vikramfrmsibpur
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santiniketan
Country Roads
#2 of 17 in Bolpur
No photo provided
Panthashala Guest House
#7 of 25 in Santiniketan

Been to Rater Tara Diner Rabi Guest House? Share your experiences!