“it used to be good buttttt....”
Review of Horse and Jockey - CLOSED

Horse and Jockey
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: All day every day we serve delicious traditional pub favourites plus a good selection of "Specials" which appear on our blackboards and change regularly. On Sunday's, in addition to our usual menu and Specials we also offer a choice of roasts with seasonal accompaniments.
Reviewed January 31, 2014

not any more... had 2 quite pricey steaks with chips n peas,, although cooked for medium was soooo chewy i couldn`t eat mine after a good try but nothing was said when the plate collected so not impressed.. i rarely have need to complain but would have been courteous to ask.... hubby ate his ok but wont be going back. The pub itself should be a lovely cosy warm and welcoming place to be and up to the minute decor but now is very TIRED and SHABBY looking, so is very bland.... enough said..¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

5  Thank bubblylady_10

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We visited the pub as a party of nine and we were very well looked after. Staff are friendly and attentive. The food is pretty standard 'pub-grub' but is well-priced. There is an extensive menu with a variety of cuisines to try.

The pub could probably do with a bit of a re-fit as it is quite tired.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I am a 64yr old man, with my daughter and boyfriend we visited this place in september 2013. the quality of the food was apalling, I ordered mussels for a starter, 6 shells had not opened, I easly detected these come out of a supermarket flat pack because of the content and lack of liquer.I ordered a chicken madrass for a main course, the chicken must have been ripped from the bird, the first time the chicken had seen its sauce was when it come out of the jar and put in the microwave.The service was appalling, the waiting staff just stood round in a circle talking, to get service you had to call for them. to cut this horrible experience short, because i have never had to write a review before, i will conclude.With drinks our bill was almost £70, we did leave a tip of £5,i dont know why? but I am diabeticand needed to go and sit in the car to take my 2 injections, whilst my daughter and boyfriend smoked a cigarette outside.A couple of minutes later they were questioned about the bill by a waiter, who then returned for a second time, we left perplexed, and vowed never to return. my regards to the microwave who worked very hard. We were on holiday from kent.

8  Thank crystalball1
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had booked in advance for a family meal. We were greeted on arrival and our table was already set and waiting for us.
All of the staff were extremely attentive and we were treated like we were their family. My 5 year old son is extremely energetic and can be hard work but the staff didn’t mind and one of the senior managers even called me over to let me know that I didn’t need to worry about it.
The meals were lovely and portions were generous. We sat at our table talking for a long time after we had eaten and didn’t feel that we were overstaying our welcome.
I would definitely recommend this establishment.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have only just joined trip advisor to be able to post this review. I must say on both occasions visiting the service was lovely and we received a pleasant welcome. But the food spoils the effort the front of house staff make. I took my grand mother here for some lunch on a day out after having a lovely meal here at an earlier time in the year. We ordered a ploughmans which came as a couple of wilted lettuce leaves, and dried out cucumber, the cheese on the ploughmans was some pre-grated cheddar in a sauce bowl & some ham slapped on the side. Very very bland and dissapointing, as this could be a really lovely place to eat. We have not returned since.

5  Thank LB D