“dissapointing”
Review of Horse and Jockey - CLOSED

Horse and Jockey
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: All day every day we serve delicious traditional pub favourites plus a good selection of "Specials" which appear on our blackboards and change regularly. On Sunday's, in addition to our usual menu and Specials we also offer a choice of roasts with seasonal accompaniments.
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have only just joined trip advisor to be able to post this review. I must say on both occasions visiting the service was lovely and we received a pleasant welcome. But the food spoils the effort the front of house staff make. I took my grand mother here for some lunch on a day out after having a lovely meal here at an earlier time in the year. We ordered a ploughmans which came as a couple of wilted lettuce leaves, and dried out cucumber, the cheese on the ploughmans was some pre-grated cheddar in a sauce bowl & some ham slapped on the side. Very very bland and dissapointing, as this could be a really lovely place to eat. We have not returned since.

5  Thank LB D

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

We took mother in law to this pub earlier this week, it must be 30 years after my last visit! Exceptional menu, warm welcome from what I presumed to be the landlady and the very efficient waitress! Between us we ate the Liver & Onions, Ham off the bone and the Chicken Madras. I took the 'hot, hot, hot' option on the curry and was not disappointed - great flavour and easily up to 'vindaloo' spicyness!

1  Thank grapow
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Ate here twice in recent weeks. Once to check it's suitability for an office birthday party and once for that very party! On both occasions staff were friendly and food was good. Rather boringly, I had the same meal at each visit (it was that good). Steak baguette with mushrooms and chips. Rather yummy, very substantial and good vale at £6.95.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

As a family group we visited the Horse and Jockey last week. We were quite a large group that went just for drinks. The reception we received could have been called drab and we felt that we were really an imposition. The later cokes were served without mixture so in fact were just carbonated water so these also needed changing. A drab and uninspiring visit never to go again. This is such a shame as I remember this place from only a few years ago when it was ultras busy a the place filled with many smiling faces.

5  Thank Alison727
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Only a five minute drive from the premier inn Pontypool we made a booking for a Saturday evening and orders went in as soon as we got there ,the service we could not fault ,and the waiter and waitress was helpful and friendly,I can recommend the food it came pipping hot,Ideal pub for eating at if you want a quiet meal and you are staying at the Premier inn,