“Fantastic Mother's Day”
Review of Carpenters Arms

Carpenters Arms
Ranked #4 of 49 Restaurants in Pontypool
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Privately owned and run for the last 9 years. We buy all our ingredients as locally as possible. We make all of our dishes in house, including desserts!As well as great pub food, we also have a huge selection of fresh meats and fish.We can cater for parties up to 100 in our function room,(200 if you would like to book the whole pub)We have a civil marriage licence and have a great deal of wedding experience, and can help plan your perfect day. We tailor make each day to suit your needs and budget.We also cater and host all family functions such as birthdays, christenings and wakes.We'll always do our very best to help so please drop in or give us a call.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Mother's Day”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had a fabulous Mother's Day Sunday Lunch at the Carpenters Arms. This was my second visit and certainly won't be my last. The whole family loved it, my son & daughter-in-law treated my mum & I which was fantastic. I had the roast pork which was melt in the mouth gorgeous. Definitely one to try if you've never been there before. Very friendly staff & full of atmosphere with a cosy log fire & beautifully decorated.

1 Thank ritamanita
matt h, Owner at Carpenters Arms, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hello Ritamanita!

Thank you thank you thank you! What A lovely review :D I always have a look to see if we've had any feedback and it literally give's me such joy to see the team and I giving our visitors such a nice time!

We work our socks off trying to get everything perfect and I'm completely delighted you've enjoyed it!

Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know on here too, it means the world to me and I'm very very grateful. (We've been flat out all day with a wedding today, so this will give my guys and girls a great boost of energy and pride when I pop down and tell them too)

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend :D

Thanks again,

Matt

“Perfect Mother's Day meal”
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

My family and I have eaten here a few times, and have always had lovely meals. We booked for Mother's Day and the food was still stunning even though it's one of the busiest to dine out. i loved where we sat, down steps where there was a lovely fire i would have liked to stay all day. I can't wait for the summer when we can enjoy the beer garden. The staff are always friendly and helpful.
It takes us nearly an hour to get to you, well worth the journey.
Can't wait to come back.

matt h, Owner at Carpenters Arms, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hey Purseygirl,

Thanks for your (second I note :D) lovely review. I'm especially delighted you enjoyed your Mothers day with us as it's one of our busiest days of the year and as such quite a challenge behind the scenes!

I always say it, but, it makes it soooo much difference to me when people kindly let us know we've done well. Having started at 8am personally that day it's a real bonus to be appreciated. SO thanks again!

I'll pass it on to my team too as they all worked their socks off and will be just as happy to know they've done a top job.

Many thanks again,

A very happy Matt! :D
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
“Simply superb !”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

What an amazing meal for my Husband ,myself and my Step daughter for an early Mothers Day treat . We have been here quite a few times before as the food is always of excellent quality and consistant .We had amongst the meals mushrooms in garlic and stilton (amazing !) As a keen amateur I almost asked for the recipe ! Sea bass in caper butter (mouthwatering) Lamb cutlets with redcurrant and red wine jus (out of this world !)

The mashed potato is scrummy (but was more of a crushed potato and more delicious )

We have eaten both in the main dining area ,old part of pub and early this Sat evening at the round snug table . I have to disagree with the previous poster as we found this table very cosy and private . All areas are very pleasant .

The young waitress was lovely and as my pals Sandra and Gary ,(and work collegue another Sandra who lives nearby in her almost built house !) who are all frequent visitors would agree top quality food and surroundings .( I recommended you to a couple only today )

Sara Henderson.

matt h, Owner at Carpenters Arms, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Hey Sara,

Thanks a million for sharing your review on here. It always puts a smile on my face to see the enjoyment our visitors get from our services :D

I can assure you that the pleasure I get from a thank you makes it all worth while!

I always pass on these comments to the team so that they know that they've been appreciated too, it is great for us and really goes a long way.

Thanks again,

newport,south wales
“Gets better and better”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I was introduced to this restaurant a few years ago by my brother, ever since a FAB meal i have been returning and it gets better and better
We openly recommend people we no to try the carpenters through our experience we know they will be well looked after and delighted with the food and service
Visited again last night with 2 friends and there toddler, as usual superb starters and presentation, mussels the biggest ive ever seen and better than i had in looe cornwall last week
The duck sensational, fish stew specials board WOW
One thing i feel really makes the experience is that the owner Matt always makes a point of coming out at the end of the night to mingle with customers and get a feel for how the night is and has gone, goes down very well
Last note staff are all great, happy attentive and vey good at there job
This restaurant is now NUMBER 1 for many people

1 Thank richard4279
matt h, Owner at Carpenters Arms, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Hey Rich,

I've just crawled out of the kitchen after an insanely busy day, a bit tired. But having just seen this review I now feel EPIC!!!!!

Thanks so much for your comments, I'm so happy to read them,and it's literally made me grin from ear to ear with pride :D

I'll go and tell all my guys too as they've all worked their socks off this weekend, and are all fairly knackered!

This has really makes my day :D

Thanks again so much,

home
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this place and will definitely be back!”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Visited here last night and had a lovely meal in nice surroundings. The place was busy with two functions going on and we had the last table in the bar area. It was comfortable and warm near the fire. Despite being very busy the staff were polite and attentive. I had the Thai crab cakes and my partner had the mushrooms in stilton. These were to die for! The beef stroganoff I had to follow was also incredible. The beef was cooked to perfection. I have visited many restaurants in the area since moving back to South Wales 4 years ago and have just found somewhere that offers lovely surroundings and fabulous food. We will most definitely be back and will highly recommend.

matt h, Owner at Carpenters Arms, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Hi There,

Smashing to see you've had an enjoyable evening :D I'm truly delighted you did. It's what my team and I strive for and it makes all the hard work and long hours worth it!

Thanks so much for sharing too.

Warmest regards,