“Best Restuarant in Torfaen” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Yew Tree
Ranked #8 of 50 Restaurants in Pontypool
Cuisines: Italian, European
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Newport, United Kingdom
“Best Restuarant in Torfaen”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

My husband, parents and myself just got back from a saturday evening at The Yew Tree. Having recently moved back to South Wales from London I was missing the quality restuarants there. However, after trying this place for the first time tonight I am so happy that I have finally found a restuarant back at home that serves quality food, beautifully presented at a reasonable price. It has such a cozy warm atmosphere. They've made an effort to make the interior very inviting. The food was plentiful, we struggled to finish our plates. However, there is always room for dessert in my book and I'm so glad we ordered it. I had the creme brulee and it was gorgeous. Served with a frizzali (sp?) fruit which was like an orange cherry tomato but tasted like an orange. The dessert was so yummy that my Dad and I wrote little messages "good" and "yum!" on our emptied dessert plates in the chocolate sauce. This amused the waitress and she said thank you for the comments! So they have a sense of humour, too.

We would particularly recomend the lamb with the red wine reduction, it was fabulous!!!

For four main courses and four desserts plus 6 drinks it came to just under £80. Not bad at all and worth every penny.

We would all definitely go there again in a heartbeat. Definitely the best food we have had in South East Wales, probably ever.

Thank you very much The Yew Tree. You rock!!

• Visited September 2012

Cardiff
“Used to be good!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We have visited this restaurant on many occasions over the past few years. When it first opened it was excellent however recently standards have gone down. The food used to be beautifully presented, hot and tasty. Not any more.

Our most recent visit our food was cold, service was slow and when we finished our main course we waited ages for our plates to be cleared (15 mins). We wanted to have a dessert however the waiter took ages to come to the table (over 20 mins) so we decided to ask for the bill.

The last two occasions have been like this so we wont be visiting again as there are much better restaurants in the area.

• Visited July 2012
Cannock, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Happy days”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Great food and a friendly atmosphere. Many thanks to reviewers, without your input would never have found this little gem. If you have chance, read of the disclaimer!

• Visited August 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The reason I am only giving it 2 is, we booked table for 8pm arrived 15mins early, this was my in laws wedding anniversary, they have been here a few times and never been disappointed. We were invited to sit at our table at 8.40pm, no apology, chef obviously could not cope. We have been to this restaurant before and it was excellent, food everything, could not fault it. Something has obviously changed, maybe they have changed the chef, not enough staff. I had lamb with a plum sauce, lamb was overcooked, it should have been a bit pink inside, overkill on the sauce which made it sickly, I normally would complain, but we waited so long to be seated, it would have taken about another 10mins etc before I had my replacement, and in that time everyone else would have finished. My mother in law felt the same. So I am afraid this has put us off coming back here, which is a shame.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Alison P
Pontypool, United Kingdom
“little gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

we have used this restaurant a number of times its one of the best around, sometimes just the two of us other times with friends, every time the service and food where excellent, there garlic bread is one of our favorites.

• Visited July 2012