“Hygiene, No soap in the toilets!!!!”

Harvester Pontypool
Ranked #21 of 51 Restaurants in Pontypool
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: It is next to a Premier Inn
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Visited the toilet when we arrived, but no soap in the Ladies or Gents toilet. We informed the waitress, who seemed to know, but offered to check to see if they had some in the kitchen. No luck there, but offered her personal sanitizer. Could not believe it. OK. I guess that means everybody who uses the salad bar has not washed their hands effectively in the toilet. So staff do not use soap either? Do the kitchen staff have their own soap they did not share or have they also run out? We are not ill this morning, lucky? Food was fine, had to wait for table. Seemed to be shortage of staff and took a long time for tables to be cleared after customers left.

1  Thank David162
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at Harvester Pontypool, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2014

We were sorry to see from your review that you were disappointed in your recent visit to us. Your feedback is always welcomed as our aim is to get it right, and we will learn from your comments. We have also replied to you personally on this matter.

There are newer reviews for Harvester Pontypool

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We went to the Harvester for my husband's birthday. All seemed good at first. Being Diabetic I ordered two diet coke cola's. We were brought two ordinary ones [sugar very high]. Had to complain and my drink was exchanged. We ordered the ribs & steak combo. When they arrived both meals were only luke warm. I again had to complain. Our meals were exchanged and this time they were hot and we both enjoyed them. They need to make sure they give customers what they ordered drink wise and also make sure meals are at an eatable temperature.

1  Thank Mragaret S

We are sorry that had disappointing visit to our Harvester Restaurant and we do appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Over the years we've used this Harvester many times and have always enjoyed our meal but after a gap of about 6 months we went back last Thursday, arriving about 6.30. We were surprised to find that we would have to wait but got a drink in the bar and were called through after about 40 minutes. We both wanted the 'signature ' fish and chips but were told that they had no cod so it was off the menu. The last time we were there we had the ordinary fish and chips and the fish in this wasn't very nice at all. And to think their fish and chips used to be our favourite! So we ordered sirloin steaks, medium, and when they came they were both well done. We ploughed our way through them after asking for French mustard and being told they were out of it, and when asked if our meal was ok, said not. We didn't want to wait for replacement steaks, not that they were offered, so ate our meal and asked for a discount. The pleasant waiter took almost 50% off the bill so that at least was something. However, we both said we will try the new Harvester in Newport next and are unlikely to return to the Pontypool one.

1  Thank ChristabelSouthWales
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at Harvester Pontypool, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We arrived mid-afternoon (3:15) on a Sunday after the lunchtime rush. Ordered two starters and two main courses after 20 minutes I enquired as to the where the food was. I was told that there was a half an hour delay (something that I wasn't told earlier. After 55 minutes I returned again to be asked what I had ordered and I mentioned the length of time I had been waiting, I mentioned that if the food wasn't with me within five minutes I would like a full refund. Within five minutes the main course arrived without any cutlery. I mentioned to the waitress that I had ordered starters and she said that she would go and get them, leaving the main courses on the table. I asked if she could take them away as we would like the starters first her reply was couldn't we eat the starters afterwards. With that I asked to speak to the manager who gave a full refund. In all fairness we were offered the food free of charge. There was no unpleasantness and the manager was very apologetic. We arrived when it was not busy, the shift change was taking place at about 4 o'clock but we had been there for nearly 40 minutes by then. I had been to this restaurant before and had better service. There were other people who had been waiting as long but just seemed to accept it. On hearing my complaint I noticed at least two other large parties turn around and walk out. Not a good advert for the chain and certainly not for what used to be a fairly reasonable place to eat.

1  Thank Brad H
Harvester R, Public Relations Manager at Harvester Pontypool, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your meal with us on our Trip Advisor page. We were disappointed to read that you were not satisfied in your visit to the Harvester Pontypool, and we have replied to you personally about this.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

I've eaten here many times in the past and once considered it the best Harvester in the area but a recent visit with my family changed that.

Upon arriving at the restaurant we were told to expect a 40 minute wait despite there being several tables free so we picked up some drinks and sat in the bar area. I appreciate the difficulties in serving so many customers at once but it would've made sense to make use of the tables outside, particularly as it was such a sunny day and the decor inside was fairly drab despite a supposedly recent redesign.

Eventually we sat down and ordered our meal which was delicious but waiting for approximately 50 minutes for it to arrive spoiled things, as did the flies and ants all over the windowsill next to where we were seated. Upon finishing our meal we waited for almost half an hour for our plates to be cleared before having to ask a waitress to serve us. Things had quietened down by this point so there was no excuse for such poor service.

Several of the desserts were off the menu by 2pm so we were left with very little choice. Again, they took a while to arrive and did so with very dirty cutlery. To make matters worse I had what appeared to be the remnants of someone else's main course on my plate.

I've no idea what's caused it but this restaurant has become very poor very quickly. It certainly won't be my first choice in the area from now on.

1  Thank Chris W

We are very sorry to hear that the meal you had at Harvester Pontypool was not as perfect as you would have liked. We want all our guests to be satisfied so we always welcome your feedback and we have replied to you personally about your review.