“Needs Must”

Ranked #19 of 52 Restaurants in Pontypool
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: It is next to a Premier Inn
Reviewed February 26, 2013

in all fairness we only use the Harvester in Pontypool on a very infrequent basis - usually when we are very hungry, it is rather late, we don't really want to dress up to go out eating & we don't have to travel far to grab some food! The food here is very basic with a menu that never truly appears to change - from year to year! The food we as a family would say is "ok" but nothing more! Maybe the salad bar is the best part of the meal! It's not overly expensive -------- but on the few occasions that we've been there in the last 2 years the waiting queues are always LONG!! Both in numbers & time! An average place to eat at best!!

Reviewed February 24, 2013

This Harvester is my "local". Based on the most recent meal there, I would have given it an "excellent" but I think "very good" is a fairer reflection of most visits. On my visit on Friday (22nd Feb) around 12:15, it was exceptional. It seemed quieter than normal and I was able to park easily. I was greeted and sat immediately - I asked if there was any chance of a table in a warm location (I was cold from a prior walk) and was sat on a table for 4 next to a radiator (there was 2 of us). Drink orders were taken and delivered with the refillable glass already containing a drink ( I do hate being given an empty glass to fill ). The waitress was happy to give us longer to order and returned later as requested. I had the signature fish and chips and Mum, the simply chicken. Bread rolls were warm. Salad was tidy with all items present. There were even plates for the bread rolls! The meals arrived just before I'd finished my salad. The fish was tasty and well cooked and the chips ok (I'm not a big chip fan and only ever find Harvester chips ok so this is as good as it gets). After the meal we asked for some time before deciding on dessert. I decided on the Eton Mess sundae but mentioned to the waitress that last time I'd eaten this desert there was no meringue and very little fruit in it - if this was the case today, could she let me know and I'd change the sundae as meringue is the attraction for this particular one. She returned to say she'd spoken to the chef and there was indeed meringue. Best dessert ever was served! Did think it was because I'd mentioned it but all the desserts coming past seemed to have generous amounts of "sauce" visible. I thoroughly enjoyed my meal on Friday. Harvesters in general suit us for "everyday" type meals out - relatively cheap and all members and ages can find something to eat. The Premier Inn next door and the Travelodge on the other side of the roundabout can make this Harvester very busy. If there is a wait then there is very little room to stand or sit to do so. The nature of the salad cart can mean it can get messy - most visits it's ok. I had taken to ordering the drinks at the bar on entry as I like Pepsi Max and 9/10 it wasn't working in the refill area (it was this time) which really adds to my irritation on being given the standard empty glass. There are many "plastic" pubs locally and two more Harvester's. Staff here are generally good and it's very rare not to have a complete salad bar that's clean. I tend to eat here lunchtimes (12 ish) and early evenings (between 5 and 7).

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Fast service,good food,warm and inviting,Fun waiter called John from Pontypool.Good value, plenty of parking.What more do you need?!!!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

What we enjoy about Harvesters is the fact you can help yourself to the salad as much, and as often as you dare too.Very relaxed atmosphere, and friendly staff. Always busy, be prepared to wait for tables, sometimes, but not too long a wait. For us desserts are a no no, too full from main meal..But they do look fantastic...

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We were seated straight away which was a first but we were lucky, five minutes later they were queuing through the bar. Waited nearly 20 minutes for our drink order to arrive, requested a highchair but was told there were none available as they were so busy. Waitress was very friendly and did her best even though she was rushed off her feet. Food was to standard. Waited ages for our bill. The whole atmosphere was so busy and stressed with people queuing everywhere we were relieved to leave. Would be a great place to eat if you were in a rush apart from the long wait for drinks and the bill. Standard typical chain.