“Bleak House, Bleaker owner!”

Plas-Y-Coed Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pontypool
Plas-Y-Coed Guest House
Ranked #3 of 3 Pontypool B&B and Inns
Romford, United Kingdom
“Bleak House, Bleaker owner!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014

Unfortunately we stayed here in October 2013. Started with a call from the owner on the day of my proposed arrival. Thought how lovely until having been told of my expected arrival time I was in formed, " That's good as I do have other things to do!". Upon arrival we sailed straight passed as the whole premises was in total darkness! When we did get in we were met with a very cold welcome. A miserable evening, cold and wet, not even the offer of a cup of tea. We were given our keys and given directions to our rooms. On entering the rooms my Mother and Sister found that they had no cups with the tea and coffee facillity. Back downstairs to find the place in relative darkness again. Rather than disturb Mein Host, I found a light on under a door which happened to be an industrial type kitchen. Finding 2 dirty mugs in the sink, I washed them and took them upstairs. The following morning my Sister and I didn't get an apology, just a roasting from Mein Host for going into her kitchen. The evening of our arrival we set out for Abertillery only to find that booking a cab was almost impossible as phone and internet access was nigh impossible. On our return home my Sister was unwell and I used the spare "Bedspread" which I took into their room and covered her over. The following day, upon our return I found I didn't have a cup this time and a hastily scribbled note on a scrap of paper admonishing me again for dirtying an extra set of linen! The note was both spelt badly and contained some awful grammar. Being considerably annoyed by this I gave my Sister my share and left her to settle up the bill. When she came out to the car she told me that she had been charged extra for the breakfasts despite my agreeing when booking that the price was for Bed and Breakfast. All in all a nice trip to help celebrate our Mother's Birthday was spoilt by a slip of fate as I couldn't find the telephone number for Mynnydd Lodge in Cwmtillery where the welcome is warm and you are treated like one of the family. This is where I recommend you go to stay if visiting the Gwent area. The downstairs reception room was being used as a storage area and the 2 rating is for the breakfast and the excellent bathroom. Very unimpressed.

Room Tip: Check out Mynnydd Lodge in Cwmtillery!!!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Mwill116

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Very comfortable and quiet. Excellent value for money. It deserves the full 4 stars which it has. Room was very comforable and clean. Loved the shower. Good quality food. Had a choice of continental or full Welsh breadfast. I will be re-visiting the Guest House. Joe was friendly but not too friendly. She was very helpful in giving me directions to the College. If you are using a SAP NAV, don't follow the directions near the Guest House as it will take you over a mountain with narrow lanes, but contact Jo for directions. I highly reccommend it. Kind regards Iris

Room Tip: I had a room in the front of the Guest House, it was very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank iris r
cumnock
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I recently stayed at this guest house for 5 days and I loved it, Joe was very friendly and helpful room was clean comfortable and tidy with nice en suite. The location of the guest house is perfect and nice and quiet, breakfast was very good and quickly served all in all this is a great place to stay and hopefully will be back there soon for another visit. Apart from me working there i feel this Guest house is suitably situated for alot of the welsh attractions near by.
So if I'm not back for work duties i will definitely be back for leisurely visit.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brussels, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

very nice location, the room was very nice, though a bit cold. The breakfast was good. Overall the guest house was very well done and a nice place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2011

very clean rooms great views of the valley if you go have the breakfast very well cooked and good quality landlady joe very informative about the history of the vallys and local areas and walks would stay again if in the area highly recommended you cant go wrong staying here great value for money

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank michael d
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2011

My brother and I stayed for two weeks and the landlady Joe was very friendly, the rooms were immaculate, the shower was the best I've had in a long time and the food was great too, 10 out of 10 highly recommended

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank Jimmy19742011
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

The Plas y Coed Guest House is set in a beautiful valley and has lovely views. Our family room was clean and modern with good facilities and comfortable beds. Breakfast was freshly cooked and very tasty. We were made to feel very welcome and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends