“Time for a overhaul”

Fieldways Hotel & Health Club
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Trowbridge
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We have been coming to this Hotel since 2005 ? hasnt change in all the years we have been coming BUT this year took the biscuit, there were 13 of us, they had lots money from us all and when we ask for a room to change because are treatments havent finish they ask a extra £10. please. The spa area was not that a nice flim over the hot pool. It is very dated I must say the only thing that kept us going there are the ladies are great the best ever. The NEW management should learn some thing off the Ladies what do the treaments and it would be brilliant. The showers could do with a good overhaul.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank osbornemollie
There are newer reviews for Fieldways Hotel & Health Club

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We have been coming here for years. Our trip last year was not good due to changes that were happening, but we put that down to teething problems, but this year was far worse. The changes are not working. I dont now how this place continues to keep running ... its like a modern version of Faulty Towers! Its an absolute shambles from the moment you walk thru the door until you leave. We saw the 'Manager' within the space of a few hours working in the Office/Reception/Kitchen and then do therapies - you may want to pat her on the back and say 'well done' but at the end of the day it shows lack of staff/organisation; spread yourself to thinly and its obvious every area is suffering. I actually feel sorry for the Therapists, these fantastic ladies have been here for years, and its lovely after all these years to see their familar faces and them to recognise us. We have never been able to fault the treatments or the professionalism of the therapists but this was the first time you could sense it was taking its toll on them also - they are obviously doing the best they can under bad circumstances, having to pick up the pieces from errors made from those above. Management (if you can call them that) do not seem to listen. A cold hotel, worst evening meal we have had there, burnt offerings for breakfast, total cock-ups on names/treatment times. The bar was so cold in eve that we retired to our rooms early, so they missed out on our money there! I understand everyone needs to make cutbacks, but cutbacks have to be made in the right places ... cant they see its just not working. We WONT be back (sorry therapists -
but a big thank you to all of you for all the happy memories you have given us over the years - good luck)!

Room Tip: Cant believe im saying this after all these years - AVOID!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Im A
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have stayed at this Hotel for an annual get together with friends for the past 12 years, which says that we really enjoy staying there. We have noticed a few differences over the years, particularly with the shake up of Management, resulting in a few hiccups here and there but nothing more than any other establishment with the same changes. Having read the other reviews I have to agree that there are updates which desperately need attention, in particular the hotel bathrooms and the spa area and hope that the increase in prices will reflect in these changes. I have to admit that it was cold when I stayed there at the end of January but come on, it's the middle of winter and with the package prices being held low for many years i'm sure plenty would moan if the prices were put up for the extra heating. I just packed an extra layer to allow for the cold and if I was really bothered then I would book to go in the summer months.
Overall the place has a lovely atmosphere which has a lot of character and the staff are very welcoming, with good food available also. The therapists have years of experience and do a fantastic job of providing relaxing treatments.
I will continue visiting Fieldways and always recommend it to friends new and old as it's value for money as well as a lovely place to stay and couldn't imagine not being able to go there.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 - 9 are in the older part of the house, big in size but plumbing not great but lots of chara...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank MrsMcJones
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Went to the "spa" on 30th January for my birthday...
We booked the time out package for 5 people...

When we arrived at 9.30 we were given coffee in a room and then showed to the spa...

Basically, we were frozen cold from the time we arrived until the time we left. The pool was so cold swimming was unpleasant, Jacuzzi was lovely though.

The lounge area (conservatory) was freezingggggg.... We then noticed the patio doors were propped open. One member of our group shut them and turned all radiators on.... for 10 minutes later staff to turn them off and put the door back open?!?! Crazy!

Our two treatments were lovely... but again we had to sit in the beauty area waiting room most the day as it was warmest...

The light buffet lunch consisted of a jacket potato with 2 toppings... not really a buffet as such! 2 of our group could not finished their lunch as their treatment timetable clashed with lunch.... when I went to see if we could bring lunch forward an hour as we had no treatments... I was told no! only to find out we were the only 5 people there.... however the beauty therapist phoned the kitchen and made them bring down coffee and mints to subsidise what they missed.

We were told that owner/management are now solely running the place after sacking the hotel manager... My mum has been 3 or 4 times previously and had a fantastic experience so it just shows that the new arrangments are not working...

We will not return again and the 65 pound price tag is no way justified.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank prettyangel359
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Where to even start with this shocker of a ''spa''

In a nutshell it's a hotel with a dingy old pool and moudly hot tub.

First arrived for lunch and was shown into a room no warmer than my freezer. Lunch consisted of baked potatos and numerous fillings which was nice enough. No complaints there however eating with a coat and scarf as it was so coldo wasn't the best experience. 2 requests later the staff member put the fire on.

Shown to room which was a bit hit and miss. Lovely new shower however the 99p mirror really let it down. No bathrobe which for a spa is unusual. I suppose walking in and seeing everyone wearing their own dressing gowns and 'onsies' should have given me a clue.

The package I booked included 3 treatments. I had a back massage, Indian head massage and a facial.
The therapists were lovely BUT the waiting room was another story.
I felt like I'd stepped back into a 1980's living room with a cracked old leather sofa and an empty display cabinet. It was also bitterly cold in there to the point I needed a blanket.
One of my treatments was booked for the following day (I'd paid extra for a pedicure) arrived for the treatment to find the therapist had forgot about me and gone home. Lovely

Next was the swimming pool and hot tub. I thought the faded green plastic chairs were a nice touch but it was the yellow hazard tape around the stairs into the hot tub that really wowed me.
The mouldy grout, chipped tiles and yellow scum floating in the water was a bit off putting so I decided not to venture any further in fear of my health.

All in all it was the absolute worst hotel I've ever set foot in and to have the pleasure of paying £160 was just insulting.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank viv4romessex
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have taken a large party here for 9 years some of us staying for 2 nights and some for1 night and have always been so pleased we rebook as,we leave
This year however we did not!
Obvious staff changes have meant unprofessionalism and an inability to please their guests with much inconsistency between meals depending on the days
The cleanliness of the rooms and standard of the treatments however were superb
It is a great shame to think we will not be attending for the 10th year but experienced staff are too worryingly missing

Room Tip: All rooms to a good standard shame about the staff!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Julie B
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I have been going to Fieldways for 12 years for a variety of treatments but I will never set foot in there again. My friend and I decided to have a day pamper package. We spent the morning in the conservatory chatting and noticed it got decidely colder as the morning went on only to find out later that the heating was playing up. We had a light lunch - no choice of what lunch other than the fillings on our jacket potato. Our afternoon treatments were superb as they have always been. The problems came when we went to pay our bill. I had paid my bill two weeks previously with gift vouchers I had received but could not make the receptionist understand this - I tried several times to explain to three different people. Luckily, I had asked for a receipt when I paid so could produce this. What should have been a lovely day was totally spoiled by the incompetance of the receptionist and the owners wife. I left the hotel feeling totally deflated and not relaxed at all. I was told the manager would ring me - she did not. I went back the following day to get the rest of my vouchers reimbursed and was told again that the manager would ring me...... I am still waiting.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Angela L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trowbridge
Widbrook Grange
Shaw Country House Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
Combe Grove Hotel
#21 of 31 in Bath

Been to Fieldways Hotel & Health Club? Share your experiences!