“Great potential, but a real let down!”
Review of The Moonraker

and 1 more site!
The Moonraker
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Trowbridge
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed here as we had an event in the local area, so were luckily only in the hotel for a really sort space of time. The building is stunning and the location good, but unfortunately the decor is extremely tired and dated. We booked the hotel using a voucher,but had we paid the nightly asking price would have been extremely disappointed. We love character properties; so could put up with the creaking floor boards and poor sound insulation (things others had complained about), but the things we found unacceptable were a dirty mouldy bathroom, pealing paint, cold shower and lino flooring in the bathroom. The interior design in the bedroom wasn't exactly to my taste, but that is just a personal thing. On the plus side the staff were efficient and helpful.

I believe with very little money and effort this hotel could be stunning, in which case I would return time and time again, as it stands however I really found this place very overpriced for the standard of accommodation. I have honestly stayed in hostels which were better, which I find a real shame! Please do something about this "Old Manor Hotel", as you are really letting yourselves down!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alice W
OwnerOldManor, Owner at The Moonraker, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us on your recent visit.

I bought the old manor on 23rd July 2013.

I have spent the last 19 years in Hotel both in 5* London hotel and more recently running a boutique hotel on the south coast which I sold back in June.

I take your comment on board and would respond by saying:

1. Room’s refurb is happening as we speak (3 rooms already done in 6 weeks). Most of the rooms are actually in good order…phew!
2. Deep cleaning has been going on behind the scenes for the past 6 weeks, I will have this done by mid-September, I am sorry you stayed before this got done!
3. I have made sure that the room rates are competitive for the area. Starting from £95 B&B
Already we have had a massive vote on confidence from our regulars and I have so many plans for this hotel over the next 6 months which will make a major difference to the experience of our guests.
I hope you will come back; I am putting this hotel back on the map and will not stop until it is every bit successful as all of the other hotels I have run.

Kind regards,

Tudor Hopkins

Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Nicely situated to break a journey from North Midlands to SW England. Peaceful rural location, easy access to Bradford-on-avon by bus or car to eat. Delightful surroundings to stay at. New owners have started updating the interior decor. We had an evening meal out at Bradford on Avon rather than at the hotel. Good value booking through laterooms. Would like to see more locally produced food eg Wiltshire bacon & local sausage, and more cooked vegetarian options on breakfast menu. The staff serving breakfast were very good. Would go back.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jon61049
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My family and I visited this place and were not quite sure what to expect. We loved the place. We were in one of the Luxury Rooms and they are very spacious. The old buildings on the outside should not fool you into thinking the inside is old and rusty. The rooms have such character in their old special way. Stacey the receptionist was also very helpful throughout our two night stay.

Room Tip: I only tried the luxury rooms. Upgrade costs depend on the initial room you had booked but could be...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JoshKimani
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Booked quite last minute so it was a bit cheaper. I think if we had paid more I would have felt more cheated.

Took our baby for the first time in a hotel. Room opposite the restaurant so good to be close and the baby monitor worked.

Room was ok size for the UK and perfectly clean. The staff were very friendly and cheerful.

Furniture was tired and they need new carpets.

Restaurant is not very good. Really let them down. We had pasta and it was an overcooked soggy, slimy mess. I can cook better pasta. Much better pasta. Given the prices they charge (£12 for a main) it is pretty shoddy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lainey1812
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed on a Living Social deal, in one of the ‘luxury’ rooms which are in a separate building of four rooms behind the main hotel. Given the money we paid on the deal, I think it was good value; otherwise I might have been disappointed with the ‘luxury’ classification. The room was a very good size, the bed extremely comfortable, but it was a little bit tired in places – for example, stained carpet and chairs in seating area, very old shower and shower curtain. However, the furniture is lovely and the room very comfortable overall. I think it just needs a bit of tlc – a new carpet and shower cubicle would make a world of difference. The view to the field out of the back of the room was lovely. We also got a bottle of bubbly in the room which wasn’t included in our deal. We ate in the restaurant both nights; we didn’t intend to, but the food was so good the first night, and the wine list excellent, that we didn’t think twice. This is a real strength for the place, and whilst the restaurant dining area is charming, again it could just do with some tlc to smarten it up. Breakfast was also fantastic. All the staff we encountered were very pleasant, and the owner is extremely helpful on local information. It’s a good location to explore Bradford upon Avon (which is gorgeous!), and Bath. We did both over a weekend.
We probably won’t stay again, but we had a pleasant and enjoyable time. If they make the most of the potential there, then maybe. But it has got a unique and quirky charm it shouldn’t shake!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FoodWineHols
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed two nights in very hot weather good bedroom plenty of room outlook onto the meadow. The place is very tired windows locks unable to be opened the fridge not working we were told that the fridge was not promoted. Generally comfortable staff friendly. Pity about the bacon in a county like Wiltshire famed for its bacon pity they serve stuff with white water oozing out. I understand the place is to be sold. With money spent on doing it up it could wonderful.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Myself and my partner were given a voucher for a weekend at this hotel as a gift for a birthday. It was a two night stay with a spa treatment each and breakfast.

When we arrived we were given a room above reception. We sat on the bed whilst we heard the full conversation down stairs, we knew we wouldn't sleep. We asked if we could be moved, reception did move us kindly to a room that wasn't in the manor but outside the main Part. opposite the restaurant. It was much better but very old fashioned. Which did go with the manor and the vintage items around. The room looked comfortable... That was all. The bedding was clean but under the cabinets there was a lot of dust where it had not been moved to clean under it. This room did have a small tv. The bathroom was nice but the bath panel was rotten along one side needed some tlc.

Reception had kindly given us a bottle of prosecco for the trouble with the first room, which was a lovely gesture and very much appreciated.

So looking forward to our relaxing weekend we started by having our spa treatment, a massage in one of the other rooms where a beautician pops up a massage table. The annoying thing was is that this room where she did our massage was lovely!! Much more comfortable and really cosy,bathroom was modern and we would of loved to of stayed there. The massage was lovely, but you couldn't book any other treatments there and that was it. She was a lovely lady and had no faults with her or her massage.

Me and my partner went into Bradford on Avon for dinner, as had the rest of the day. We were under the impression that this was a spa weekend, from the treatment advertised with the offer but wish we had done more research beforehand as we would of changed this.

When we came back we tried to get comfortable in the room and have a relaxing night, but this just wasn't us and we really wouldn't of slept well there, so we decided to leave the same day we arrived. We did have our massage and we did take the prosecco given to us. but didn't ask for refund or even part refund of the whole weekend which cost £160! maybe we should of. We did go to reception to check out, the man looked surprised but didn't try and convince us otherwise.

Unfortunately this just wasn't for us, and not what we expected. Reading previous reviews and the managers replies, I am not looking forward to his response, as seems to take criticism badly. But like I said everything in this review is true and just my opinion and again it just wasn't for us. Someone who gets a fab room (like the massage room, which was a bedroom) would of probably had a great experience there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not in the main manor, not opposite the restaurant but where the car park is, opposit...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hayleymilano_13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trowbridge
Premier Inn Trowbridge Hotel
Fieldways Hotel & Health Club
Bishopstrow House
Bishopstrow House
#1 of 3 in Warminster

Been to The Moonraker? Share your experiences!