“The Old Manor Hotel Bradford On Avon”
Review of The Moonraker

The Moonraker
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Trowbridge
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have just had a night at the Old Manor Hotel and it was great the staff were very helpful and the food excellent.
The room was very clean and the bed so comfortable.
I recommend this for a trip to Bath I was on business but I will be going there again for a long weekend with my wife.
Plus the staff are so helpful and friendly.

John Styles Faversham Kent.

Room Tip: Ask for room 47 .
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank JOHNSTYLES
There are newer reviews for The Moonraker

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were delighted to escape life for a couple of nights staying at the Old Manor Hotel... the place was clean, bedroom spacious, with all the items you would wish in a room - but it did not exude luxury.

The bed being so comfortable and the sheets excellent quality did make a huge difference, however a plastic sink in the bathroom, the fridge which didn't chill, no wifi in our room etc. meant that the stay wasn't a smooth as possible. The staff compensated for such shortfalls by dealing with our enquiries speedily with a smile - hats off to them.

Having bought through a voucher scheme, we believe it was good value for money - if we had paid rack rate I wouldn't be at all satisfied as there are much more luxurious places to stay at similar cost.

We checked in and were 'welcomed' by the owner - who showed us the room, and pointed the direction of the bar and restaurant explaning breakfast times for the morning. We felt as if we were putting him out during this time - not the best way to explore the hotel for the first time.

The location is great for the whole surrounding area, but being about 30 minutes drive from Bath I wouldn't necessarily stay at the Old Manor as a base for the city. The hotel is more on the border of Trowbridge than Bradford on Avon, but the surrounding fields and countryside is gorgeous along with outstanding views - you couldn't ask for more!

We hadn't planned to eat in, however didn't feel compelled to do so at any stage - the mismatched furniture in the restaurant and the lack of separation between the conservatory and dining area didn't exude charm or warmth - a sense of 'nothing special' - we did enjoy a drink in the evening there.

On the second morning breakfast seemed far busier than our first, and the staff less able to cope. The waiting staff need a little supervision and overseeing to allow the operation to run more smoothly.

The buffet breakfast didn't appeal to me, however that said the cooked breakfasts were delicious - the sausages to die for, eggs cooked to liking and the homemade preserves delicious!

When checking out we had a far more interesting conversation with the owner who made us feel welcomed and interested for the first time... just a little too late.

Room Tip: Rooms 47 - 50 are spacious and back onto the fields so less noise from passing traffic... The four-p...
2  Thank azejo
rapidoBradfordonAvon, Owner at The Moonraker, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

I think you liked the Old Manor, although not completely sure. You spotted the fact that we are not luxury. We are an honest 3 star hotel, not pretentious.
We have no plastic sinks. The mini bars are dreadful things.We have removed them from most rooms. The wi-fi probably just needed a re-boot.Shame you didn't say.
My staff are truly amazing, as you noted.
Not sure who welcomed you, my general manager or myself. We try very hard to engage with guests, so , we both apologise if you felt unwelcome but glad we redeemed ourselves on your departure.
Not sure how I can mismatch the furniture as I bought 75 matching chairs which came from a Paris bistro and the 20 dining tables are all the same!
I hate continental/buffet breakfasts. Maybe I should just not do it. Unfortunately the AA like it!
We should just stick to our fab English breakfast! Everyone loves it!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This place left us with some mixed feelings. Externally a place of great charm with the warm stone building raising expectations which were suddenly dashed by fusty interiors and decor which left much to be desired.
First the good things: Great mattress and wonderful sheets with a high thread count: great free wi fi and wonderful home made jams at breakfast. The staff were very willing and helpful. and it was deliciously quiet.
Not so good were the awful carpets, especially the one in the bathroom. The plumbing was primitive with a drizzle of tepid water for a shower. The curtains on the two poster beds were a dust trap and the decor was tired and faded.
The furniture in the dining room had seen beter times and my particular chair was an accident waiting to happen.
So, smarten the palce up and focus on where in the market you want to be.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mottyandfluff

Everyone loves the beds and linen. The home made jams and wonderful English breakfasts. And don't forget the great staff. Don't like repeating myself but the 75 matching chairs came from a Paris bistro, I love them. Sure , some are a bit wobbly but they are fabulous, full of character.
Everything is freshly decorated.
We are a bit shabby chic, so beware. If you like a nice Premier Inn, theres loads of them around.
I do know where I want to be , and , I, have arrived.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

My Husband and I stayed at the hotel 18th and 19th April. When we arrived there was plenty of parking spaces. We went to reception to book in and were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who also showed us to our room and explained about breakfast times etc. After she left I thought I have stayed in better places, but as our time there was a couple of days, as we explored the hotel it was all so well put together, it says The Old Manor Hotel and it is, by the time we left we grew to really like the place for what it was. It was very clean and maid service daily. The restaurant was excellent, the food amazing, and I thought a good price for what we had including a free bottle of wine. The breakfasts were lovely, fast, good choice and nothing was to much for the waitresses. The staff were excellent in all area's the hotel comfortable (bed a bit hard) but on the whole was a lovely stay.

Room Tip: We were in room 6 which was adequate bed a bit hard.
5  Thank Ann H
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is far from your usual clinical, stereotype hotel and is full of old, fascinating things. The rooms are clean, comfortable and interesting - the food excellent and the staff friendly. Beware the owner is eccentric but perfectly charming! We would be pleased to return and explore the beautiful area further.
Carol and Lindsay Edwards

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Carol E
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed here for two nights bed & breakfast starting on the 26th of March 2013 which we booked through wowcher excellent deal for £129 with a free bottle of wine when ordering a 2 course dinner plus a free bottle of prosecco sparkling wine when we arrived. The room was more than adequate with a six foot wide bed and all the necessary tea and coffee making facilities you could ask for. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lodges across from the main building number 50 it was really nice and decorated in...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank vicalan
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed 7th to 9th April had a lovely stay. Room excellent food first class.will use again.
Can't fault it staff friendly. Nice little bar. Nice size room. Very good price.
Ronnie Baker from Eastbourne

Room Tip: Room eight
4  Thank RonnieB229
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trowbridge
Widbrook Grange
#2 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon
Best Western Leigh Park Hotel
Best Western Leigh Park Hotel
#3 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to The Moonraker? Share your experiences!