The Moonraker
$107
$89
Premier Inn Trowbridge Hotel(Trowbridge)(Great Value!)
$65
Travelodge
$105
Widbrook Grange(Bradford-on-Avon)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,068 results
All reviewsbradford on avoncourse tasting menusmoked salmonmanor housetreacle tartfour poster bedmilking parlourlounge areasuperior roommain buildinglovely hotelneals yardcomfortable bedfull englishwine listlovely roomenjoyable stay
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I stayed in an anexed building. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was clean and of high quality. That is where my good review ends. Carpets were dirty, cold water was warm, hot water was like lava. The shower was very poor, no markings, very low pressure and temp varied greatly.

Breakfasts were good but evening meals were poor. Steak was very over cooked and sauces tasted like they came from a jar / packet.

Most of the staff were very good and friendly.

At this price I expect a lot more.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Mbusiness2012
rapidoBradfordonAvon, Owner at The Moonraker, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Ok, here goes. Your review is largely unfair. I agree, my staff are great, so are most other things:
1. Our carpets are vacuumed every time we service a room.
2. I’ve never had a complaint that water is too hot. If the cold supply runs warm, it just needs to run for a minute and it goes cold. Or call reception. Simple.
3. The showers are sometimes sensitive, like your good self.
4. I was always taught that if you make a mistake you should have the opportunity to correct it. You chose not to give us that opportunity with your steak. We would have gladly cooked another one. I do not recall an uneaten steak returning to the kitchen. I have yet to meet a chef who gets it right every time. I am sorry if he did overcook it.
5. Our sauces are home made. We do buy in Heinz Tomato Sauce, Hellmans Mayonnaise etc, as does the Claridges(probably).

Reviewed January 3, 2013

If I had simply come across this Hotel on my journey, it is likely I wouldnt have even gone up to the reception. The approach to it from the not so attractive side of Trowbridge, particularly in heaving rain and darkness didnt fill me with anticipation. I had booked online only a few hours earlier and the Hotel looked very impressive on the website, added to my having got a half price bargain. Im not so sure I would have stayed if as a single person, I had to pay the original price quoted to me. The pot-holed driveway and slightly scruffy approach doesnt do this place justice. If I were attending a wedding reception there in glad rags, I would be very umimpressed at the dips in the ground approaching reception that were extensive puddles.

The layout of the Hotel is rather higgledy piggledy but thats because it was formerly various animal barns that have been converted. The main house is very elegant looking with a French manor house look to it. The dining room is lovely, converted with a beautiful big fireplace and pleasant comfortable tables and chairs, with a lounge area at one end. There is a lovely quirky bar area.
My room was a double with en suite bathroom, small by standards of others I have stayed in but very perfectly formed with beautiful linen and thick fluffy white towels, old style pine furniture and dated but clean avocado bathroom suite. The bath wall could do with a paint though.
I ate in the restaurant and though arriving a couple of minutes after they had finished taking orders, the manager, Chris ensured I got a meal with no hassle. The food was presented well, tender turkey but could have been hotter. Breakfast was disappointing. The full English that were being served looked good but I overheard comments about the mushrooms and one couple hardly ate any of their full English. Id chosen scrambled egg with mushrooms with wholemeal toast. The little girl serving got my toast order confused with the next table so I ask for mine to be corrected. When it was returned to me, there seemed to be much less scrambled egg and it was tinged grey at the edges, perhaps slightly burnt in the pan. The mushrooms, four small ones, were sadly apparently boiled rather than fried, very watery and tough. Very disappointing. I assume the male voice in the kitchen was the chef, there seemed to be a bit of messing about of the staff in the kitchen from the sound of his voice. Not conducive to guests quiet enjoyment of their breakfast. My toast when it was returned however was perfect!

The manager, Chris was old fashioned charming and nothing was too much trouble for him. I really wanted to be totally happy with my visit and my only complaint is that the food could have been better. I think the place is due to undergo some changes and I hope they continue in the direction they have started. It has a lot going for it.

Room Tip: I had a double room very close to the dining room which was pretty private and not a problem to be near the dining room. I didnt get to see what any other rooms were like.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Gail T
rapidoBradfordonAvon, Owner at The Moonraker, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Arriving in Noah style weather via Trowbridge will impress no-one. Especially as most of the drive has been washed away by the amazing amount of rain, leaving it rather worse for wear. It’s about to be repaired.
We do have a single occupancy rate for our double rooms, so please ask.
We normally receive only compliments on our food but note your concerns. The mushrooms are cooked in a pan with a mixture of water, oil and butter.
I do try to make the hotel a happy place to work, but maybe , on the occasion of your visit the kitchen was a little too happy. I have spoken to chef.
Chris, the General Manager , is a proper old-fashioned hotel professional.
Tim Burnham, Proprietor.
PS. A very clever hotelier once told me that the best, constructive criticism comes from seasoned travelers. As you can see Gail T has posted 76! I take the comments on the chin and thank you for the 4 out of 5

Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I have just spent a few days over the New Year at this hotel
and would like to say what a fabulous place to stay.
We were greeted and made to feel very welcome from the start. Our room was really nice, spotlessly clean and really warm and comfortable.
All the staff were very friendly. The food was delicious, plenty of choice and very well presented. I would definitely recommend anyone looking for a place to stay in this area to take a look, it definitely 'ticks all the boxes'.
We hope to return soon.
Thankyou.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Linda C
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed in the Old Manor hotel in December during the Christmas market period in Bath, using a voucher deal. It is a great base from which to visit Bath without being in the busy city centre. The bus runs regularly into Bath from just outside the hotel and is a beautiful journey through a number of small villages before you reach the lovely city of Bath. The staff at the hotel were welcoming, friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was lovely, freshly cooked to order and made using the best local produce. We would thoroughly recommend this hotel as a base for Bath but also other local villages including, the very near, Bradford Upon Avon.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 9 which was lovely
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Thaimal
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at the hotel to celebrate our anniversary in the Honeymoon Suite After reading the great reviews we were disappointed with the room. It was tired and cramped although the bed was massive. The split level maybe quirky but...
Breakfast was good. But not our kind of place but that might say more about s than the hotel .

Stayed: November 2012

Dear Bozzer,
I do think it was rather gracious of you to say it was not your kind of hotel. Guests who do not care for a particular hotel usually just slag it off. You clearly did not appreciate the effort that goes into our quirky, slightly shabby chic look but chose not condemn us.
I thank you for that..