“Wonderful hospitality”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Trowbridge
Marietta, Georgia
“Wonderful hospitality”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My original plan was to arrive in the morning, but flight delays caused me to arrive at 1:30 a.m. They greeted me warmly, simply gave me a key and told me all other checking-in could be done later. Felt just like being at our friends house.

My need was simply a place to sleep as my friend I was visiting lived nearby. This hotel fit the bill beautifully. The room was large enough for myself and my very tall friend, including the bath which was modern and roomy. It was clean and cozy, had a tea pot in the room, large stand up mirror, and they lent me a blow dryer so I didn't have to bring my own.

The breakfasts were yummy, Liam cooks up a mean omelet.

My ONLY negative was climbing to the 3rd floor. From the breakfast area, it's 48 steps to my floor. With bags, it can be daunting for some. Without bags, a needed exercise.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, for the money, it is a great value.

Room Tip: If you don't mind the climb, the third floor has a great breeze at night. Any walking problems a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Nice hotel in old Georgian building. The owners are currently renovating the rooms to make them look modern but in keeping with the building's age. We stayed in a group and some of the rooms were a little small, but they were all cosy and comfortable.

Hotel convenient and cheaper than staying in Bath city centre (but you do need to bear in mind the £6-7 return train ticket). It has onsite parking.

The breakfast was lovely and the staff couldn't do enough for us. I'd definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Room size varies, so ask when booking. Rooms on one side have a view of one of the Wiltshire chalk...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2012

an odd type of hotel, run by Natasha and Liam, a very nice young couple, they are open and inviting and very friendly, ably supported by Margeret, Natasha's mum, who is an absolute dear.
the rooms are comfortable if a little on the small side but then that is the modern way, at least the bathroom wasn't tiny.
There is a restaurant downstairs but I only ate there once as the chef went on holiday the 2nd day after I arrived which is a shame because the meal I had on the first night was superb.
Breakfast is a bit basic and the chambermaid was useless, she even forgot to do my room one day but apparently she is a temp, I certainly hope so.
Altogether a very pleasant stay and I would definately go back again if I was in Trowbridge.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Stayed at this hotel the past weekend as a getaway from London. The hotel is in close proximity to Bath (about 30 minute drive), and doesn't require a two-night stay, unlike many of the hotels in Bath, Rooms were very large and spacious- would not find that size of a room for the price in London! The only negative aspect was the location- not many restaurants around Trowbridge for dinner, so a car is necessary to get around. Also, there is a pub across the road, which was quite noisy at a certain time at night, however, the noise did not last for long, and is bearable. Perfect weekend complimented by an amazing hotel- would definitely recommend!

Room Tip: Room 8 was very large!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton UK
Reviewed March 25, 2012

Just wanted to thank everyone at The Polebarn Hotel for a lovely three night stay. We had a very nice room, friendly, caring staff and excellent food. Great value for money

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RogerBrightonuk
Reviewed February 22, 2012

What can I say about the Polebarn hotel that hasn't been said before. Well I would agree with some of the reviews that said it was a lovely period house and that it is owned by a nice young family trying to make their a success of their hotel in a very competitive marketplace. I have to say though that the overall look and feel of the place suggests there is still a lot of work required to make this hotel a joy to stay in. It has potential but unfortunately it is not making the best of its assets and could be so much more than what it provides at present.
The room I stayed in was just about OK for a night but if I was booked for more than one night my second would be in a different hotel. My main issues were an uncomfortable bed, noise through walls and a general lack of space in the room. I showed my wife the room through Skype and she had a good laugh at the hotel my office had picked for me. Not my usual accommodation (gym and/or pool normaly essential).
Repeat business and word of mouth bookings is essential for hotels like this and i do hope that they get more good reviews than bad. It makes a nice change to have a period house hotel run by a family intent on providing a more unique experience than the local travel lodge. Just maybe too unique an experience for me. Oh and by the way if you do stay at the Polebarn try and get a room that you can't hear your neighbor snoring. I always think that helps.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Gatesy56
Polebarn, Manager at The Polebarn, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Gatesy56
I wholeheartedly apologise. It’s quite unacceptable to hear your snoring neighbour when you are trying to sleep yourself. It’s not been mentioned to me before and I suggest that your neighbour might have been quite an exceptionally heavy sleeper but it’s certainly something that will have to be looked into and addressed perhaps with better soundproofing between those two single rooms.
Unfortunately for you, when your office phoned and were offered the choice of a double or a single room, they chose the cheaper option, which was the single room. It’s becoming more unusual to find single rooms these days especially in purpose built hotels where a double room is the basic model (single room meaning – single bed). In an old building like ours, we have made the rooms work to their best potential and although the room you were in is far too small for a double bed (one would fit but at a real push) we decided that we can create a better single room which we can sell at a cheaper rate. We have many customers, corporate and leisure, who are looking to spend less and are quite happy to stay in a single bedded room in a hotel without the costly luxuries of a pool, gym etc. They are not facilities that we have here and don’t claim to. I do feel that your office probably should have checked these things out first and then checked with you if that’s the sort of thing you are used to. I appreciate that our hotel was not to your taste.
You say that you found the bed uncomfortable, my apologies. The bed and furnishings are all new and we have since replaced all of our single mattresses - our double mattresses have been replaced already. We get our good quality mattresses direct from Airsprung who make them here in Trowbridge.
I would like to thank you for your other comments and your very fair and honest review. I know that you are an overseas traveller but I would still like to invite you back if you are in Trowbridge again and let you stay in one of our refurbished double rooms which I am sure you would enjoy a whole lot more - please contact me if you would like to arrange this.
Nantwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2012

From the car park at the back round the side and to the front door I thought, Oh no, what have we come too. But once the door opened. Wow, what an impressive entrance hall and staircase. Keep your anywhere,anytown hotels this is an amazing Grade ll listed building with a fascinating history.

We had booked a double and a single but on seeing one of our party had slight mobility problems, our host offered the ground floor room at no extra cost. Really kind gesture as we had discussed 'the steps and stairs' over the phone when booking.

Two of the party are vegetarian. The evening menu showed no dishes suitable for us but when our host heard about the problem, she rang the chef who offered several dishes he would cook for us. Again very helpful.

Rooms lovely, clean and dispite being right in town, quiet. We hope to return in a few months time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trowbridge
The Moonraker
Shaw Country House Hotel
Swan Hotel
Swan Hotel
#5 of 7 in Bradford-on-Avon

Been to The Polebarn? Share your experiences!