“Oh dear......”

Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Marazion
Nelson, New Zealand
“Oh dear......”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My dad used to make Cornish pasties and I was expecting something like his: full of delicious vegetables, chopped tasty meat, great flavour. Philps had been recommended by our tour guide so we were full of anticipation. From memory we chose the standard steak pasties, but regardless all three of us were bitterly disappointed I'm sorry to say: the filling was very, very salty which overcame any flavour the vegetables and meat may have had, though I doubt it was pleasant. The one positive was the pastry which was light and tasted fine. Two of us could only eat half a pasty, my husband ate all of his because he was hungry but says he wouldn't bother with another one. It was a pleasure to get back to New Zealand and a good old steak and cheese pie - fans of Cornish pasties need to try them if they want a tasty feast, don't bother with Philps pasties. It takes alot for me to give a negative review but please Philps, lift your game (and a bit more enthusiasm from the staff wouldn't go amiss either).

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank AliNel01

Desborough, United Kingdom
“Great Pasties, particularly the Cheese and Veg!”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Whenever I visit my Aunt in Penzance I am on the look out for the best Pasty. Philps' are very good and you shouldn't be disappointed, but I'm sure someone somewhere must make a better one.
The hunt goes on!

• Visited October 2013
“Yum yum yum”
Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Never been to philps in marizion but have had pasties and cream teas from the main factory shop in hayle and all I can say is OMG their the best won't eat any other pasty

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good pasties, poor service”
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Buy pasties from here on a regular basis, they are usually well cooked and tasty and I would recommend eating a pasty from here if you are in Marazion.
Service is always disappointing, staff are miserable and quite unhelpful which does impact on the experience!!

• Visited September 2013
UK
“Good pasties marred by laziness and indifferent service”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

We have been to Marazion loads of times and have bought lots of pasties at Philps. Service has always been indifferent but this time the quality of the standard traditional pasty warranted comment - it's clear that there is some laziness creeping into the manufacturing process. The meat, which is of good quality, was lumped together in one unappealing mass in the middle of the pasty, rather than being equally distributed and it suggests that whoever is making this is failing to take the trouble to adequately mix the ingredients before sealing and baking. Philps traditional pasty was the worst we had for this while in Cornwall. More care is needed as the other pasties (cheese and vegetables) are delicious. The staff could also smile a bit and be a little more welcoming to customers.

• Visited September 2013