“Do not judge a hotel from its outside appearance!”

Mount Haven Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Marazion
Southport, United Kingdom
“Do not judge a hotel from its outside appearance!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

It would be very easy to disregard this hotel from its outside appearance, because the exterior is nothing special to look at, particularly from the roadside.
But if you did you would be making a very big mistake. Once inside the surroundings, views and setting are second to none.
The staff are all very pleasant, the hotel interior and rooms are spotlessly clean and the food is excellent.
If you are looking to stay in a hotel in this area you’ll not find a better one.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Dave W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Cornwall
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Having visited Mount Haven for coffee on a couple of occasions, I have always wanted to stay and last week I was lucky enough to do so for two nights. I needed to 'recharge my batteries' and took the plunge to go on my own! (Quite a feat if you knew me!) I need not have worried! The lady on reception was most welcoming and showed me to my room. The room was light and airy, beautifully decorated, very comfortable with a generous selection of refreshments. After 'settling-in' the same lady took me through for coffee and I was made very welcome by Mike and his colleague; who upon learning that I might want to go walking, said they could recommend some local walks to me. I had dinner in the restaurant on both evenings and the first evening I had a table in the window. The staff were very attentive, friendly and helpful. At no point did I feel conspicuous or uncomfortable. In fact, the first morning when I went for breakfast I had a choice of tables and the gentleman from behind the bar the previous afternoon very kindly brought me a newspaper which was very thoughtful. My bed was extremely comfortable and cosy and I slept very well. My shower was excellent and the toiletries plentiful. Whilst I had no instructions with my tv, (which would not have helped because I can't follow them!), I fiddled around with the remotes and resorted to the good old 'switch off and on again' technique which worked like a charm. (I know I could have easily asked reception for help but it was a bit of a personal challenge!) Even so, I didn't watch tv after that as I was either reading, resting or out and about. I always felt at ease at Mount Haven, even though I was on my own and have already recommended it to a friend who said she would like some time-out on her own. What else can I say that has not already been said in the other reports? Mike and Orange are not like other business people I know. Yes they are in business, but their 'business' is that you have the type of holiday experience you want and it definitely shows. Mount Haven is a very special place and I can't wait for the chance to return. Thank you! It was a real tonic!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Scotland
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here recently for two nights. As a single occupancy I had a superior room which was smaller than the other rooms but still had a balcony and a reasonable view. My first thought is as the rooms overlook the hotel opposite and although its not fashionable to have 'nets', perhaps a muslin type drape that could be drawn over so that guests in the other hotel are not able to look straight into your room. The little extras were delightful and to have a choice of refreshments was superb. I had booked one of the reflexology sessions offered and found the therapist both delightful, friendly and very good, well done and thank you! The bathroom was beautifully decorated and clean. The bed looked lovely but was the most uncomfortable mattress..was it a very old memory foam?? it was very lumpy and in fact sloped down on one side..awful nights sleep. The TV set control was terrible to use, no instructions and couldnt fathom how to turn off or on...simply pressed buttons which had very tiny buttons and text had worn off. Arrival was pretty good and the feeling of being cared for by taking up your suitcase is simply ...no lift! My room was literally the top of the stairs which meant I heard every movement up and down the stairs..so not good. One member of staff, a young lad was very helpful and friendly. The older gentleman who seemed to always be there never once spoke with me, even when clearing my table. Breakfast had a good range on offer. Although on my first morning the blonde middle aged waitress chose to embarass me in a very loud voice, if you dont know who your guests are dont make assumptions. Directing me to a table in a corner with no view (as a single guest when there were tables opposite that had a view of the terrace) I also noticed that my breakfast seemed to be somewhat 'different' to that of other guests who had ordered the same thing. The next morning I went to sit in the same seat as there was no-one to meet guests in the dining room. This same waitress saw me and came up to me and once again in a loud voice chose to embarass me in front of other guests by saying that this table is laid for three you will have to move. I am astounded that a waitress even thought that was the right thing to say or do in hotel where I was paying a premium rate. I simply looked at her and she then went off and back came the gentleman mentioned earlier who never spoke to me and started clearing plates etc. to the other table making it even more obvious..why?!! You surely have more plates that you could have finished off the other table. By now both of them were clearing my table. How very very rude of you both and appalling way to treat a guest. Needless to say whatever style of cuisine you have I felt that my long anticipated Newlyn Smoked Haddock perhaps should have been slightly more than 1.5 inches by 3 inches on a plate at least ten inches in size.......suspect I was penalised. I shant mention my dinner in my room..the crab I had so looked forward to was ruined by the 'Chef's' use of 'flavouring'. Coming from a family of Chefs and with one being a Corporate Chef I do have a little knowledge of food and hotel service over the years having stayed in many places across the world. This hotel is trying to be a chic and luxury hotel and is some cases succeeds with the thoughtful refreshments facilities in your room, the delightful balcony (although some attempt should be made to screen you from the other guests and hotel opposite) but its not one I would recommend nor would stay again, which is a shame as I had so looked forward to staying there for some years but with staff such as that waitress do not enjoy being embarassed and marring my stay. You need to train staff appropriately not let them simply do the job over the years and consider them experienced. This was a retirement present to myself as well as a slight business trip. I have been fair however in my ratings as I dont think you should be penalised for your attempts.

Room Tip: Bear in mind you are overlooking another hotel and ask for a room not quite so opposite the other ho...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Linda H
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

As every review says this hotel is superb. The staff, restaurant and views are all fantastic. The staff were professional and friendly, they genuinely looked like they enjoyed their jobs and helping customers, a rare thing these days. The restaurant was first class with a superb menu and presentation. As everyone says the views from the bedrooms is great and relaxes you as soon as you arrive.

The only downside of our visit was the noise from the room above us. If you can get a room on the top floor as I think the owners forgot to use any sound insulation when building the rooms. We stayed at the Mount Haven and were woken every morning at 6.30am by the sound of the people above walking around their room. We came away more tired than when we arrived!!

If the hotel could fix this issue it would get 6 stars from me.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul E
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Have recently returned from another lovely stay at Mount Haven. I can't rate this hotel highly enough. The staff are all excellent - friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Food is amazing - breakfast is a feast!. Rooms are lovely, excellent beds and bed linen. Normally not a good sleeper but always a great night's sleep at Mount Haven. A perfect match of east meets wait creating a calmness which is unrivalled anywhere else I have ever stayed. I cannot wait to return!!

Room Tip: Try for a balcony with sea view - tremendous!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank clare190277
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We are on day one of our stay at Mount Haven. What a superb hotel! The hotel staff are friendly and informative but not intrusive. The welcome and ambience is friendly and the atmosphere relaxing and comfortable. The best of all is that the hotel welcomes dogs and so our terrier has been able to join us in the bar for our pre-dinner drinks and after dinner coffee. On the subject of food, we have not enjoyed such a glorious meal in a very very long time. The food is exceptional and congratulations to the chef. We look forward to our trip to St Michael's Mount tomorrow.....oh and another point....had it not been for Caroline Quentin and her TV series on Cornwall we may never have been inspired to make the 379 mile journey. It is worth every mile and we will be here again!

Room Tip: As we were travelling with Hugo the terrier we stayed in room 21 which had a private patio that led...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
tampa, FL
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Our whole experience at this hotel was excellent. On arrival, we were given coffees and relaxed in the hotel bar, which has superb views over st michaels mount. Our room was perhaps not the best in the hotel in that our room view was blocked by a tree, and we were very close to the bottom of the stairs and way through to the bar, but the noise was generally minimal and we had been made aware of the restricted view on booking. However, the room itself was excellent with large and comfortable beds, an airy and light feel and decor and fresh flowers each day. Our meal in the restaurant was excellent. Staff were constantly attentive (but not overly so) and helpful throughout.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marazion
Marazion Hotel
Driftwood Hotel
Driftwood Hotel
#1 of 2 in Trewithian
Tregenna Castle Resort

Been to Mount Haven Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!