Review Highlights
Unique and fascinating historic site to visit

Reviewed today
YoyoC114
London, United Kingdom
Fascinating history on this mysterious island

Reviewed 3 days ago
Ian C
London, United Kingdom
via mobile

4,006 results
All reviews national trust low tide steep climb boat ride tide times cobbled path sail loft visit st car park walk up small boat well worth the effort nt members views are amazing per adult magical place mobility issues
Reviewed today

I have been fascinated with St. Michael's Mount. To me, it looks like a mysterious island and you can walk to there on foot in certain period of time when the tide went away. The rest of the time you can only travel by boat or amphibious vehicle. I really really really wanted to walk on the causeway. Unfortunately on that day I had to catch earlier train back to London and I could not stay until 4.30pm when tide started to go away. And one way boat trip costs GBP 2 (costly.... but this was the only way to travel at that time).
I did not regret of paying that much and go all the way up to St. Michael's Mount castle. I was amazed how this site have been preserved since the Bronze Age. I am so glad that most of the site is still opened to visitors. It is a total different experience in castle visiting. Of course, the sea view from the study room and other rooms is really amazing.
I suggest before visiting you have to check the time of the tide. Taking boat/ walking on causeway would be very different experience. It is a good visiting site for people in different age.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

If you visit, check the times of the tides so that you use the amphibious vehicle (in winter) one way and walk over the causeway the other, to get the best of your visit. In summer there are other boats from 3 locations.

We had a fascinating guided tour of the Castle by Paul, combining mysteries such as the fabled dragon who still resides in the well with history of the various phases oc the Castle as monastery, fortress and family home.

There is much to see inside, with different interiors from different periods, including the 'Strawberry Hill' Gothick tooms from the 18th century and the historic chapel, plus family portraits and military collections.

A great morning out, which we ended with an excellent late lunch in the Sail Loft and Island Cafe.

Reviewed 6 days ago

We visit st Michaels mount every year we come to Cornwall. There is something for every one, young and old. There is the beach to have a walk along, rocks fir little ones to climb on, rock pools to explore when the tide is out. Great gifts shops serving quality gifts and a restaurant and cafe, serving good tasty food and drinks. The climb(well walk) up to the castle isn’t ideal for the less mobile, but it is worth the uphill walk. It is national trust so this is extra if you are not a NT member. Generally in half term they do treasure hunts/quizzes for the children to keep them occupied while you go around the house. The view from the top is great, and rocks to sit in for your picnic at the top. A lovely place and well worth a visit

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

We visited on a pretty stormy day which was definitely an experience!!
Would definitely recommend visiting.
Going across on the amphibian was fun, it’s costs £6 return per person.
Although it would be nice to walk across the path at low tide too, we were a couple of minutes too late to do this.
It is a guided tour in winter so we found out lots of interesting info.
There were a few in our group who struggled with the steep climb so be aware of this if you struggle with mobility.

Reviewed 1 week ago

I visited the place with my teenage daughter and we were so happy with our day spent there! We planned everything in advance and checked the tide timetable, so we had a walk both to and from the island (highly recommended). Little climb to the castle, walk around the island and visit to the castle itself - great day and unforgettable experience, especially as we were blessed with a nice, sunny weather.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Happy to be local enough to visit very many times a year. No matter what the season it always worth a stroll along to, near to or up close to, you don't have to climb it to appreciate it. I love to photograph this place as to lots of people, just an iconic piece of our County.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Great place to see. Lovely views and plenty to see and do . Kids had a lovely day running around and exploring. Amenities were good, cafes and pubs very welcoming. Parking was no problem.

1  Thank cathsharman123
Reviewed 1 week ago

This is just yet another “must see” in Cornwall. The tide was in so we had to take a boat over. A quick trip but in and of itself that was fun! Would have been fun to walk over (and free) but not to be, The “house” is fascinating but we loved the grounds and gardens! The views fron the island are gorgeous. It was a beautiful day and we walked and walked and just loved hanging out. And the local ice cream was scrumptious!

1  Thank janischilds

Love this place.
Never been here before and really enjoyed it with our teenage daughters.
We will be going again

1  Thank LucyJ571
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

I know this sounds awful - but I wasn't that bothered about going on this trip but I am so glad I did! It was very special from beginning to end and not in the least because everyone on the St Michael's Mount team was so helpful and friendly. Our tour guide Anna (with the extraordinary pink hair!) Was so wonderful, knowledgeable and so helpful and entertaining. The time just flew!
We walked over the Causeway to the Mount and then had a really fun ride back to the mainland on the amphibious boat - that, in itself, was very entertaining and well worth the £3 (each way) fare. The tearooms were exemplary and the nicest of staff. The tea was great too! BUT the actual tour of the Castle was sublime... I was expecting a few damp sultry rooms and it was anything but.... it was superb! A steep climb up to the Castle but boy was it worth it. Its an absolute masterpiece. You really,really have to visit! What a gem.

1  Thank Kathy315994