“Stunning Historical Island”

and up
Spectacular West Cornwall Highlights Luxury Private Tour from Devon
Ranked #1 of 10 things to do in Marazion
More attraction details
Owner description: Cross the causeway where a legendary giant once walked. Follow the footsteps of pilgrims or boat hop to an island where modern life meets layers of history. Discover an evocative castle, a sub-tropical garden paradise and a close-knit island community.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 28, 2012

OK - cost a little expensive but FREE in you're a member of the NT. Do NOT attempt the causeway walk or the climb in flip-flops. Foot-ware priority: strong boots, well-fitting trainers (Americans call them tennis shoes). I was in trainers and was ok but boots would have had the edge. The causeway and many of the paths are cobbled. You can take a boat tide permitting - don't know the cost so plan your trip according to the tide timetable (Google it or on display at the harbour) as at high tide the causeway is impassable. Really surprised at the history and the decor. It was so interesting with helpful and friendly staff at sentry only too eager to explain, so do ask. Take a camera and explore the garden too. You can purchase a castle ticket, a garden ticket or one combined. It is a hike up with rest stations but even those with a walking stick managed it. Give yourself 3 hours to really appreciate the island and to take in the views. Binoculars might prove useful. Picnics are accommodated in several areas, one of which is within a kiddies' play area but there is a cafe and a National Trust restaurant for those travelling light. Car park: there's a Council version by the old station for those with a weekly Cornwall pass (Google in advance of your holiday if you want one). If you need to pay to park I suggest you get a berth in a private car-park as near as possible as you'll be exercising your legs enough on the climbs. Shop has local produce (rhubarb wine) and ice-cream is available for those of us who never grow up.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,732)
All reviews
in 51 reviews
"sunny day"
in 83 reviews

Reviewed June 25, 2012

As often seems to be the case, the map location is wrong, given that this is an island. I don't suppose anyone is going to go to the wrong place though!
We were able to walk both ways, but not an easy walk if you have any mobility problems - the causeway is very uneven cobbles and the climb to the castle itself even more difficult. This is not a complaint as there is no way to alter these things without changing the character of the place.
It is, though, quite a magical place and the castle is very interesting, well maintained and displayed, with helpful people on hand to provide information.
It suffers from the usual National Trust problem of being a bit overpriced (and with no concessionary reductions). The main problem is that it doesn't open till 10:30, by which time there were crowds of people waiting to buy tickets or go in; goodness knows what it will be like if we actually get a summer. I mentioned this to a couple of staff, who said they knew - it seems the problem may be 'higher up' in the organisation.

Reviewed June 25, 2012

We looked on the website before we visited to check accessibility (having a 10mth old baby) and it advises pushchairs aren't suitable and not permitted up to castle, but recommends baby carriers or hip seats which they provide FOC. Having used a hip seat before at other tourist attractions this didn't faze us. However once we started the ascent up to the castle it really became clear that it was not suitable at all to carry a child. Slippery cobbles, unsure footings, handrails not on all sections....and then it started to rain! It's a nasty accident waiting to happen. How their H &S risk assessment permitts this is incredible. When we came back down one of the staff actually said to us in not so many words that it was not suitable for carrying infants. I can only think they do not publish this in case they get a reduction in numbers!
The mount, castle and gardens lovely to visit, but think twice if you have little ones!

3  Thank LynK31
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We got the boat over as the tide was still in and thoroughly enjoyed the visit. The castle itself is interesting and the interior is surprisingly modern, light and airy. The walk up to the castle is on the Pilgrim's Way, a path which is cobbled and uneven but it is god exercise! And the tide had receded by the time we were heading back to the mainland so we were able to paddle along the causeway which is an amusing experience! Definitely worth a visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My partner and I took the bus from Penzance to Marazion and because the tide was in we were not able to walk to St. Michael's Mount but instead took a boat across with 8 other people and a dog (owned by the boatman).....it was a great ride and when we reached the National Trust entrance the lady asked us if we had any trouble walking up steps. "Of course not," we replied," filled with the glee of an adventure ahead. But after climbing up the steps made from uneven rocks and stones, I now know why there was a church at the top, as I was going to say a prayer of thanks for having made it to the top. There was also a strong wind and at times walking in an unsteady fashion, I felt as if I might be blown off the steps and out to sea, but then I am a "weenie" when it comes to this sort of thing. The intrepid British, my partner included, sprinted up the steps past me like frolicking lambs on an English hillside. Personally, I think I should get some sort of metal for reaching the top without breaking my ankle and then another metal for not careening into an 80 year old man on the way down again. I kept hearing another woman in front of me saying, "heels down first and relax". My legs were like jello when I finally reached the bottom, my partner having reached the bottom with no trouble at all. Aside from the torture climb, there are many interesting things kept at St. Michael's Mount including a lock of Napoleon's hair in a picture frame. I wonder if Napoleon had trouble climbing the stone steps or maybe lost his hat in the wind......all in all it was an adventure and a test of fortitude for my feet. Not recommended for sissies or wimps.