“Great for special occasions”

Ben's Cornish Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Marazion
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 44th Wedding Anniversary here last night. We had been before, so we knew it would be good, but it surpassed expectations. The chef is very inventive, and quite honestly I could have had anything from the menu and enjoyed it. As it was, I had seared scallops with chorizo jam on a pea puree, followed by pan-fried lamb with cannelloni stuffed with shredded lamb on a bed of ratatouille with chick peas and lamb jus, and finished off with lemon verbena pannacotta. We had a glass of champagne to start, with a bottle of well-priced tempranillo to wash down the main course. Excellent value at £102 for two (including drinks). I would definitely go again, but only on a special occasion, or if someone else was buying (hint, hint).

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We came into the restaurant for lunch and asked if it was ok to bring in a our small dog - they were only too willing to be hospitable. The food and service is very top quality and the kids meals were terrific value

2  Thank Sean H
Reviewed July 10, 2014

This was our second experience with Ben's Kitchen. Once again we were not disappointed. The food, and service was faultless. I don't eat meat (fish is ok) and often feel restricted with the menu, but have to say that I was impressed with the options. The crab and lobster ravioli as a starter was just yummie!! Have no idea how the chef got the combination to work so well - tasted just wonderful. I had hake as my main and this was delicious too. I was intrigued by the Asian fusion dessert - mixture of spices, and tropical fruit - the blend was amazing - so refreshing. I like the fact that the whole atmosphere is just relaxing and staff very friendly. We had booked for 7.30pm, and the place was just buzzing, and good sea views too. Probably good to book between 7&8pm. It did go a little quieter after 8.30pm but still a very pleasant atmosphere. The only criticism I have is that we only got the one offering of the delicious bread - another helping would have been very welcomed. This would be our regular restaurant if only we lived locally.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

One of the best meals out in nearly 50 years!
Superb food, service and surroundings. Would go there regularly if Ben's wasn't nearly 5 hours drive away!. Just superb and a wonderful evening! Wasn't sure about the lemon verbena fizz at first but was glad I had a glass... Wonderful culinary experience, brave choice of ingredients throughout the menu but all married perfectly.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

I was told that Ben's Cornish Kitchen was great but was nevertheless surprised by the quality of the food.

We had the most amazing meal.

I have eaten in some good restaurants but have to say this rates as one of the best ever.

We began with crab and lobster ravioli - fabulous.

My main course, lobster wit herb butter, was excellent but, even more typical of this place, the accompanying salad was too. My husband had the line caught trout with crab potato salad, fennel and orange, which was really delicious.

Generally I am not a desert person but the Sweet Curry Plate was a taste sensation, just sweet enough - the same went for the chocolate and salted caramel desert with peanut butter ice cream.

It really restores confidence in Cornish restaurants when you find a place like this. We have access to the most amazing fresh produce here in Cornwall but so many places, whilst boasting locally sourced produce, actually fail to do it justice.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the bread - we were offered a choice of focaccia or fennel bread - both completely gorgeous - and it was served before the starters with olive oil and balsamic. Yum!

Ben's Kitchen is just a wonderful place to eat and enjoy the relaxed surroundings and the staff are great too.

Thank you so much and see you soon.