“Best food @Azores”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We loved the place and went there thrice as it was by far the best food at the Azores we had. The location is lovely directly at the sea and a little bit outside of Madalena. Be aware that the location is not properly placed on Google Maps. So better ask at your hotel or someone else how to get there.

Staff is very friendly and helpful and the place is stylish as well. Our favorites were the Cataplana Ancoradouro, Fish on the Stick, Gambas a la Plancha and the DESSERTS!

1  Thank Blackmage1

Reviewed August 9, 2012

It was suggested by our host in Pico that warmly recommend it for a fish-based dinners.

The place is good looking, a taverna-like small restaurant with room for large groups, one of that places that let you think about "traditional" when you step inside.

The menu looks like an encyclopedia of portuguese cuisine with pages and pages of courses (usually this makes me feel a bit suspicious about the quality). Instead of a Cataplana (we had it enough during our holidays!) we decided to go for a classic Arroz com mariscos: it arrived on our table in a old-style pot, hot and smoking, very rich in seafood and the taste was great, but...

To our disappointment we noticed that the rice was parpoiled (unexpected in a traditional style restaurant) and, a lot worse, we found a piece of surimi still wrapped in plastic (ok it's food-contact plastic but I prefer that it go somewhere else, not in my dish). We courteously report this to the lady and we received a smile in return like nothing happened.

Probably many people had a better experience and love this restaurant but, after our dinner, I think about "tourist-trap" when I remember it.

1  Thank Tajarinon
Reviewed August 8, 2012

A bit removed from the town center of Madalena, with a nice terrace overlooking the sea, this place has great grilled fish and seafood, excellent traditional dishes (try octopus Pico style), and surprisingly good desserts, including a fabulous chocolate and coconut cake. It is so much better than anything else we had in Pico that we came back three times... Heartily recommended.

1  Thank Lutetian
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I had a devil of a time finding this restaurant. It's in a suburb of Madalena that is a short drive or 15 minute walk from the town. But, at the time I was there in May 2012, the primary location of the restaurant was being renovated and they had set up a temporary location diagonally across the street from the address published here and elsewhere on the Internet.

Well - I must say it was worth finding this restaurant. It's a very casual place with excellent food. I went there for lunch and ordered the tuna stew. It arrived in a pot with enough stew to feed 3 people - and a reasonable price for one person.

When I asked about the White Port of Portugal, the owner brought me two glasses to sample the various ports - at no charge. The food and wine at this restaurant are fantastic - and the prices are incredible.

I spend a relaxing lunch at this restaurant and will definitely return on future visits.

1  Thank GareThere
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Simple mostly traditional good food donne with love, local house wine very good, fresh fish. A place to eat safely and good in Pico!

2  Thank rostodocao