“Frequent Dinners”

Ranked #1 of 1 New Hamburg B&B and Inns
Ontario
“Frequent Dinners”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I love the Puddicombe House restaurant. Chef Lance is very creative and everything is always so great. Love the use of local foods and how the menu is always changing. This is always our date night getaway. I gave also experienced a mother daughter pedicure in the spa. I was pleased with the staff and the way they are with the children and the prices are resonable.

1 Thank mellicious

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Haslett, Michigan
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed here two nights for a get away weekend. Loved the quiet town, quiet location. The room and bed were large, with nice jacuzzi tub. Quaint old house. Friendly but not intrusive host. Breakfasts were wonderful. Not a busy place; is near to Stratford but without the bustle. We found a totally cool water wheel at the local park. Nearby shops quaint and unique. Restaurant not to be missed. AMAZING food elegantly presented.

2 Thank flowerdocs
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Great little place on the way to Stratford. We booked one night over the weekend; it was perfect. We stayed in the Stock Room, each room has its own décor and feel - the staff allowed me to take a look at all the rooms because they were unoccupied. The lady who checked us was very sweet and really accommodating. Lunch was very good and the atmosphere was even better. The room came with hot breakfast, which was delicious! I would recommend this Inn and next time, I will book the Puddicome Room, it was beautiful.

Room Tip: puddicome or jackson
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had the opportunity to have dinner at this location. It was a Friday evening and we were the only two people in the restaurant. We left at 6:00 pm. The food although presented very well was not good. The chicken was very dry. Almost as if it had been prepared on another day and held over. I would not return for the food. The building itself is beautiful. A shame the food didn't do the building justice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Stormwatchinguelph
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Friends of ours arranged for a room for us at the Puddicombe after our wedding at Kitchener City Hall. We stayed in the Jackson room with a comfortable King size canopy bed. The bed was covered in local handmade quilts that were so detailed and beautiful. We learned at breakfast, before the Cressman family purchased it the house, it was last used as an apartment complex. They have taken great care restoring the house and putting in place beautiful antiques and modern amenities.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AdventureSeeker99
Waterloo, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Geoff and I stayed at the Puddicombe House on Friday night, February 1, 2013. It was a very pleasant experience from arrival to departure.
The owners, Karen and Lyle Cressman, were the perfect hostess and host and they made us feel at home.
Alison greeted us on arrival and Crystal was our waitress. They were very courteous.
We enjoyed our dinner on Friday night. The appetizer (meat and cheese board for two), main courses (chicken supreme and fish special) and dessert (cheesecake) were delicious. Geoff also enjoyed the beer :)
The breakfast on Saturday morning was a bit different but quite nice.
The Cressmans have done a wonderful job of renovating this 1868 house and making it into a lovely B and B place. We will recommend it for its appearance and the service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Maureen W
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 1, 2013

As someone who travels often for business and typically stays at moderate+ hotels like Hampton Inn (and higher when fortunate) and who is a bit worn-out with the daily oatmeal for breakfast, the Puddicombe House and service by Lyle, Karen and staff was a great reliever, and mini-getaway even though I was in the area on business.

First, the owners were quite helpful and accommodating with my very late arrival. From the outside the Puddicombe House looks like a historical home. When I entered, the house presented a well kept property with many of its vintage appointments. It was a bit fun to look around and see what appeared to be a lot of the original home details.

I stayed in the Schippling room: a decent size room, with a king size bed, closet, sitting chair, gas fireplace, floor to ceiling window (with curtain :) ) and a VERY nice bathroom. Visually, the room looked perfectly restored to its original intent, but a longer look made me aware of a good sized flat panel TV, what looked to be heated tile floors in the bathroom, new-looking wall mounted air conditioner and a full jacuzzi bath / shower -- yes, with showerhead. The wifi access in my room was quite good for catching up on email after my customer visit, and wifi was available throughout the house.

Both mornings of my stay, I started the day with excellent breakfasts, so if you stay here, be sure to wake up hungry! My customer and colleagues also scheduled a dinner at the house during my stay. The dinner was also the same excellent quality meal and service as experienced with the lodging. I would consider the dinner not quite super fine dining, which is a plus for me. The quality of food, preparation and creativity of the dishes was excellent and wide ranging. It was burger night, and one of my dinner-mates described it as the best burger they've had. The table started with a sea scallop + bacon starter, which looked and was described as very good (I did not try it). My dinner was a quarter chicken on a ragout, my memory does not recall the ragout ingredients. My memory DOES recall the dish to be very tasty.

Hopefully I will be in the area again, and if so, I will definitely bring my wife to experience this very nice B&B and also the spa housed in the basement. It looked like a great place for a special weekend with your favorite person.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Waterloo - St Jacobs
Newburg Inn
Newburg Inn
#1 of 1 in New Hamburg

Been to Puddicombe House? Share your experiences!